EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
A non-resident property owner must have a NIE number (National Identity Number) so that your names can be registered on the deeds and amongst otherthings so that you can register with the Hacienda for the payment of your annual Income Tax, Wealth Tax and Local Rates, also to you to make any significant purchases such has major electrical goods, car etc.

Ours was arranged by lawyers and was included in their overall fees for the purchase.
In most cases (though not all) you also need your NIE number to pay the transfer taxes or VAT on the purchase of the property. This has to be done within one month of signing at the notary otherwise you incur fairly substantial surcharges.

If you are only now considering your application for a NIE and you have already purchased the property it is unlikely that you will get the number within the time limit for paying the taxes.

In this case you should ensure that your lawyer does not try to pass on the surcharges on the transfer tax or VAT as it is his responsibility to ensure that you have all the documentation in place to complete your purchase.
Hiya John

we bought and paid in 03, we have deeds and have done the notary via the solicitor - - all taxes etc have been paid? Don't ask me how though?

Our solictor has told us he needs the number to transfer the rates from the vendor to us the owners, all residents are being asked the same.

However, I heard that some Spanish residents are refusing to sign because the builders still have works to finish and they feel, probably justifiably, that the builders will finsih the work much quicker if they continue to be resposnible for electirc, rates etc. The saga of Mojacar...........

Don't put that in your local gossip column though LOL

Diane
Hi, I'm Beachcomber not Beachcomber_bar_Mojacar. I wouldn't want John to get the blame for my ramblings. :lol:

Although the developer will continue to be responsible for electricity bills until the utility contracts are signed I think that the rates (if by rates you mean IBI urbana) will continue to accrue and that you will eventually have to pay the backlog.
Hi Beachcomber

Was just reading you post about the NIE number. When I approached our agent (don't have a solicitor) he said we would have to be out in person to apply for it. We are going out in May to sign for our property and then we were going to apply for the number. I assumed we would pay our transfer tax and all other charges on the day of signing.

Is this not the case :?

C & C
The situation regarding NIE numbers is in utter chaos at the moment. You don't say where you are purchasing but in Fuengirola, for example, it is taking four to five months.

Whilst you may be able to sign at the notary without your NIE numbers it is most likely that you will not be able to pay the transfer taxes, which have to be paid within a month of signing at the notary, without them. I say 'most likely' because there are some places where they do not insist on NIE numbers for the payment of taxes.

It is certainly true that you have to apply for them in person. It used to be possible for someone with your power of attorney and certifiied copies of your passports to apply for them on your behalf. But this has been stopped. Well, in theory, anyway. I did just this a couple of weeks ago in Torremolinos police station and they did not bat an eyelid.

You can see, then, that it is impossible to give a definitive answer to queries about obtaining NIE numbers because everyone's experience is going to be different.

All I can do is wish you good luck.
My brother lives in Tenerife and according to him you cannot do anything without this NIE number. He said as I saw in one of your other replies it can just depend on what kind of mood the police officer is in on the day!!!! He said to get work you need an NIE number but to get your NIE in the first place you need a full contract of employment!!!! Crazy...good luck.
New User...

6 HTPoints

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:48 pm Post subject: Tenerife NIE number - whats it all about?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a fantastic website, first time I have used it. My family and I are moving to Tenerife later this year. Thats the good news.

I have heard so many stories about this NIE number, you cannot get an NIE without a full contract? However you cannot get a full contract without an NIE?

You cannot open a bank account with your NIE? You cannot get your personal belongings cleared through customs with your NIE?

Do you have to registar at the town hall first in South Tenerife before applying for your NIE at the police station?

One more question while I am carrying on, will my 2 year old need an NIE number to start school, get health care or anything else.

Can someone show me the light

Thanking anyone in advance
Karl
Karl, as we have an existing topic on this subject, I've transferred your post over to avoid duplication.

Bawbee :wave
ankhasenamen
Three Star Member

12 HTPoints

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:12 pm Post subject: NIE clarification please.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, moving to Tenerife in 2 weeks, just got into a argument with my mum who lives there, about NIE's.

She claims you need a work contract to get one, I say you do not. Help!!! Who is right?

Also, do you still need a residencia?

Dianne & Colin
Two Star Member

162 HTPoints

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:38 pm Post subject:

You need an NIE number to be able to work in tenerife
not the other way round.

you can get your NIE from the police station.

Dianne

ankhasenamen
Three Star Member

12 HTPoints

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:46 pm Post subject:

Thanks Dianne, that is what I was trying to tell her!! But you know parents, think they know it all

liveintenerife
New User...

8 HTPoints

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:04 pm Post subject: NIE's

We are moving to Tenerife later in the year. My brother lives in South Tenerife. Dont want to worry you but I have been told it all depends on what kind of a mood the police officer is in on the day, you cannot get an NIE without a work contract and you cannot get a work contract without an NIE. When I was there in January I was told this exact info by the tourist office!!!! I was also told by the tourist office the first thing you need to do is registar at the local town hall. Crazy stuff. Good luck.

ankhasenamen
Three Star Member

12 HTPoints

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:27 pm Post subject:

That is what my mum was saying!! Even though legally you get an NIE then a contract, the police are being awkward and saying it has to be the other way around.

Dianne & Colin
Two Star Member

162 HTPoints

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:45 pm Post subject:

the estate agents we bought from in tenerife arranged for someone to take us to the police station to get our NIE. filled the forms in and were in the station for about 10 mins no problems. not heard anything about the awkward police.

I think you only need the number for paying bills in your name ie. water, electric etc

Dianne

Our agent told us the same. They said they would help us to get our NIE numbers when we go out. When you paid for your apartment did you pay for the transfer taxes at the same time or had you to wait until you got your NIE number. Also did you need your number when purchasing your washing maching (if you bought one).

C & C
Laderas Appts.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.