Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
This is a good reason for going.
That`s one good reason Ray :wink: More a spiritual place for me, I spent around 5 Months in total in Goa since 1999, had a few problems back then and went to chill out and relax and it worked a treat. There is something there that draws me back time after time, I feel at home in Goa as though I belong there, dunno why but that`s the magic of Goa :love2 Must be the same for most of the people on here 8)
For my husband and I it is because the people are so lovely, the place is so relaxing and trouble free and the weather is guaranteed to be hot (and mostly sunny). You can recharge your batteries without breaking the bank.

Candybabe

[/code]
My husband and I are beginning to think we have got somekind of obsession with Goa!

We left on the last charter flight in April 2005 and went back on the first one in October. We went again in Nov/Dec 2005 and again in February and April 2006. We were going to wait until January until we went again but gave in (yet again) and did our first monsoon trip in September.

We said that this would DEFINATELY be our last visit until January next.
However, I am now looking everyday at flights and feel so homesick when I read all the posts on here!

We can't say why we love it so much, it is more of a feeling of being where you belong.
As soon as we get off the plane, we feel so different.

We once heard Goa described as 'Paradise in a ****hole'. I wonder what other regulars think of this comment?

regards
Michelle
It seems there is something intangible that makes everyone drawn to goa :D

Apart from the tropical climate, low cost of living, I get the impression tht there is something else there that magically attracts holidaymakers. Compared to other long-haul destinations, there is a lot more discussion about this resort. I guess I may just have to go and find out?..
I certainly also feel it is where I belong. We went for the first time in December 2002. My husband's initial reaction was "Where the hell have you brought me to". Within a few hours he was asking "When are we coming back". So we did the following April and have been going back ever since for Christmas and New Year. We plan to go long-term from 2009 staying for up to 6 months. Hardly a day goes by without thinking about Goa (do I need some sort of treatment?) and I certainly visit the forum daily.

Several friends have asked what it is about the place but it is hard to put into words - you just have to go and find out for yourself.

Candybabe
What is the first letter of the ****, Michelle?!
I'd imagine you'd find a lot of it at Coco Beach!

:yikes
  • Edited by GeeDubya 2006-10-31 12:53:46
First letter is an S not an A :D

Michelle
Goa you will enjoy the most is its people, food and music. No place on earth can truly duplicate the experience of Goa. Not now. Not ever.

lez
We went for the first time in Nov 2000 and thought the same "where the hell are we" it took us approx 3 hours to get accustomed to the place and within 24 hours we were totally hooked. Now every time we go back the first thing we say when we get off the plane is we're home. Goa is like an itch you've just got to keep scratching.

DebnPete
Thanks for the input folks. Wow, it seems that Goa has a hypnotic attaction to most people who visit! I think I will have to go, there are a few cheap package holidays going there at the moment.

Peace.. :)
We too went for the first time in November, 2000. Although we'd travelled in Malaysia, Indonesia and North Africa I felt like I'd finally come home.

I love the fact that even after 6 years you'll still see something that surprises you; that nothing's regimented or predictable; that wherever you look there's colour and beauty and that complete strangers will talk to you and welcome you into their home and don't have an ulterior motive for doing so.

Goa casts a spell over me, as soon as I get in the airport taxi, smell the woodsmoke from the roadside, see the swaying palms and hear the Bollywood music crackling away on the radio my heart starts pounding and i just wanna cry with happiness.

Many places in the world are loosing their cultural identity and although there are significant changes from when I first came in 2000 there still isn't a MacDonalds.
10th year coming up for us, and I'm not afraid to tell people it isn't the cleanest place around - love the place,love the people, love the food - never been anywhere that makes me ''feel at home'' like Goa does.
Been coming to Goa since 98/99?? then for the past 4 years have spent the whole of the British Winter here.....just has something magical about the place. When friends and family come over to visit me I always warn them to not expect a top notch resort. Yes it is a S*** Hole but it's MY S***hole and I love it!!!

GFF xxx
Goa
:) I've been going for years and over the past couple - lots of times - March, Dec 05, March, April, Oct, Dec 06, March, prob April 07. Stay in Candolim mostly now, go on my own usually - love the heat, prices, people - everything. I feel more at home there than here, waiting for my lottery to come up!! Unfortunately starting to change, hope it will take a while. I've travelled all over including Europe and Thailand but my fave places are Turkey summer and Goa winter - keep pulling me back! 32 sleeps not that I'm counting!
Having travelled round the world quite a bit I always said to myself I'd never visit the same place twice. All that changed in 2000 when I came to Goa. Cant quite put my finger on why she keeps drawing me back, no one particular thing.
Is it that when you return to a beach shack the following year the lads instantly recognise you and remember your name and what you drink?
Is it the amazing variety of people you meet (Goans and Tourists)?
Is it the fact that if you want to be in a busy area you can be but if you want solitude, 400 mtrs away from the coastal belt you can find it.
It isnt the cr*p airport or the dodgy sea or the long cramped charter flights that drags me back each year is it?
What makes me get straight on the internet the day I get back looking for deals for the next year.
If I knew what it was I'd bottle it and sell it, I'd make a fortune..
I'm under her spell and I love it!!!!!!!
Alan,
We both know it is the Honey Bee, off next tuesday.
Steve
Paradise in a ****hole is the absolute perfect description of Goa.
My friend is going for the first time next year and all I keep saying to her is .....it's quite scruffy you know, you don't get deluxe hotels in north Goa they are very basic, etc..etc.. I'm sure she wonders why I love it and why I recommended it to her , but everybody is right , there is just something about Goa which is magical , cannot wait to go back.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.