Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi everyone

1st trip November 2000 and like previous posting state after inital shock was well and truely hooked we have been back at least once every year since. I also said the world has so many lovely places/things to see that we shouldnt visit the same place all the time but hey we now have to a more holidays to see these other places as well :D best of both worlds
First time for me was 1999, loved it so much that I went back every year for my 3 weeks hols until 2003 when i started doing the 6 month stints.
Looking forward to returning for another 6 in October this year.

I remember the log cabin (owned by leslie who also owns Mollys) as being the only "Pub" with a decent loo.

I remember when you were able to buy petrol from the pump on calangute High St.

I remember Gris Grevs bar before it was run by Russians.

I remember going to Morjim on the ferry before the bridge was built. (they ran out of money so had a bridge that didn't quite meet in the middle).

I remember sunset nightclub at Baga Creek - a wonderful outdoor place with disco lights suspended in the palm trees.

I remember Palolem - totally unspoilt and hawker free with only 3 co-co hut resorts.

Oh my god things have changed but I still love the place!!

Goldenflipflop xx
I have some photo's of Palolem in 95 I must scan them and post them up sometime.
hubby's first time 1986 then every year til 1997 then again with me and family in jan this year.
My first visit was in November -96. We was met by locals with flowers on a string for a necklace (like Hawaii) when we got off the plane.

We stayed at The Dona Alcina which as I remember it was the only hotel around that area?

Main beach road had only one restaurant "Micos", the left side of the road was empty of buildings. Some salesman had blankets on the ground where they had clothes for sale.

There was hardly any people on the beach, no sunchairs, lots of fishingboats.
And as I remember it was only three shacks in that area, we became regulars at "Big Blue Shack".

It took me 8 years to get back to Goa. If it hadnt been for the sign outside Dona Alcina I would never recogniced where I was.
But I still love it! I have been there 4 times since nov 2004 now and planning 2 more trips this winter.

But I must admit that Im slightly worried how Candolim will look 2015.
our first time was in 2005 and loved it, going to Candolim again December this year.

My first impression was of the people living in makeshift tents at the side of the road.

The buildings that looked black and smoke damaged, but really it was caused by the rain

The adverts for Kingfisher beer on all the buildings

The smell of the fish market as we drove past in the bus

The smiles of the locals who just wanted to be friends
2001, stayed in Candolim at al inclusive resort. Loved it, but went back 2 years later to Baga in a B&B and have been every year since, sometimes twice a year. Not sure when I'll be back though
Our first time in Goa was for the millenium. We stayed all inc at the Heritage Village. We've been back every year since then - sometimes twice a year. Going again in November for a month and can't wait.

Lynn
1999. We have been been back every year since then (this your first time in Goa, I don't think so). Back then there were no mobiles, no russians and the germans have gone.

Going back again this year and can't wait
my first time was for a month during March and April this year.

my second trip was in June for 16 days.

my third trip is as soon as I can

lez :glynis
First time was January 06 but will be back in December. Can't think of anywhere else we want to go to now
:D :D :D
My First time was in March 06..........Why did i leave it so long, never fancied it before, been to quite a few other countries in the world, but NOTHING compares (have i spelt that wrong) my brain has gone blank :? to Goa and i want to go back March 07, well i want to go back now but have to be patient and wait untill March :D
crystal xx
91 or 92, for New Year.

I loved it, girlfriend (now wife) hated every minute.
1984 - January - stayed at the Taj in Sinquerim and when you stood on the actual fort and looked towards Baga all you could see were fishing boats - no shacks or sunbeds to be seen. I can remember going to Brittos when it was one of only a couple shacks on the beach and having crab curry which came as a whole crab in its shell with a sauce poured over the top of it. They gave me a small hammer to crack the shell but I gave up with it and just ate the sauce and rice.
A whole lobster, at the Taj, was 90rps - those were the days.
Saw a woman at Baga get arrested by local police (no tourist police then) for sunbathing topless on the beach. :shock:
One year the police closed all the shacks over Christmas and only let them open on New Years Eve tea time so everyone who came for Christmas didn't have a very good holiday and people were actually sitting on the beach crying - very unhappy time. :cry:
Our son was with us in 84 and came out last year for a couple of weeks and couldn't believe it was the same place. The young waiters, like they do, asked him if he had been to Goa before and when he said yes, before you were born, they stared at him in disbelief and were all asking him what it was like then. He said he wished he had never come back as he wanted to remember it as it was and not as it is now.
I 1st came across Goa by accident around 9 yrs ago but as much as we loved Goa used it as a 2nd holiday if we could afford, it as there is so many other places to see, the 1st time we bought my son who was 15yrs old, he has been back many times since and has noted the changes, he still loves Goa, who are the changes affecting most, the cost of our holiday, or the standard of living the Goan people now have, I am here at the moment, and instead of the shanty type temp accomadation families have survived in for years, I am pleased to see some of them are managing to build permanant homes.
And some trying to repair family heartache that mass tourism has caused.
My first trip was in 1977. Stayed in an Old Portuguese house in Colva, run by a lovely brother and sisiter, Albert and Clementine.

Returned for the first time since 1977 last December and stayed in Colva again. Found the old place where I previuosly stayed and the brother and sisiter still alive. They invited my and and I back for dinner a couple of times.

Then returned again after a few months last March to spend our 25th anniversary in Colva.

Hopefully, all being well, we will return later this year.
Regardless of all the changes I still love Goa, lucky for Goa Narial that you are not one of the tourist causing this mass heartbreak.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.