Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
Teena

How about Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria its god everything you need for familys plenty of places to eat and drink,also they have 2 commercial centres one at the top of the resort and one at the bottom , the one at the top is called the Europa centre and has trampolines arcades etc and the one at the bottom has a small park also some bungees.

We stayed at the Revoli playa apartments last year which is near the bottom of the hill and has everything you need and fairly clean, and we are booked to go to the Altamar next year which I have heard is good for familys, also heard the Terrazamar is good for family accommodation ;)
Hello, thank you for your prompt response, I have actually been to puerto rico twice in 1994 and 1999, i loved it as i was younger lol and no kids, but didnt like the cockroaches and all the hassle of the young english, irish, welsh, scottish etc getting u into the pubs, very demanding some of them, but as i was young lol i would go, so i dont want a place that i would be pestered every time i walked down to the centre, i know the centre at the top was quieter when we went, do they still hassle you all the time though, the cockroaches were horrible, they had a mcdonalds in the bottom centre, might not be there now, and the cockroaches loved it lol, i will have a look and see whats on offer and prices etc, but thank you very much, im not saying no, just want to know if its still as bad lol!
Teena

I only went last year and only seen a couple of cockroaches and they were dead, one was in the apartment bin when I went to put some rubbish in :yikes , the other 2 I seen were at the top centre and they were dead, I hate them and terrified of them and I have been told that they fumigate the areas quite often to try and stop them as its because of the weather.

Regarding the restaurant owners etc they do pester you a bit especially if you give them eye contact but we learnt to just walk by them no hassle whatsoever .

I'm going back next year and staying at the top of Puerto Rico and i'm hoping I dont see any cockroaches
We have just returned from 2 weeks at the Colina Mar (review posted) up by the Europa Centre and had a fantastic time.

As the rep on the bus said, there are two types of cockroaches on the island. The beetle type and the time share type. We saw one dead cockroach in the 2 weeks we were there.

The PRs outside the restaurants and bars do ask you to have a look at their menus or tell you what is on in their bars but a polite "not tonight thanks" or "perhaps tomorrow night" received the response of "thanks guys, have a good night, see you tmorrow".

By the time we were into the second week we would just get a hello or goood evening as we walked along. We had normally decided where we were going to eat before we had left our apartment and I can honestly say we were never hassled by any of them.

I have to add that we had some really good nights in xtreeemz bar. Russ the DJ is a very good host. Emma, Sarah and Charlotte make sure you dont go thirsty.
Thanks Tony for the review which can be found here

Sarah
Dont know what your tastes are as you are older now..but for me Puerto Rico is getting near my worst nightmare!! I prefer a quieter setting but not so quiet it can be compared to a graveyard!

So, i have suggestions for Taurito..which is a purpose built resort about 4 or 5 miles past PR..with a few hotels, a few shops, a few restaurants, an above average beach and a good bus service to PR or on to Puerto Mogan.

Puerto Mogan is my most fave place in the whole of the canary islands..little venice, cosmopolitan, touristy but not tacky..no hassle from timeshare or looky looky, nice restaurants and bars etc..busy yet quiet..

Mogan is about 15 miles past PR.

Transfer from airport is approx an hour to Mogan and 45 mins to Taurito,,,maybe abit less.

if you want busier and more "touristy" try Playa Del Ingles..literally the "beach of the english"..or Maspalomas...famous for the sand dunes..
or if you want really busy and similar to PDLA in Tenerife..go to PR..

PR does have alot to offer in terms of bars, entertainment, cheap places to stay etc and you can have a great time if that's what you are looking for..

Each to thier own as they say...
I stayed in the hotel lago taurito....in playa taurito....AI.....was brilliant......took 14yr old 23 yr old self and 50yr old hubby.....good base to explore from as regular bus to porta mogan , where can get regular buses to playa del inglaise ect......from taurito also regular bus to porta rica .....on AI plenty of free things to try....target shooting....archery....pool arobics...darts...fashion show ...pool and mini golf but only for children at certain times.....even a free scuba diving lesson in the pool.....free entrance to water park which is right outside hotel...not a noisey pushy place ...but nice for relaxing chill out family holiday.....we loved it and want to go back next year
Teena

You can read our Resort Reports, link at the top of the page, which may give you some ideas.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.