Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Dolphins can be seen most mornings (early) off anjuna. Many boats from Baga, Calangute take tourists out also, some promising no dolphins no charge. To see turtles is almost impossible, they hatch on a certain part of morjim beach at a particular time of year, you have to be really lucky. Up on the hill between Anjuna and Baga you will find peacocks and langurs (very large monkeys), early morning is always best. Ask at Curlies (south end of beach) about boat rides.
Baga hill is a great place to see birds early in the morning as the sun comes up - I've seen hornbills up there. :lol:

When walking in the scrub behind the sand dunes you might come across a mongoose. Bear in mind the favourite food of the mongoose is snakes. :shock:
If you take one of the river trips you'll see ospreys, kingfishers, ibis, wooly neck storks, brahminy kites and if you're lucky a salt water crocodile. :lol:
A trip to Carambolim Lake in the early morning is great for bird watching and you can see colourful Kingfishers, different species of Stork and many many other species of bird. It is only about 45 minutes away from Baga and all the taxi drivers know it, some of them can even name all the different species of bird. The best taxi drivers with birding knowledge can be found outside the Biera Mar Hotel in Baga. This hotel also has a swimming pool which overlooks the paddy fields and many birdwatchers congregate there at the end of the day to see some of the special birds of the area such as Bee-eaters and Painted Snipe.

Have a great time
Tweetie
The fields at the back of Anjuna are full of snakes and they come out at night to lay on the warm tarmac on the roads, if you are driving through at night you might just catch a glimpse of a Cobra or 2 :wink:
Oh my goodness snakes!! :omg I didn't see any while I was there!! Plenty of Lizards though, which I don't mind.

In march, I was walking onto the beach from our hotel (Silver Sands, Candolim) and I heard screeching from the bushes.... then a mongoose ran across right infront of me! I thought i was going to have a heart attack, I thought it was giant RAT!!!!
If you want to take any trips to see birds and other wildlife, I can recommend a taxt driver who knows all of the sites. The crocodile trip is excellent for birds and you may even see one or two of the mugger crocodiles which are around. Dolphins are common and trips to see them are plentiful, but try to ensure that the boat does not harass them.
I saw dolphins when I was away :D
Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful, I am really excited about the dolphins and anything else would be a bonus.

Cheers
Lorna
Next visit I really fancy having more time away from the beaches and getting off the beaten track to explore the natural wildlife to be found there.

Baga hill is a great place to see birds early in the morning as the sun comes up - I've seen hornbills up there.

Max, where is Baga hill please? Is it the large area opposite the Marina Dourada towards Anjuna? Is it easily accessible on foot? And how early is early morning for best bird spotting?

We did a boat trip at a fraction of the reps price by negotiating with a taxi driver. It was one of my favourite days there. We saw every one of the species of kingfisher indigenous to Goa, just stunning! white egrets, kites, eagles,spoonbills and various smaller birds, names i cannot remember.
Also saw 2 massive saltwater crocodiles close up.
I havent seen a dolphin yet but hope to next time.

I saw the biggest bee ever on a flower, it was huge! And i saw close up a tiny hummingbird feeding from a climbing flower growing up outside my hotel room. Amazing, made my day to see that. :D
Max, where is Baga hill please? Is it the large area opposite the Marina Dourada towards Anjuna? Is it easily accessible on foot? And how early is early morning for best bird spotting?

Yes Baga hill is opposite MD.
Early morning means as the sun comes up - 6.30 - 7.30am.
The birds gather in the tree tops to warm up after a cold night roosting.

Another good spot is Fort Aguada at sunset - you can stand there and watch the birds as they come in to roost in the trees on the slopes below .:wink:
Humming birds are only found in the Americas. You probably saw one of the sunbirds which are common in Goa. They are almost as bright as hummingbirds but do not have the same ultra fast wing beat. If you see them through binoculars in good light they are magnificent.
Thanks Max :D

sandyboy thankyou. Never heard of sunbirds, you learn something every day dont you?
No problem, they are easily confused. Great photo Max!
Thats the one i saw! :lol: :wink:

Lovely photo too. Thankyou.
brilliant photo thanks I thought they were humming birds as well
learn something new every day
Pat :glynis
They look the same dont they Pat? :lol: So many beautiful birds and butterflies in Goa. Going to take my binoculars and camera next time and see if i can capture some as good as that. Any more wildlife photos from anyone? I am really interested in finding out more about what there is to be seen and where. Thanks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.