Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
i think it boils down to personal taste, i prefer olu deniz , lovely scenery, beautiful lagoon area, its not that quiet, there are a fair few bars, restaurants ,shops etc and easy to get to hisaronu only 5 mins on a dolmus if you want more choice. hisaronu is mainly geared up for the brits, with chinese restaurants, bars, more shops etc, but it is a lot louder and busier in hisaronu with slightly more shops, bars etc. its easy to get to olu just 5 mins on a dolmus down a winding steep hill of about 1 1/2 - 2 miles approx. the decision is yours, but if you want a beach then you will have to go to olu as hisaronu doesnt have a beach, there is also ovacik next to hisaronu which is about a mile further from olu towards fethiye, prices for hotels ,apts etc are generally cheaper there, but theres not a lot there except hotels, apts and we felt a bit isolated and needed taxis and dolmuses to get about and you will need to go to either olu or hisaronu for shops and restaurants, its slightly higher up surrounded by mountians and is a few degrees cooler there. read up on peoples reports to help you decide as everyone has their own preferences
Thanks Ellie-Meg to the rescue again! I have been reading up and there seems to be a big debate already over the two, I know its just personal taste but it's so confusing. I still want to try Akyaka but we're going with friends that want a bit more going on. I think its because I really like the sound of the Yalcin hotel maybe we could move it down the mountain!
Mel
Hi, I prefer Olu Deniz as it is by the beach with plenty enough going on. you can sit in the bars right on the beach and watch the sun go down, there are plenty of restaurants and also many hotels that are family run if that is what you like about the Yalcin. The Blue Star, the Magic Tulip, the Magic Tulip beach, the Lemon tree, being just a few which are family run.
http://www.hotelbluestaroludeniz.com http://www.magictulip.com two web pages for you to browse. Hisaranou is good as well if you do decide on that one.
Crockergirl sent you pm
as ellie_meg said it alcomes down to personal taste olu is wonderfull but personally i like being based in hisaronu and driving down to olu,
but it is easier for me as i have a car so im not dependant on dolmus or taxis
the yalcin hotel is a great hotel but there are plenty of hotels in hisaronu that would meet your criteria
chech all the web sites and forums
Hi Crockergirl,

I thik if you've got your heart set on this hotel, then you should plump for that. Most of the hotels are away from the main street - so there shouldn't be any issues with noise.

Hisaronu itself is a fairly small resort, but at night it can get very busy - and very LOUD! It is full of 'Englishy' restauarants - all serving exactly the same menus. There's some very loud bars, and lots of shops selling typical souvenirs, and fake designer handbags. One of the problems with Hisaronu at night, is, the bar owners seem to think that if they play the LOUDEST music - then they'll pull in more customers: and the result of that is, you're blasted from all angles by 3 or 4 different sonic-booms! :shock:

However, on the upside, there are actually some very good restauarants there, and they're slightly cheaper than those in Oludeniz. The bars and clubs also stay open until the early hours, so you'll not be stuck for somewhere to go late at night.

The surrounding countryside of Hisaronu is breathtakingly pretty, and one of the nicest hotels in that region of Turkey, is actually situated on the edge of Hisaronu (away from the noise). The view of Oludeniz as you drive down from Hisaronu is equally breathtaking, and well worth doing for that alone.

Dolmus' run every five minutes between the two resorts, so transport is not a problem. Most people who stay in Hisaronu go down to Oludeniz for the beach anyway - so really, it doesn't matter too much where you actually stay: you'll get to see both resorts as they are so near to each other.

Oludeniz is also extremely pretty, and far more peaceful than Hisaronu at night (during the day, Hisaronu is slightly dead, as everyone goes down to Olu - or stays inside their hotel). The Lagoon at Oludeniz is lovely, and there's some gorgeous secluded beaches nearby too. I don't know anyone who hasn't fallen in love with Oludeniz - it is incredibly beautiful. But Hisaronu (away from the main street) is equally stunning in a different way.

If I were you I'd plump for the hotel you fancy in Hisaronu - and you can always escape down to Oludeniz each day if it turns out you don't like it. :)

Strawberry
Thanks everyone for the advice so far.I'm being swayed now to the blue star although I can't find prices at the moment. ( the Yalcin was so cheap £150 for two weeks b£b inc transfers and a/c so that would be hard to beat!)I think Olu sounds more us and Briar seems to like the same type of holiday as us she would be on the right track.
we personally weren't keen on Gumbet and would be worried that Hisaronu may be similar.not to offend anyone that likes it but we're probably a bit old for all that lark, although we love a party atmosphere and a bit of a lively night and fun without it being like southend seafront! (i'm allowed to say that because I live near there so I can!)
I was told that it can be too hot down in olu and is more bearable up the mountain but will it really make that much difference? I think a really good view would take priority too.
Sorry Lindy but i'm away at the moment on my laptop and it can be a bit temperamental so I didn't get your pm would you mind trying again please.
Descisions descisions eh, thanks all again, Mel
crockergirl how can you put southend seafront in the same category as hisaronu give me anywhere in turkey you can keep sunny southend all for yourself
only joking i live in this dump as well :D
Crocker Girl

Only just read your post.
It was me that recommended the Yalcin Hotel in Hisaronu.

We first stayed with the family in 1989, and stayed in Ovacik in October last year and decided to look them up.

They treated us like old friends, and spent a great week in October. While we were there they showed us round their new apartment which we fell in love with, so decided to book for this July.

We have also stayed in Olu Deniz, and we loved this too. Hisaronu isbusy and bustling in the summer, so I cant really comment on it as we were there in October but Olu is only 5 mins away by dolmus, and we intend to visit it a lot in July as we have made some great friends there last year, who we saw again in October.
Any other questions, please ask.
Sue :D
Hi all,
im still here in sunny Clacton on my dodgy laptop! ( thought southend was bad!) Thanks for your comments they all make so much sense and when I get back i'm going to let our friends run through the advice and we can decide together.I suppose in my view because the hotel looks a great price and offers what we want, olu is so near and easy to get to, I should do it that way, but then again if I can decide on an equally good Hotel in Olu I would probably do it that way round.
Anyone would think I was an indecisive female, you should see me when i'm shopping for shoes!!!!
Mel.
I love Hisaronu (not so keen on Ovacik) and have stayed there many times but also love to go down to Olu although I have never wanted to stay there. Dolmus run every couple of minutes and it has never felt a problem to get to the beach. Although it is hot in Hisaronu during the day, it is much much cooler in the evening, so much better to sleep. Regarding noise and nightlife, seconds from the main street and it is soooo..........peaceful! It is a very friendly place, no hassle and a great choice of bars and restaurants, something for everyone. :yipee
Whatever you choose, you will have a great time! :pele
if we go Briar it would probably have to be during school holidays as the friends we will go with have younger children.Ours are off away with their mates this year.
It does look like a stunner for scenery around that area,
Mel
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.