Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi fadax welcome to HT :wave:

For a relaxing break with sand & snorkeling Sharm will be ideal for you and your parents, don't worry about it being to lively for them there is plenty for everybody and it is not like a club 18-30 style resort, they will be fine.
Choose a nice hotel preferably located in Naama Bay with some nice pools and a Spa, sorted :tup

Cairo and the Pyramids is easily done (best to fly) from Sharm and is a whole day trip, leaving VERY early about 4am and back late about 11pm, take a look HERE for more help and info, make sure you also visit the Cairo Museum when you are there.

Luxor is a different matter, the balloon flights again leave very early morning so you would have to go to Luxor the day before and stay overnight, the earliest direct flight arriving from Sharm doesn't arrive in Luxor until 09:35 which is to late and to be honest one major trip in your week will probably be enough.

Graham
You could try a weeks cruise from Luxor, which will take you to Aswan and back to Luxor. You won't get to see the pyramids but will see lots of other ancient sites and monuments at a more leisurely pace for your parents. They can choose to do as much or little as they wish.

The excursions start early off the ship but you're back on again around lunchtime and sometimes there may be an afternoon visit but they're not obligatory - they can stay onboard if they don't fancy it or find it's too much to do in one day.

You may be able to get a balloon trip organised in time for your return to Luxor.

The alternative is a week in Luxor and take a day flight to Cairo. I priced it up for someone else on here today and the cost was approx 94.50Gbp per person, leaving early morning - arriving Cairo at 9am and landing back in Luxor just before 1am the next morning. A full day but will give you time to do the pyramids and the museum etc.
thanks for the welcome and fast replies!

Kiltman it's good to know that Sharm isn't just a young persons resort, so we will definitely consider finding a hotel there. Flying to Cairo sounds like the best option so it's definitely good for that. Do you know if it's likely to be very crowded around September time? I know my parents are looking for something pretty quiet which is why I was going to consider other places. Do you know anything about Port Ghalib as I have read a bit about it and it seems like it's a very nice and relatively quiet resort but is also great for snorkeling. also I think it's a good price at the moment since it's developing and isn't completely finished yet.

cyprus I think we've decided on staying on the red sea coast somewhere so staying in a city isn't really what we're looking for. But a cruise does sound interesting so we'll keep that option open! maybe a shorter (3-4 day) cruise instead of a full week though. Then we could stay at a red sea resort for a few days following the cruise.

thanks again for the replies :)
Port Ghalib is located close to Marsa Alam on the West Coast of the Red Sea and is set around a marina, the area is still very much being developed, I have never been however we do have several friends that have been and loved it, from what they mentioned it could very well be what you are looking for?

Is there a particular hotel in Port Ghalib you are thinking of?
Oh right OK that's cool, do you know if your friends that went were happy with the food/restaurants there and if they went for all inclusive or a half board package? Well it seems there are only 4 hotels to choose from (so should be a bit easier than choosing from the 200+ in sharm :P). They all look very nice, Intercontinental The Palace seems a bit expensive though so we'd probably go for one of the others - maybe Crowne Plaza Sahara Sands. I've been looking at a few providers and like the sound of longwoodholidays.. their prices are good and they offer several excursions from Port Ghalib/Marsa Alam including a day trip to Cairo (there is a 2-3 hour ride to Hurghada airport involved though so Sharm would be better in this respect! but 2-3 hours isn't so bad I guess).
Hi, Have a look at Makadi bay..If you pop over to the makadi bay forums on tripadvisor you will find loads of info..We are off to Sunrise Royal Makadi in sept.. went to Hurghada last year.
Fadax I am sure they all went AI and I never heard them complain about anything actually, so that must be a good sign :tup
Hi,

I too can recommend the Sunrise Royal Makadi Bay Hotel in Makadi Bay. Been there twice ........ great hotel, food, beach etc and would have no hesitation in returning.

Pat
i would reccomend the three corners rhianna in el gounna. this hotel is only a short walk to the town and there is no hassle there. we have just returned from hurghadda and would much prefer el gounna.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.