Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
I think Puerto Mogan is the prettiest resort, lovely harbour area with lots of nice restaurants.

Playa Taurito is also a nice small resort, I'm not sure if there are many restaurants though there are some lovely hotels.

A relative goes to Amadores pretty regularly and tells me there are some very good restaurants there, the one time I passed through the resort I thought the beach looked as though it would be good for children.
Hi Judith

Thanks for your response, I have been looking at Villas in Mogan so that is good to know. We are looking for villas, I have to say I am struggling slightly with the price of them though, the majority that I like are in the region of £1300 - £1600 per week. I could get an 8 bedroom mansion in the states for that, admittedly the flights would cost an arm and a leg.

I do wonder how they justify the price of some of these villas, it used to be that DIY was a cheaper option but with these prices I am not so sure. By the time you have priced in flights, car hire and food you are looking at a similar cost to all inclusive.

Ok rant over!
Does sound a lot. It's five years since I was in GC so I really can't remember what prices were like. Hope you find what you want. It's an interesting island with some awesome scenery especially in the north.
I’d say the two resorts that would suit you are Puerto Mogan and Maspalomas.

Mogan has a lot of charm (for the Canaries) and has a nice town beach, harbour and market. It has a good selection of bars and restaurants and the Cordial Mogan Playa hotel always scores well and looked good when we had a nose round last year. Nice boat trip from the harbour round to Puerto Rico if you want a livelier resort to visit.

Maspalomas has a large selection of 4 and 5 star hotels and villas though the villas are generally set quite far back near the golf course I think, which is a fair walk to the front.
Has a very upmarket feel with smart shops and many restaurants along the prom. Lighthouse is a nice feature and the dunes are right there with their nice sandy beaches. The much brasher Playa del Ingles is a short taxi ride away if you want a livelier resort to visit.

Villa wise I’ve always thought Lanzarote has the best selection with loads to choose from in Costa Teguise, Playa Blanca and probably Carmen, though I’ve not been there.
We did a villa in Teguise at Easter and it was very reasonable and walking distance to the beach, restaurants and shops so no need for a car.
Blanca is the nicer resort but the villas always seem quite set back from the beach/prom and a fair walk or a taxi.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.