UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
been to york?
63 Posts
totally agree helen - we have been to york several times both as a family and just the 2 of us :D . its our favouite place and we love it there - always try to go once a year :D :D it just has a feel about it that i cant explain but never find anywhere else. We always go in the winter when the pubs are cosy with real fires, and evenings are cold and dark and full of mystery!!! we never get fed up with York . We have obviously done all the touristy things now but just enjoy browsing the shops, being watered and fed in cosy pubs and we always try a new ghost tour :D :D .

We could actually move there
:D :D

lyn
Yes i agree too its fab York :D would love to live there!

I have been in all the museums, so go to shop and eat/to the pubs and love the ghost walks too, always end up with the tasty bread from Bettys too!

Im planning a visit soon as not been for ages - will offer to go to my mums cabinet in the antique centre to restock - good excuse to visit!

Have just found an all veggie/vegan b&b so keen to try that out!

Alison :D
Hi everyone! Unfortunately York is nearly a six hour trip from us otherwise we would go there much more often . Didn't have time to do the ghost tours & that's something that really appeals to me.
I'll stick to taking my caravan to York
We go when we can get into Rowntree Park Caravan Club site

We are at the side of the Ouse in sight of St Michaels tower and a short walk to the city centre and the Maltings pub

Can't comment n veggie food as I'm not a veggie I like my meat too much

but found a good Chinese last time we were there the Willow Tree
See Yorks latest attraction The Yorkshire Wheel

CLICK HERE

nick :smokin
well i never knew about that nick - good excuse for another visit :D :D . Its at least 4 hours for us too Helen but we have a tradition of stopping at the Mcdonalds half way on the A1 on the big roundabout which i think is Newark :D :D . the trip wouldnt be the same without it :D

lyn
well i live in York and compared to some cities it is quite pleasent. But i do find it a rip off price wise, last year i took a mid week break to London and was shocked at how close the prices were. I do find that York is a nightmare to get around, public transport is unreliable and very expensive, Traffic can be horendous, Walking through the city centre you are knocked flying by other people ( It doesn't seem a problem in other cities.). There is also said to be one pub for every day of the year in York,
the big roundabout on the A1 you are on about is at Markham Moor and it's just outside Retford...an ideal place to stop on the way to York.
I must confess, i have not been to York for a couple of years since i took the kids there for a day in the summer to visit all the usual attractions. The kids loved it and i must admit i did too as it brought back all my childhood memories of when we used to visit York. One thing did make me feel old though.....there are items in the Castle Museum that have been in use in my lifetime....
markham moor - thats it :D :D . ahhh the castle museum - thats a delight :D :D . I turned my nose up at going in there - thought it was just "another musuem" but how wrong was I. and the underground cells :D :D great stuff :D :D. We took my mother in law in there in october . we couldnt stop laughing at the "80s" kitchen it was identical to hers :D :D

glad it was hers and not mine :D :D
lyn
Lyn westie... i live a few miles from Markham Moor Roundabout and many moons ago, when i was a young whippersnapping teenager, i worked at that very same McDonalds when it first opened...

I love the Castle Museum, but i reckon i would have died laughing if my mother in law's kitchen had been featured!

I also hear that there is a new site opening where the kids can join in on some archeological dig or another..stuff the kids..i would love to try that!!!!
hi Val or rob

my hubby would enjoy that too Anything "Roman" and he,s your man :D :D .

your post made me chuckle - see how we start talking about York and end up going completely :offtop and end up discussing Mcdonalds of all things.

hmmmmmm could just go a quarter pounder with cheese :D :D

lyn
Hello, my wife and I have finally managed to get a hotel room in York for New Years Eve and New Years Day, now just need to arrange our partying! Does anyone know if pubs in York are ticket only affairs on these nights, especially New Years Eve? I expect that places like The Living Room and similar establishments require booking and/or tickets but we're thinking more along the lines of 'normal' pubs like The Red Lion, The Snickleway, The Maltings etc.

Don't want to get there and find we can't get in anywhere :(

(Being a 'careful' Yorkshireman, this may prove a cheaper method of finding out than by phoning round the establishments themselves :D :wink: )
Why not put the question on Radio North Yorkshire message board and see what replies you get ?
Has anybdy stayed at the Deans Court Hotel right by the Minster..I really like the position of it...mind you having said that it is £150..per night...has anybody any recommendations....we will not be taking the car...but want to be in or near the centre.....
Not one of the best, some Australian friends of ours stayed there and their room was not very good and if you have a room overlooking the main street it is can be noisy. Definitely overpriced. Will pm you later today with better alternatives.

Patka
Many thanks Patka.....
The Masons Arms is good. It's near the castle, 5 mins to the centre of York. Nice rooms and they do great pub food too, it's room only but if you want a breakfast there's a Wetherspoons across the road.

Also my Mum and Dad swear by Travelodge which is just across the road (next to Wetherspoons), especially if you can get a Saver Room for £26 :D
has anyone any suggestion for reasonably priced accomadation close to york racecourse
Hi.
I am taking my husband away to Griffon Forest for a surprise next weekend and I would like to go into York. Just wondering whether anyone could recommend where we should park or whether we should get a Park & Ride?
Any other tips would be gratefuly received.
:D
Sunaholic.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.