General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
XMAS MARKETS
21 Posts
have you tried Birmingham??? (Don't laugh, the market is really quite good...)

for the more conventional destinations we'd need to know where you'd be starting from to work out what's possible.
Thanks steve, Birmingham!!! not to far to travel :think we shall be travelling from South Wales
don;t mind involving a flight from Cardiff /Bristol /.Birmingham or Heathrow
would consider some where in the UK if the market had a good Xmas theme.
thanks annx
Prague has a lovely Christmas market with lots going on in the city. :cheers
Look at Prague experience for ideas and accommodation/sightseeing packages. Easy Jet and BA have flights from several UK airports at reasonable prices
Brugges, Lille and Ghent are also good and reachable by air or Eurostar via Brussells.

In the UK, Winchester and York.
I second Prague :tup

Also, Manchester isn't too bad, but may be a bit local for you!
Thanks both, we have been to Prague [not at xmas] and loved it so it could be
back to Prague :) still looking at other places,has any one been to Bath xmas
market?
Manchester is 230 miles away so not to local :think
thanks
annx
Take a look at THIS for a good selection and information on Christmas Markets worldwide :tup
Hi,
We went to Bath Christmas Market last year - it was a bit too crowded to enjoy the stalls - you just had to keep shuffling round with the crowd - admittedly this was on a Saturday though so could be a lot better in the week!! We also went to a christmas market just by the London Eye. This was a better size for the crowds - had some very nice German beer and a hot potato dish with onions and spices. (cant remember what it was called but it tasted great).

Tabby.
Within the UK I can highly recommend the one in Edinburgh - brilliant German Christmas market along Princes Street and around the Royal Academy, an ice rink and funfair in Princes Gardens plus usually a giant ferris wheel alongside the Scott monument.

SM
SMa, that sounds lovely, I think we might end up going there :)
I will have to do a google search to find when it's open :tup
EDIT: It is open from 25th November, but I cannot find out the closing date, will it be on until the week of christmas?

Here is the link if anyone wants to take a look

http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/festivals.html
The Edinburgh German Christmas Market is open right up until Christmas Eve but other parts of the Christmas Market stay open until after New Year. You'll find more info here about events in Edinburgh during December:

http://www.edinburgh-360.co.uk/whats-on/edinburgh-christmas-markets

SM
Thankyou, I am looking forward to visiting sometime in December :)
aarond wrote:
Thanks steve, Birmingham!!! not to far to travel :think we shall be travelling from South Wales
don;t mind involving a flight from Cardiff /Bristol /.Birmingham or Heathrow
would consider some where in the UK if the market had a good Xmas theme.
thanks annx

The Birmingham market will take all of an hour for you to see it all and then only if you visit every stall. There are some Germans there but as I have said before many stall holders would be more Bombay than Berlin! The stuff they sell is very expensive and whilst I'm sure some of it originated in Germany I think a lot comes from China.

I understand that the Market In Colmar, France/German border is excellent.
Very interested in this topic - hubby and I are trying to sort something out - I was looking at Estonia but after reading about Prague and Edinburgh going to do some research on them - Thanks
Thank you all for the help and suggestions still trying to
decide,have ruled out Birmingham and Bath as they seem to be
on a smaller scale,looking at flights to Edinburgh and Prague tonight,
annx
Krakow is lovely at Christmas time!
Been to Krakow went there from Warsaw nice place.
of to Tenerife in the morning so shall start looking again
on our return
annx
Been to Bruges Christmas market and that was lovely :) Would definetely recommend it xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.