UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Thanks both.
I have read both of those threads, I can't wait now! :) David, is it possible to move this into the York thread? ***

Thanks Patka, probably will go with the park & ride then, they always tend to be the easiest option, :)

Sunaholic.

***Done !!
David HT Mod
Looking for suggestions for cheapish accommodation end of July or end of Sept for 4 adults please.

It's too early to get a bargain with Travel Lodge as I have checked.

Any thoughts or recommendations please let me know. Thanks.
We rented a terraced house 5 minutes walk from the Minster for about £50 a night. It had a double and a twin room plus lounge, kitchen, dining room and bathroom. We were there in Feb so didn't use the garden but in summer it would be nice to sit out in with a glass of wine. If you google "Burton Breaks" (sorry can't remember the website) it's the house rather than the apartment.
Thanks Elaine, I had a look at the site you mentioned. I couldn't fathom out if they did breaks as short as 1-2 nights.

Thanks anyway.
Joolz just looked on the Travelodge website and there are loads of saver rooms available both for end of july and end september £29 per night . there is a travelodge in the city centre and one at Tadcaster a few miles away .we stayed at that one a couple of years ago and it was an easy drive in if you cant get the city centre one .

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/saver_search/results.php?search_type=4&search=York%2C%20City%20of%20York&id=27637

lyn
Masons Arms is pretty good, they've got parking and you're on Fishergate which is only 5 mins walk into the centre. If you're staing over the weekend they also do an excellent Sunday lunch :tongue
http://www.masonsarmsyork.co.uk/
Hi All. My husband has won a weekend for 2 in York through work, however, we have 2 children aged 3 and 7 and we're reluctant to leave them with anyone for 2 nights. I was thinking about maybe upgrading the room to a family room and taking them with us but is there anything there for the children? Would it be worth it or would they be bored and miserable? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
theres loads to do in york, the railway museum is free and ya can spend a few hours in there, a walk around the wall is good, theres loads of museums in york some free some not, a boat trip is good, i could go on but i wont,
I agree with si there is loads in york for children depending on age . We have taken our children many times although admitidly they are older .the railway museum as si mentioned has special exhibitions on during school holidays with thomas the tank for younger ones. theres also the Yovik viking centre ( :oops: sorry spelling ), the york dungeons, the wall to walk, christmas time there is an outdoor ice rink . the york castle museum (which sounds boring and I hate museums but this is different) it is mainly set up as exhibitions from various times in our past like the seventies kitchen which never fails to have me in stitches . there are also cells underneath where you can wander (you can see dick turpins cell). lots of family eating places and shopping and th evening ghost tours which are great fun for all the family.

I dont think your children will be bored but equally its a lovely place to go without them ,lots of lovely little pubs that you can crash in for drinks, coffee and lovely home cooked food and the river ouse to wander along .

lyn
Thanks for the replies, I'm just waiting for the hotel to get back to me with a cost for upgrading to the family room, if it's not extortionate we'll go ahead and book.
Taking our 4 and 5 year old to york this summer, only have a few days this time so can't manage all of the fabulous things to see and do, so what are the must sees and things not to bother with ?
Well for a 4 and 5 year old the railway museum would probably be a must if you have boys and their is a thomas the tank exhibition on .

the evening ghost tours are also a must . I recommend The original ghost tour from the kings arms under the ouse bridge . or the one that goes from outside the Jorvik viking centre (ghost detective i believe) .

Thought the jorvik viking centre was a rip off . We had to pay about £30 for our family of 5 and we were out in about an hour .

The york dungeons are good but your children may not like it .
the castle museum is great for the whole 2/3 hours it takes you to see everything

Not been for a couple of years but I did read somewhere that there is now a wheel type attraction. similar to the london eye .

The wall walk is a must again but maybe not buggy friendly if you need one .

not done a boat trip as we have only ever been during the autumn/winter . but looks good and im sure your children would love that too
Would second the opinion that the Jorvik Centre is a rip off. York Dungeon is definitely too scary for young kids. The boat trips are ok but I think the bus ones are better. The railway and castle museums are also very good.
The wheel which is a smaller version of the London Eye is at the railway museum. Both the museum and the 'Eye' are great
Hi

Myself and 8 friends are visiting York in August for a friends 40th birthday :glynis :glynis !!

Any recommendations of reasonably priced hotels would be very much appreciated. Preferably close to or in the City Centre.

Many thanks :)

Elaine
Ramada Encore - two minutes walk into town centre with a bar next door to the hotel
Never been and considering a short break there in February. I believe there's a Viking festival on some time in February. Any info about waht to do and see would be good. Ta ;)
Lovely place, York.

Places to go - York Minster, Castle Museum, National Railway Museum (even if like me you have no interest in trains, it's still very much worth a visit). Good shopping and loads and loads of fabulous pubs!!
Jade the viking festival is normally on over the half term week. you should be able to find details of whats on offer on the tourist board website or http://www.visityork.org .

York is great and we prefer it there over the winter . We have been several times for weekend breaks with and without our 3 children and they always enjoy themselves . the evening ghost tours are a must . theres something about york in the winter that makes it very special .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.