Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Jay

I know Kuoni, Hayes and Jarvis, Virgin Holidays, Premier Holidays do packages to Bali. British Airways Holidays probably do too. I'm sure there are lots more, possiblyTravelsphere. I've no idea about the prices though.

Judith
Thanks Judith,I will let her know but since the recent bombing in Jakarta I think she is more nervous than ever.
Hi MurcuryDirect do packages to Bali the prices look very good,usually ads in newspapers,just bought rough guide for bali and they have an ad in there,they have got a website,hope this is of some help,we go in september and i've been intouch with the travelagent to see if they have any advice with regards to the recent events and they more or less said it,s just the state of the world!We,re still looking forward to it(if you worried about everything you,d never go anywhere) :cheers Manxcat
Jay,

There are only very good airlines flying to Bali from the UK (i.e. Singapore Airlines, Malaysian, Cathay Pacific, Qatar Airways) all of whom are excellent and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending any of them.

However, remember it's a very long way. From Bali you're 2 hours from Australia, so flights are long and expensive, typically more so than Thailand.

Unfortunately there are no real sales on at the moment, so you'll easily find yourself paying over £600 for adults. And it's unlikely to see the amazing prices of a recent Singapore Airlines sale (£350 inc tax) repeated, namely as they seem to be struggling for availability.

I'd say look at the accommodation style or type they want and work backwards, comparing packages with DIY and see how it works out. Don't just plump for a package as it seems simple. Choose a hotel or apartment and see how much it costs if you DIY, then find a Tour Op that sells it and compare prices.

Happy to try and make recommendations of accomodation, as i'm sure many people here would be. Did they have a budget in mind?
Hi Jay

Maybe if she is really worried they could switch the wedding to Thailand. Posters stating 'if you worried about everything you would never go anywhere' isn't any help. If she is worried then she isn't going to enjoy her wedding. Security seems to be somewhat lax in Indonesia, hence the same hotel being bombed twice though of course it could happen in other places.
I think travelling Sam's advice is useful, though I know you are an experienced traveller so have probably already given advice about looking for flights and hotels etc.
Hope she gets something sorted so that she can look forward to her wedding with confidence.

Judith
Thomson Worldwide cover there too, but seem to be identical in price and offerings as Hayes and Jarvis (both Tui).
try travelbag. The last time we went, I looked at packages but could not get hotels I wanted. Although Travelbag had recommended hotels they were happy to get prices from the ones I wanted.
Likewise Fiona- exactly what we did for Bali
My daughter got a quote from Singapore airlines but the taxes for 5 of them were over £1,000!
The couple getting married live in Perth and she is considering trying to get a flight there with a stopover in Bali,for the wedding.
She travelled to Chile 3 years ago when the children were younger,but my daughter and her oldest girl have developed a phobia of flying :yikes A flight to Jersey last summer was an ordeal for them. :rofl
Jay Trip

Fear of flying is awful... I know I've had it all my life. My first flight was a nightmare and took 37 1/2 hours from Heathrow to Melbourne Australia via the US in a BOAC VC10. My fear was so bad I never went home for 20 years.

However, my need to return to the UK was greater than my fear of flying. I went to my GP who gave me a script for SEREPAX (oxazepam) now I really fly :rofl I started off very carefully with half a 15mg which didn't touch the sides. I increased it slowly each trip and now take 30mg every 5 hours... this keeps me at a level where I'm not anxious. I take my first pill 3 hours before a flight. 30mg is a high dose and used for extreme anxiety.

Dr's generally don't like to prescribe Serepax as it is addictive... however, as I only use it for flying my GP is happy to let me take it.

The only thing is that Oxazepam on the banned list in certain Arab countries, so some airlines are off our list.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Stopovers-Dubai-Uae-Medicatio-t170435.html

Cheers Geri
Hi Jay

I just re read your post properly and realise your gran-daughter is a nervous flyer too. I certainly wouldn't have suggested that kind of medication for a child.

Cheers Geri
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.