Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
What luck
8 Posts
Hello again all, well my luck most have ran out I have just had a letter from the tour operator to say that the boat I was do to have has sunk and they will not be replaceing it, so as a alternative they have offered me a weeks mountaineering course. This involves climbing 5 of Malta's highest mountains, does anybody know how high these mountains are and will there be snow and ice at the tops.

Thanks,

Dave
well, I'd say Maghtab Mountain is probably one of the highest, while in Gozo, some of the peaks at Ta Cenc must have snow given the icy reception
Hello all, well I am back from a weeks all action holiday and what a week it was, It started with a free glass of pop on the plane and cold bacon butty so I thought this is going to be one of those weeks. After landing at Malta's new airport at Ta Qali all 30 winners of the prize had to fit into a 15 seater mini bus and of to the ultra luxurious Palm Court hotel for a week of high class food and drink with good all round entertainment every night.
So to the mountain climbing each mourning after a hearty feast we set of for the climb, the first day at the top of the mountain I along with two others got altitude sickness and had to be brought down by the moutain rescue team I did feel a fool.
After this I gave up on the second day out and spent my time round the pool, I did go on the next days climb as this was more a decent than a climb, we had to be tied to a peice of string and lowered down the cliffs at Ta Cenc and I had to be last down the cliff, there was a boat waiting at the bottom for us but when I was about 50 foot from the sea I looked up and could see a brown dog chewing on the rope and with a twang down I went well its a good job I can swim and the rope was long for most of it rapt round the propeller and only stoped when I was six foot from it.
The Captain of the boat went mad and told me that as I was already wet I would have clear it, so another great day out for me.
Day four went well this time got up the mountain and back ok, so to the last climb of the week this was the big one Mount Cisk the highest mountain in Malta, after a lesson on how to use a oxygen mask we set of for climb of our lives. after four hours we got to base camp for a well earned rest and a meat pie, we were told that in about a hour we would have to fit our oxygen masks, so of we all went, the cold we getting to most of us by now but on we went, the wind was getting stronger and stronger you could lean into it. Then we hit the snow line and it was time to put on the masks on we went leaning in to the wind, by this time the snow was blowing in our faces and the cold was colder, the leader told us just one more push for the top and we would soon be there. Well we all made it to the top it felt great to have done it, just over the ridge was a old hut built in 1923, I was told this hut was used in WW11 as a look out post but it had a large fire with a old man in it who looked like he had been here since the war, and we all soon got warm again.
After a cup of tea and a large brandy we all set of back down the easy side of the mountain the team leader told us it dos'nt take so long to get down on this side and he was right so after nine hours on the mountain we were back down to sea level on the bus and back to the hotel and a nice hot bath, only there was no hot water left when we got back not that it mattered that much for as I was walking by the swimming pool a young boy kicked his football only to hit me on the back of the head and knock me strait into the pool so I just gave up and went on the beer all night.
Day six I went Valletta for the day got the ferry to Sleima and had my dinner in the Army and Navy, and had a great time to finish my holiday.

Dave
you were lucky it was only a brown dog, and not the owner of Ta Cenc Mountain that threatened you. In fact, isn't this a photo of the dog watching you plummet to your near death ?

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/3496/peppaoe1.th.jpg
Hi Dave,

As an avid fly angler (NB please no sarcasm - I use the imitation flies to catch trout!), I was just wondering what the lakes, streams and mountain tarns have to offer? Did you see anyone fishing the lakes and would it be worthwhile me taking my gear if I decide to holiday in Malta?

Just to let you know that I also entered the competition for that holiday on Filfia and often wondered who the lucky blighter was that won. What was the hotel like on this Island? It looked fairly quiet when I looked at the photos in the Fontelroy's Catalogue of exclusive holiday destinations. This company offers another unique luxury accomodation on the Island and it's my guess that you booked up with them to stay at the prestigious Palmus Courtius.

Can't say I'm into mountain climbing unless there's a lake at the top but I guess it's each to his own!

Trev
Hello Mark, yes it did look like a dog like your's and had a cheeky grin on its face. and Trev, I never saw any fisher men near the Lakes but I was told how most years you can see the lesser spoted Maltese bear hunting for salmon in the spring when the salmon come back to Malta to spawn.
The Maltese lesser spoted bear were thought to be extinct untill a few years ago but have made a come back only around the lake area, although numbers are thought to be only a few pairs, so if you take your rod keep an eye out for the bears.

Dave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.