Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Dennys

Buy mosquito repellant out there - effective for most people and very cheap. They do sprays and creams. Make sure you use liberally for the evening - the little buggers start appearing around dusk. Best to wear trousers/long skirts in the evening also.

Re money, if you are getting to the resort by transfer coach wait until you get to your resort. If you are using a taxi get some at the airport but only change up say £20 as the rate there is appalling.

Enjoy the Goan experience. We go in two weeks - hip hip hooray.
only change up say £20 as the rate there is appalling.

When i was at the airport in Jan this year, i was told by the person at the exchange desk that the minimum i could change was 40pounds.
When i asked could i not just change 20pounds, he said no, minimum 40pounds.
I actually found him to be quite arrogant, not very nice.
Agree....buy mossie repellant there. Very cheap and effective so long as you remember to apply it!! Mosfree, Good Knight are two we've used that are good.

Don't use the cash exchange at the airport unless you have to. The rate is poor and they rip you off anyway. Not difficult with first time visitors unfamiliar with the currency and tired after a long flight.

You can pay the taxi desk in sterling if you're taking a taxi. I often give 'em £10 to Candolim. They're getting a very good tip but I'd rather the taxi driver had it than the money twisters!

Ignore all the case carriers etc at the airport. Just hold on to your bags and fight your way through to the tour operators by the door. It a real scrum but soon over!

Have a great time!! :D
been told about a plug in mozzie repelant can you buy them in candolim or should we get them before we go

do they actually work
In 10 years I've never noticed too much of a problem with mozzies, but to be safe I always have coils burning on the balcony at night.
They sell little plug in things for either liquid or mats. The ones for mats were 29 rupees a couple of weeks ago, don't buy one at the airport here they cost pounds.
I've always found it fine to wear shorts at night, but use Odomos lotion.
Didnt get bit once in Goa, but 13 times in one night in Jaipur.
Barry
I buy my Jungle Formula before I go, as I haven't spotted DEET in some of brands in Goa. Since mossies love me, I must get the highest level of DEET available in a repellent. I also then buy the coils available in the shops in Goa and burn them from just before dusk onwards on the balcony.
where do you buy this odomos lotion is itavailable here or in goa as it sounds like money well spent
Dunk you can buy odomos cream / spray / gel from either supermarkets, chemists or shops which sell drinks and cigs like the elephant shop.
Odomos didnt do anything for me, I still got bitten.
Ive got Boots Tropical formula this year, the lotion and the spray, some plug ins for the room, some Citronella spray and im taking b2 and Garlic pills.

Come on Mozzies do your best - I dare ya!!!!! :twisted:

Oh and im taking some Marmite with me :lol:
Does anyone know if they sell jungle formula brand in Goa itself (we're staying in Baga so nr there preferably).
I also want to get a Jungle Formula Plug-In Mosquito Killer, just wondering if anyone knows if i should get it all before i go or is it just as easy to buy it there? I just want to travel with as little as possible really, but also dont want to get there and find that the only products available are cheap and dont work as well :?
A tip for those travelling via Mumbai and changing to an internal flight there.
I always used to get bitten at the airport in Mumbai.
On the outward flight since the ban/restriction on liquids in hand luggage for Indian internal flights you can buy repellent at Heathrow in Duty Free and take it on board for the first flight. At Mumbai after using it you have to put it in checked baggage before security for the internal flight.
The problem for me was on the return flight as liquids are not allowed through security at Dabolim. Previously I have soaked a couple of tissues in repellant to use in Mumbai. But this year I discovered that Boots Duty Free at Heathrow sells repellant wipes which seem to be ok to take in hand luggage both ways.

Geoff
Are insect repellent sticks counted as liquids? I have one that is only 50 g so that would be allowed anyway woudlnt it? isnt it only liquids over 100 g arnt allowed? or are the rules different in Mumbai? really confused, as apart from insect repellent i dont want my other make up etc taken off me at mumbai if none at all are allowed - does anyone know? :?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.