Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
Hi ,Having been to most of the resorts in Ibiza over the past twenty years nearly all of the resorts are family orientated(with the exeption of San Antonio town)but my preference would be Es Cana or portinax
Hi,

We are a family of 4 our girls are 10 and 4.
I would recommend Santa Eulalia in Aparthotel Orquidea. It is on the beach and great for kids. We booked with Portland direct and went half board. Been to Ibiza loads and been to Santa Eulalia for the past two yrs and love it. Many of our friends have been and they love it to. Only place not to go is San Antoi anywhere else brill!
Hope you get a great holiday booked.
Have to agree with alysteve - It would have to be Es Cana for me every time :glynis
I'm in agreement,i love ES CANA,we have been twice with are 3 yr old and have enjoyed it both times,its a nice family resort.I stayed in PDB last year and although it was a good holiday the resort is not a patch on ES CANA. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hi ,Having been to most of the resorts in Ibiza over the past twenty years nearly all of the resorts are family orientated(with the exeption of San Antonio town)but my preference would be Es Cana or portinax

I agree that Portinax is really nice, however it has always come across as a bit small for me, so I would imagine kids would find it quite boring. I agree with everybody else though Es Cana is the place of young families, it doesn't have much in the way of Spanish inspired culture, its mainly chicken nuggets and chips with British entertainment which is probably exactly what you are looking for! It also has a large and very clean beach which is just across the road from the main strip and also has an abundance of water sports and sun beds.
Es Cana is good as it has kids funfair type of things but is an absolute pain in the neck for having a nice stroll as there is no prom as such and the village is made up of narrow streets with high pavements,not ideal for prams.I would go to Santa Eulalia myself - having just read your post again I think Es Cana is the best option for teenagers as there is more geared to them than in Santa E or maybe Playa Den Bossa,if you liked Alcudia Iam sure you will like PDB
How far is es cana from San antonio?
Not Sure of the distance, but it is probably about a 30 - 40 minute car ride.
More on the Bus, as I think you still have to go into Ibiza Town and change.

They are on opposite sides of the Island (San An on the West & Es Cana on the East) with Ibiza Town Roughly half way between, but on the southern side.

(hope all that makes sense :? )
It will take you quite a while to get there, I wouldn't suggest a taxi unless you are feeling rich.

In summer (between 01/05/ and 31/10)there is a bus from Santa Eulalia to San Antino directly so you don't have to go through Ibiza town. It runs at these times

Santa Eu to San An - Route 19
09:30
11:00
15:30
18:00

San An to Santa Eu
10:15
11:45
16:15
18:45

You would need to get the bus from Es Cana to Santa Eulalia as well (the drop off in Santa Eulalia is the same as the place they pick up for San An) - that is route 18 and are fairly frequent, about every half hour in Summer. Buses are clean and inexpensive (about 1 Eur a trip for short journeys and 1.50 for longer journeys) Have a look at http://www.ibizabus.com

It would take you at least an hour each way on the bus I think. If you have a hire car then about 30 minutes.
Hiya,

Would have to say the best family resorts in Ibiza are either Portinax, Es Cana or Santa Euilalia. Portinax has fab beaches (best on the island!). Es Cana has a great hippy market and is very laid-back. Playa d'en Bossa is directly on the flight path so will experience some aircraft noise and is home to some of the clubs so I would avoid. Ibiza is very family-friendly despite it's image as a clubbers paradise. Have fun choosing! :D
Wherever we have chosen on our vacation we pick the most popular resort: Zante (laganas) Mallorca (Alcudia) Costa Dorada (salou) Costa Blanca (Benidorm) Turkey (Marmaris) Tenerife (Playa De Las Americas) & Cyprus ( Ayia Napa) but this one looks like a close call. I will wo more research!

Lloyd
I have stayed in Santa Eulalia and visited es cana, there is no comparison, santa euliala beats es cana hands down if you are going with small children, older kids, I would say es cana easily wins.

Santa Eulalia= no roads on the front, nice sandy beaches, no touts, nice marina.

Es cana = close to the hippy market, british food everywhere, it's like being in the uk with an added bonus, the SUN.

The ages of your kids sounds like es cana. Both resorts nice though.
Cala Llonga will knock spots off Es Cana.

No through traffic.

Fun fair.

Terrific beach.

Various types of accommodation.

Difficult for the kids to get lost.

Good transport connections.

What more do you want.
I've been going to Cala LLonga every year for the last twenty years as I have a timeshare there. Everything brianeric says about it is accurate. However, I would say deciding on Cala Longa would depend on what you want for your kids.

The teenage girls might find it a little too quiet for their liking. On the other hand, from a parent's pesrpective, you might be swayed by the fact that you will never take them to a safer resort. As brianeric rightly says, there is no through road, as the main road into town is teed off of the back road from Santa Eulalia to Ibiza Town.

Feel free to send a personal message if you have any specific questions about the resort or the island in general.
A lot depends on the accomodation you are staying at, as the amount of entertainment/events provided can make or break a holiday, no matter what resort you visit.

We have 2 boys, 12 & 13, and have been to Ibiza 3 times in 3 years, to Playa Den Bossa, Calla Llonga and San Miguel.

PDB is quite lively, and you have the water park there, and also a kids activity park, with games, trampolines, bouncy castle etc.
you are also pretty close to the airport (fast transfers), and Ibiza town.
We went early May, so it was quieter, so not sure what it's like in the club season.

Calla Llonga is a very nice resort. The beach has to be the best I have ever been to, with crystal clear water that is very shallow for a long way out. You can hire pedallo's on the beach, and they have slides on them which the kids will love.
There's also a water taxi available to several other resorts.

We stayed in San Miguel this year, and the appartment complex was by far the best we have ever been to, with sporting activities all day, and entertainment every night.
It's a small resort with a coarse sand beach, which might not suit everyone, but our kids prefer the swimming pool to the sea anyway.

Each resort, our kids were happy & had fun, thanks to the included activities & entertainment.
If your kids love to spend a lot of time in the pool, most resorts will be fine, and the island is small enough that you can travel to the various if you want - even by bus, you are unlikely to face more than 45-60mins travel.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.