General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
We used to have two "Bobs". We christened them both "Bob" because that's what they seemed to be saying to each other as they swam around...

Anyway, back on topic... Nextdoor started minding their grandkids' guinea-pigs while they were on holiday, and they're still here now! Apparently the kids' mum said she didn't want them back unless the kids started looking after them properly themselves, and anyway the guinea-pigs have settled well with Grandma and she has become quite attached to them herself... :)
Ahhh the guinea pig bug - once you get a guinea pig you are hooked, believe me!
When we had our dog my Mum & Dad used to have him.He never wanted to come home.He had cornflakes in the morning,Cappucino and chicken breast for Dinner.Dad said once mmmm dinner smells nice and then was told it's not yours it's the dogs,your sandwiches are over there.Then Dad used to run around in the garden throwing hankies in the air for him to jump up and catch.The dog would ignore us when we got back for a week.He would be sighing all week!
I put my Jack Russell Terrier Sam in kennels for two weeks. First holiday abroad and first time in kennels for dog. I was thinking of him whilst on holiday wondering if he was missing us or having a ball with the four times a day walks.

When we collected him he jumped so high I thought he'd be able to sit on my shoulders! Back home and back to the usual routine of getting the Dyson out twice a day for those darn dog hairs.

The kennels had very friendly staff and were very clean I was even allowed to visit without prior arrangement which was reassuring.
A friend comes and stays at ours with Skye the Rottie but this year has been an animal care nightmare as we are taking Son, DIL and grandson away next week and we have had to arrange care for two horses, two Bengal cats and a German short-haired pointer puppy. :shock:

Other son was looking after the cats but decided to jet of to the US instead, I'm still arranging that one. The horses are going on holiday to a friends yard and the puppy is staying with yet another son and DIL :roll:

By the time everyone has been paid for the animal care this is going to work out a very expensive holiday. :x
For our main holidays, if abroad the cat and dog go to boarding kennels- not cheap it was another £260 on top of the holiday! If we go self catering in the UK we like to take the dog with us and the cat still has to go to a cattery as he's too set in his ways to trust him with a neighbour and have him stay at home. We are away for a few days later this year, so as it's a short break the dog will go to the inlaws and yes you've guessed it the cat is booked into the cattery. Only once tried to leave him at home with timed dishes- returned home to find the food still there and no sign of cat, then the penny dropped no-one had opened the front door for him each night at 10!! And yes we do have a cat flap.

Pam :D
I had a friend come and stay at my house and left her food etc in and some money for a takeaway, much cheaper than a cattery and no upheaval for my 2 cats, however next time I go my neighbour is going to sort them and I wil buy him a pack of beer, and hes not even a cat lover bless him
Chuck them outside and let them fend for themselves and if I am in a very good mood I shot them. :wink:
I have put our dog in the kennels before when going abroad but she was'nt her self when we fetched her back. Now we leave her with a lady who owns the house where my son rents and she loves our dog to pieces,she asked us if she could keep her she says she's the best tempered dog she's ever met it puts my mind to rest knowing she is well looked after and we treat the lady to lots of prezzies.
Well cant think of a user name..............
Dont think you will be receiving an award for pet owner of the year from RSPCA !!!!!! :shock:
Cat always went to the cattery until the day dawned (heaven bless) that the kids were too old to come with us and then they looked after him.
We use a kennels which is set in private woodland and their excercise routine for him is just to let him off the lead & he charges off so they don't have to do anything other than keep their eyes on him! First time he went, he came home & did his toilet on the carpet as a kind of "screw you" but now he loves going and his little friend will be going with him for the first time next week. don't know how they'll handle 2 of them!
I put them in the freezer then defrost them when I get home :wink:

I have 3 Cats, 1 stays next door, hes extremely nervous and I think a stay at a cattery would probably be too much for him. My other 2 boys go into a Cattery. Blinkin expensive this year as we are going for 3 weeks, for what ive paid for the boys we could have a short break away :shock: Still, its worth every penny as I know they will be safe and are being very well looked after.
Dog - Jake - goes to the kennels - has been going for 5 years or more now, even if we just have a night away he goes. He loves it, goes nuts when he gets there, gets regular walks, let loose to charge around during the day and lovely heated pen at night :)
The Kit-cats - well, if its just one or two nights the couple next door feed them, any longer and they have always gone to the cattery before but this November, bonfire night will be well out of the way so we're leaving them home alone with various 'bods' coming in to feed them.
Fish - a holiday feeding block type thing, they havent died of starvation yet :D
We have 2 goldfish in a pond outside (Smash and Grab!) and are going to Majorca for a week on Saturday. Do I need to get someone to come in and feed them? They are only fed once every couple of days now and my other half seems to think they will be fine for a week as when we moved in we didnt know they were in there for nearly a month, so they werent fed! I felt so guilty but apparantly at this time of year they dont eat much anyway?
I was told that goldfish can survive for a fortnight without food by our local petshop, but whether that applies to outside ones i don't know. However you can get blocks to put in for slow release food.Pets at home or anywhere like that will sell them.
Have a good time

Pam :D
My 2 Guinea pigs are going to a Guinea Boarding place, my 2 female buns are off to bunny boarding and my house bunny is off to stay with Grandma & Grandad, also the hammy is off to stay with friends who also have a hammy, so he has a great time!

Normally friends & family muck-in and come round to feed but going away for 7 weeks, so it's a bit much to expect them to look after them all this time! I'll miss them all very much though! :cry:
luckily for us my son doesnt want to come on holiday with us any more so and he still lives at home so she stays with him and i know is much happier staying at home than kennels, although she still goes off her food, father in law comes everyday too to take her out for walks so shes extra spoilt
Never had a holiday last year, with us taking on our rescue doggy, (and was a bit apprehensive about putting him in kennels) but this year he stayed with a friend, I was soooo worried about how he would be, he was absalutly fine, all the worrying for nothing, when mate picked him up, he just ran and sat in the back of the car, without a second glance at us, and here was me in tears :oops: so for the future, she will have our dog, and we have hers when she goes away :)
Luckily I have 3 brothers, so one of them always stays in the house with the cat and also a very good friend whose a cat lover, so he pops in durning the day, whilst whichever bruv is at work :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.