Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
wine boxes
84 Posts
We bought ours at the airport so obviously it was in our hand luggage. It depends how much clothes you are taking in your case and whether they will fit. They are heav to carry so I would put them in the case and then weigh the case to ensure you do not have excess baggage. Allowance is -ususlly 20 kgs, but it will be stated on your ticket.

Some people may think, "what a performance", but to purchase a bottle of
imported wine would cost £40 - English ! Even though we all like to drink the local brew !

Have a great holiday 8)

Regards
If you get them on the outward flight, you'd have to carry them as hand luggage as your cases have already gone at check-in.
Bringing them back? Up to you, depends how much hand luggage you've got already.
:rofl dont worry Everest, I can safely say there definatley wont be any left to carry back! :D have decided to just pack them in the case and hope they dont burst or leak all over everything else.
Roll them in your towels and then put them in the middle of your case.

Man I'm learning stuff from the missus :bow
Are you kidding?
£40 for a bottle of wine??
Is there no cheaper stuff? This would seriously affect any future decisions to holiday in Eqypt! And I'm not joking...
:wink:
unfortunatley its true, and seeing as most people cant really afford to spend £80 a night on a couple of bottles of vino, a genious on this site[cant remember who but thank you :D ] suggested taking a couple of boxes of wine when you go, and if you remember to take a couple of tubes of pringles aswell you can look forward to happy nights sitting on your balcony having a giggle without breaking the bank :yipee
:shock: Flippin Eck! :shock:

£40? :shock:

This will not be music to my Mum's ears, she enjoys a glass of wine in the evenings and is coming to Sharm with us..................boxes it is then!
Toastedmallow

At the Hyatt the local wine cost about £13 (English) a bottle which was drinkable. We drank that when the box ran out !

Fabulous hotel, but if you are there in the heat of summer you would probably spend £10 (English) during the day on water alone. That does not include meal times or water for use in the bathroom !

Thats the advantage of a good quality AL Hotel. We have been to Egypt 4 times now over the past 16 months Hyatt & Radisson Taba, Coral Hilton Nuweiba twice and can't wait for our next visit.

Regards
pippy, my parents are coming with us too so I have phoned mum today and told her to get her backside down to sainsburys sharpish and put a couple of boxes of wine in thier cases aswell. she doesnt drink much but it will be nice to have them there at night if we fancy a glass on the balcony when the kids are in bed :wink:
:shock: I had read somewhere about the imported wine being expensive, but to be honest, I still baulk at the idea of paying £14 for a bottle of local wine, especially when its only 'drinkable'! I also read that the other two hotels have a happy hour, one is from 5 to 7 and the other later (sorry cant remember) mightve been 7-9 which would be excellent, cos we'd be well on our way by then!

Me, I'm wrapping the boxes in towels in the case and soooooo looking forward to going to the Hyatt at the end of June. Anyone else going at that time??

love to hear from you if you are

Jilly :D
:shock: have i missed something about wine, are you saying that wine in sharm is very expensive, my husband is a red wine drinker, but not at that price, he will have to settle for beer, i wont have enough room in my suitcase for wine, might take a bottle of spirits from the airport, that is if its allowed, went to spain at christmas and we wern't allowed to take spirits in from manchester,
Doddy

My comments regarding the cost of wine in the hotel is specifically for the Hyatt Regency in Taba, I have not been to Sharm so cannot comment.

Regards
from the info i have gained from this forum in particular and various others i think its safe to say that any imported alchohol is going to be expensive, and if your on a budget then its may be worth while taking your favourite tipple with you. as for wine in particular i would also baulk at paying £14 for a bottle of 'drinkable' grog, for that price i would want a bottle of faustino rioja! so I personally have decided to go with a forum members excellent suggestion of taking a couple of boxes with me and also stocking up on spirits at the duty free. when I get back in 2 weeks i will let you all know how much the local grog is and how much a bottle of imported stuff is at the various hotels in taba :D
We stayed at the Hilton Sharks Bay on an all inclusive basis and the white red and rose were all very palatable and free. The local wine is called Obelisk if I remember correctly and can be bought in hotels
You are right Andrea but the trouble is the cost, if you are not all-inclusive. Can be anything from £10 to £15 per bottle for Obelisk Egyptian wine or similar.
Carrot, is that the price in the Hotels / the restaurants or both. Gosh it is a bit steep and I do like a glass or two. Thanks
Certainly thats hotel prices. Having been all-inclusive for the last few visits i'm not au fait with what restaurants are charging these days. Much the same if not more I suspect but at least you should be able to buy a glass or two instead of a bottle.

I have to say, Katies Mum, you have enquired about so many different things regarding your forthcoming holiday to Egypt that I will be surprised if you get time to stop for a drink! Seriously, I hope you have a super time and I bet there will be a box of wine from duty-free in your hand luggage! :gluck
Carrot. the more I know the better time we will have. Unfortunately only going for 7 days, so don`t want to waste any time finding out basics when I get there. Wine is a very important part of the holiday, I`m just having a large glass now!! whilst I learn more about Sharm!! Joking apart, Holiday Truths helped me last year when I went to Turkey and I found some brilliant forums when we went to Florida, you can learn so much before you go which has got to be a godsend. So all I can say is a big thankyou to you all, and please let me carry on asking away. The good news is this time in 5 weeks we will actually be on the plane, wine and all.
I would say that local wine in hotels and restaurants will cost between LE 85 - LE 150. Imported wine is much more expensive and hence not worth the price. However, you can bring in three bottles of wine or spirits per adult when you arrive, ( often more as the customs are not that interested in catching someone with an extra bottle ). Then, within the first 24 hours of your arrival ( actually within the day after you entered according to the date stamp in your passport ) you may go to the duty free shop in Naama Bay and get another 3 bottles of wine or spirits per adult ( but you must take your passports with you ). The duty free price for plonk is also pretty steep - basically same as the spirits.

Now, if that is not enough then you can buy from certain shops in Naama and Maya Bays local wine at around LE 50 per bottle. One of those shops is the duty free shop itself. You can buy local products anyday of your stay.

There is also a duty free shop at Nuweiba Port but the selection is not very good.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.