Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
It is the responsibility of the individual traveller to ensure that they have the correct documents required for travel, including passports and visas. Most reputable travel agents will advise travellers on this, but they are not responsible for it.

luci :wave
I think it is the travel agents job to advise as it says so in the abta code of conduct.

Rule 1.6 (ii) requires that before a contract is made the travel agent or tour operator shall advise on passport and visa requirements where it is reasonably practicable for them to do so. In other cases they will provide reasonable assistance in obtaining such information.
I agree that it may be the TA's job to advise, but I don't think it is their responsibility. It also states "where it is reasonably practicable for them to do so" rather than they must ensure this is done.

luci :wave
I know at our local Thos Cook they produce a Health & Visa Requirement Advice sheet which is produced with your booking form.

As has been mentioned the travel agent wherever possible should advise but its the customers responsibility to ensure that they have one.

Kath HT Admin
It's your responsibility 100%.

Many brochures have small print reminding you to find out about visa regulations for the country (countries) you intend to visit, and that it is not their responsibility if you are refused entry on arrival because you do not have the correct documentation.

They can also charge you for flying you home again immediately - and it won't be the cheapest fare available either ... I believe they are fined about £2000 in these situations per passenger, and reserve the right to reclaim it from the passengers who were refused entry.
I among others keep saying this. READ THE SMALL PRINT - often called the T&Cs - There have been many complaints here on HT that boiled down to someone assuming.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your passport will not expire two days before you go on holiday. That YOU check the documentation. No good complaining here or anywhere else if you don't.

The good thing is if you are not sure about something then you can ask on HT and only in rare cases will you not get an answer.

There is a saying that God helps those who help themselves. And it is true.

fwh
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.