Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
The Markets in Benidorm are held twice weekly on Wednesday's and Sunday's, even if those days fall on Christmas Day!

The market stall holders tend to set up very early, and although I'm not sure of exact opening times, I think you can safely assume they will be open from around 8am, if not earlier. They don't tend to close until around 2pm, sometimes 3pm. Again I'm not 100% positive about that, perhaps others can be a little more specific.

Some advise I can pass onto you is, only take out as much money as you feel you might spend. Do NOT take your Passports or any other valubles with you. Leave them safely stored in your Safety deposit Box. If you are a female make sure your handbag is held in front of you with the strap across your neck and keep a hold on the fastening, across your chest in front of you. Do NOT carry a backpack on your back. Gentlemen should not carry walllets in their back pockets.

The markets are always VERY busy and you will find its very dense with Holiday Makers and Locals. You may find yourself in a huge crowd and this can be a little disconcerting, so if you have little ones you do need to exercise caution.

Do not be tempted to buy things from the Stall Holders shouting "Lookie Lookie".....they tend to sell cheap electrical junk at inflated prices, such as radios, watches etc. if you do buy something off of one of these and you get it back to your accomodation and find it does not work, you will NOT get your money back. The same goes for the people who try to seel you things from the floor on the streets leading up to the market itself. These tend to be Gypsies and you may find that all they want is what is in your pockets and handbags.

Also when looking at items, be aware that you can often find the same item at a cheaper price in one of the many local Souvenir Shops. But having said that you can 'barter' with the Stall Holders. If they want your custom they will often give in with a bit of gentle persuasion. And its good fun!

There is a large Police presence on Market days but sadly crime does take place. You have to be cautious and sensible and only take as much money with you as you feel you may need. My advise would be to go on the Sunday and have a look around without taking any cash with you. Then if you see things you want you can always go back again on the Wednesday with only the money for those items, assuming your travel plans allow you do to that.

And PLEASE, whatever you do, IGNORE the 'Pea-Men'. They are just proffesional Pick Pockets, and you will NOT win anything.

I hope this post has not put you off, that was not my intention, but I just wanted to pass on some advise that I hope you will find useful and make your trip to the market a more enjoyable one.
A very good post :tup
Well said :D

besos xxx
SanJi
Hi

I have been to the benidorm market the sunday and wednesday one. But last summer i went to a different market in benidorm sure this was on a wednesday but i may be wrong sorry i cant tell you the name of the market but i cant remeber it was a super market anyway not half as busy as the other benidorm market and seemed to have better stuff the hotel staff told me about this market i got a taxi there took about 5 - 10 minutes anyway some one else may no what im talking about and be able to give certain day and location for this
Been to benidorm a few times and have learned best for me is to wear a denim skirt/trousers which have loads of pockets and i split my money up at least 4 ways maybe more carrying only 40 ish euros in my bag which i do hold onto at all times, which does also help when barganing i pull out whats in that pocket/purse saying thats all i have :wink:
best for me is to wear a denim skirt/trousers which have loads of pockets and i split my money up at least 4 ways

On the surface, that would appear to be good advise, but if you are carrying money around with you in these numerous pockets, then you are still at risk of loosing it to the pick-pockets that do sadly operate en mass on Market Days. Do your pockets have zippers on them? If not then in my humble opinion merely spreading your hard earnt money around several different locations upon your body may not prevent you from becoming a prime target for the Pick Pockets.

Best advise is still only to take out as much money with you as you think you will want to spend. Sorry, I'm not trying to teach you how to suck eggs, but I have known of fellow guests in my Hotel, who have had their money stolen at the Market by the pickpockets and I've observed the distress this has caused them.

I've also observed people walking down the packed aisles with bagpacks on their backs and these people are just inviting trouble. There is no way they would know that someone was helping themselves to the contents of their bags carried on their backs.

The twice weekly Benidorm market can be a great day out, and you may pick up a few bargains along the way, but I cannot emphasize enough the importance of excersing common sense and being on your guard at all times. This advise does not only apply to the Benidorm markets, but anywhere where there are large crowds.
I totally agree common sense is a must, i remember seeing a programe about benidorm market and the woman with a shoulder bag with no fastening and wondered why they dipped her bag but you could see from the cameras what was in her bag, i take a small over body bag which sits infrount of me again this bag was a few zips/sections but that is clutched in my hands and no one can get it, even if the bag stap is cut it is still in my hand, the denim skirt, i have problems getting my hands into so if anyone tried i would definatley be aware, its a nice snug fit and the denim is thick enough not to show the notes in my pocket anyway :wink: but it is no differant to going to the glasgow barras or similar place, just dont flaunt your purse, keep it safe and to hand and you should be fine and dont stop for the lookie lookie men or even dont stop if there is a commotion or fight as this could be staged to attract the crowd and pickpockets too.
dont stop for the lookie lookie men or even dont stop if there is a commotion or fight as this could be staged to attract the crowd and pickpockets too.

Yes, I agree. The 'Lookie Lookie' men/women should be avoided and ignored. Not only do they tend to sell cheap rubbish that does not work, such as watches, radios, cameras, etc etc, they may also be pick-pockets.
My advise would be to don't even think to stop and 'look' at their stalls.

Readers should not be put off travelling to Benidorm or taking a visit to the twice weekly market, from what you have been reading, as it can be a great day out and if you are into bartering then you will probably pick up a few bargains. Stick to your guns in as far as bartering goes. If you are only prepared to pay a certain price, the stall holder will eventually give in rather than loose your custom. But you just need to be aware that huge, massive crowds gather on Market Days, and I do mean huge crowds. Its almost as if the entrire population of Benidorm descends upon this small corner of the town.

Pickpockets are able to 'work' practically unnoticed in such large crowds, so I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to be 'on your guard' at all times in and around the market place on market days.

As a point of interest, this same Market operates on alternative days in the small villages on the outskirts of Benidorm, and whilst it is not as big, they are the same stall holders, only instead of say six stalls selling towels, there will only be two stalls. Instead of ten stalls selling CD's and DVD's there will only be three. But the crowd is also that much smaller and it is somewhat more comfortable walking around the market. Although of course you do still need to excercise a bit of common sense, as indeed you would anywhere, but if you really do want to go to the market then you might be better off taking the bus and going to it when its on in one of the villages.

I must admit I never knew that 'staged' fights/arguments took place. Thats is something I have learnt and I can pass on to friends and relatives.
OK...I`m gonna be a sour puss here. :oops:
Why bother going to the market when you can find all the same stuff in all the shops in town.?
I hate going to the place, it`s over-crowded, over-rated and unbearable at times....and an opportunist thiefs paradise.
I have managed to get my bargains from up in the old town, where the Spanish do their shopping, or paying maybe 1 euro (60 pence) more for the same thing in town, and not have to act like I am in a straight jacket.!
If you are buying fruit and veg, and wanting herbs and spices, then it is a good market on a Wednesday..... but for the rest of it.... :roll:
Not my cuppa tea I`m afraid anymore, I value my purse and its contents, more than I do picking up a tatty bargain. :wink:

besos xxx
Sanji
Why bother going to the market when you can find all the same stuff in all the shops in town.?

Actually that is a very good piece of advise and one which I think either myself or someone else has already mentioned further back on this thread.

It is very true that many items 'on sale' in the market can be purchased for either (1) the same price as in one of the many local shops, or (2) maybe a few cents, or a couple of euros cheaper, or (3) maybe slightly more expensive than in the shops.

Unfortuantely many holiday makers tend to get 'tunnel vision' when they hear the word 'Market'. They automatically think they are going to get something on the cheap, but I have to agree with Sanji in that with all the aggro that is now associated with the Market, massive crowds, pick pockets, etc etc. is it really worth it? I admit I do still go to the market but I only stay for maybe an hour, probably not even that. And yes, I have got a couple of bargains, but I have also bought a few CD's that I subsequentley found cheaper in a shop in the Old Town.

Back in the 1980's it was a good day out, but as Sanji has pointed out, it no longer has the appeal it used to. Yes, if you are a 'first-timer' to Benidorm, by all means take a trip there, but-

Please DO adopt common sense at all times
Please DO be on your guard,
Please DO excercise caution,
Please DO 'barter' if you feel confident enough, it often works in
your favour. DON'T accept the first price you are quoted.
Please DO have a good time.
Please DO keep an eye on your little ones. Keep very young kiddies on a 'leash' if you have one.
Please DO remember to take your mobile with you, but keep them safely secured somewhere on your chest if possible. They can be useful if people in your group become separated, but it may not always be possible to get a good signal.

BUT

Please DON'T take all your valuables with you.
Please DON'T carry large amounts of money on you.
Please DON'T carry your camera with you. You won't need it!
Please DON'T stop at the 'Lookie Lookie' men stalls.
Please DON'T be fooled by the electrical products, most don't work!
Please DON'T keep anything of any value in a back pocket.
Please DON'T get involved with the 'Pea Men'.
Please DON'T take kiddies in a pushchair, you will find it virtually impossible to get around the isles, and it can be very distressing for the infant because of the sheer volume of people.

If you follow this simply advice then your visit to the Market should go without incident, and you should have a good day.
I am thinking of visiting this market on a Sunday as an alternative to Benidorms hand bag and sunglasses.Anyone been?
hi there yes we have been just outside of benidorm there is a car boot market there we went on the bus it will open your eyes what they sell could of got some great bargains if we could of brought them home we will be going again when we go in sept when you expect to go julie
We noticed a few things this year on going to the outdoor market, first go as early as possible we were there for just after 9 and it was great to go round the market without it being far too busy also in our hotel they had an excursion over tot he market at 11am so by the time they got over it would be 11.20 ish by that time we were most of the way round.

Also the sunday market was better than the wednesday one with far more stalls, we went on the wednesday and got a few pairs of shoes and a couple of bags and went back on sunday for take home presants but ended up with more bags :lol: One bag was priced at 60 euros and a bit dusty after haggeling i got it for 20 euros :yipee came home and took some wipes to it and it cleaned up fine.

Another thing to watch is we took a friend who hadnt been and she found a chanel bag and the price started at 80 euros :shock: but they came down to 60 and she was thinking about it till i pointed out would she pay £40 for it back home, which she wouldnt and walked away, its easy to get carried away with the haggeling but transfer it back to £ and if you would pay that back home then go for it.
Well I have only been to the benidorm market, and its getting a bit boring now, were going to the altea market tommorow, so after weve been, I will let everyone know my opinion if it was better than the benidorm market :lol:
I agree, I think the Outdoor Market in Benidorm has had its day now. Every year we go, it tends to be the same old stuff. Bags, bags, and yet more bags mainly. And many of the items can be bought much cheaper locally in Resort, or indeed back home. If you are good at bartering you may get yourself the odd bargain here and there, but we don't tend to go there now as much as we used to. That said, I think its better on a Sunday than it is on a Wednesday.

I was under the impression that the Market in Altea was the same as the one in Benidorm? I guess I am mistaken :hmmm
Finestrat markets good, it's not as big as Benidorm market and don't seem as crowded but the pickpockets are there all the same :x I have got some great bargains, especially shoes, last year i got a pair of Next shoes for 5 Euros and a pair of lovely sandals for 4 Euros on the stalls which you have to sort thru, i know it's a selling tactic where they take all the shoes out of the boxes and throw them on the stall and you have to rummage to find a bargain, but sometimes you can find a really nice pair, i did so thats where i'll be Friday......... rummaging (spell) :D
crystal xx
I was under the impression that the Market in Altea was the same as the one in Benidorm? I guess I am mistaken

You may be not as mistaken as you think, as I have just returned from benidorm, and I visited both benidorm market, and altea market. My advice is, if you have been to benidorm market, dont bother going to altea market as it sells exactly the same stuff, the only difference is that there are more fake items (gucci bags, dior bags, breitling watches etc) because there is not as much police presence as there is at benidorm market.
Hi. Thank you for that. I have been to both markets myself you see, in Beni and in Altea, and I was led to believe that these markets were one and the same, but the one held in Altea is slightly smaller. Can't remember now if that is true ot not, as once you have been to the market in Beni, seems little point in going slightly furtjer afield to see the same goods being sold.
what day is the finestrat market held on and can i catch a bus from the rincon de liox area?
HI helen the beni market in on wednesdays & sundays and you can walk it from rincon de liox area it will only take you about 20mins as for the other market i dont know

yours the fatboy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.