UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Can anyone help with finding a nice hotel in the centre of York for my son and his girlfriend? Thanks
Rubyred,

Take your pick. Plenty of options but York is very expensive for accommodation. What kind of budget are they looking for?

A good budget option just outside the city walls is the Premier Inn on Blossom Street, but even their rates have risen dramatically in the past few years. Travelodge Central is similar, but over the other side of York (still walking distance to the centre though).

Other options, Ramada Encore, Queens Hotel, Hilton, Novotel (we've stayed there, great location and free parking) and countless others including many Best Westerns. Further afield on Tadcaster Road you have the Holiday Inn (just stayed there, 25min walk to the city walls but very cheap at New Years) and the Marriott (one up from the Holiday Inn and about 20mins walk).
Thanks for your reply. I am looking for somewherwe a bit posh but not overally expensive.
Hi there,
7 of us are coming to York in July and we need somewhere we can get a triple room with 3 single beds and 2 twin rooms. I'm having trouble finding places that actually have 3 beds, most seem to have a double and a single.
We want somewhere fairly central (we're coming by train so don't want to have to walk too far) and our budget is £60 for B&B.
Can anyone who knows York suggest a hotel/B&B please?

Thanks a lot
Does this involve a horse race meeting because if so it could be a case of taking whatever you're offered, York gets busy when the races are on!

I used to stay in York for work at least every other week during the 90s and learnt one thing - the turnover of small places is alarming and recommendations more than a year old can't be relied on - which is why I won't make any.

A good area for small B&Bs and guesthouses would be the area between Bootham (busy road) and the river, there is a short cut from the station via a footbridge attached to the Scarborough railway line. Addresses like Marygate..., StMary's..., Bootham Terrace (quieter feeder street) and Sycamore ... would be handy.

the York tourist office has a very good looking website at http://www.visityork.org/accommodation/hotel-bnbs/default.aspx unfortunately it's another victory for style over content so you might save time by using the phone number or email address on it. The search function allows you to make a whole list of special need such as "Staff fluent in Welsh" (answer: None!) but you don't seem to be able to search by number of beds in room which I would have thought was a reasonable request.

If you're not going during racing and can't get close to the centre then I stumbled on this place http://www.racecoursecentre.co.uk which may be worth further investigation. It isn't really walkable from the station with more than an overnight bag but once luggage is stowed then it is do-able to the centre as long as the rain isn't hammering down (there are plenty of buses during normal hours).
Thanks for your help Steve (no we're not coming to the races, just a good old fashioned 'girlie' weekend!)
Outside of race weeks your budget should be more than enough for B&B/ guesthouse type places. The place at the race course would probably need a 5-10 minute taxi ride back from the centre late at night, especially if the head doesn't have total communication with the legs!!
Hi I have booked for me and the children to goto York for 3 days in the Scottish October week. We're staying in the Novotel in the centre. Hope to do the Jorvik centre, the train museum,a bus tour and possibly the castle Museum. Will this be too much? Also what are taxi's like in York? We have the hackney style cabs where we live and may get a taxi from the station to the hotel.
Hi three days will be ideal for what you want to do. Not sure about the taxis, sorry. York is fairly compact, & it might be worth you having a look at a map to see how far the hotel is from the station, as the station is fairly central.
Novotel is on the opposite side of the centre from the station, it is walkable but only if you know the way, don't have heavy luggage and it isn't raining. Once you've found it you can walk to the museums, the Railway Museum is the furthest away.

Taxis on the station rank are the usual mix - anything from a Mercedes to multi seat converted vans but I've never seen any that look like they printed their own MOTs !!

The Jorvik museum can have long queues at times, if your week is different to the English schools it might be OK but check whether you can book a set time and jump the queue.
Just to add that the Novotel is a great choice in York. Excellent rooms and a cracking location just a short walk from Cliffords Tower and all the other attractions in York city centre.

Enjoy your trip.
Hi Groovee

If you haven't already considered it, I would suggest getting a York Pass (http://www.yorkpass.com/) as this can save you quite a bit of money if you make the most of it.
Thanks for all the tips. The bus and the jorvik centre take tesco clubcard deals so have ordered some from there. Can't believe I'll be there in about 10 days
The viking centre's a bit of an anti climax groovee and doesnt last very long .

The one attraction I didnt expect to enjoy was the castle museum and actually i thought it was the best .

Don't forget the all essential ghost tours too . There are several that leave around 8pm every evening .The children will love it
8pm?? I'll be in my bed by then lol. DD has studied the vikings so we'll have her as a tour guide and 3 friends have recommended the castle museum. We'll see how we go as the kids can get exhausted.
Hi,

I hope someone can help!

I am looking for a hotel, lodge, log cabin, cottage whatever that has a jacuzzi or hot tub in the room in York on Saturday 23rd October - the only place I have found that allows one night stays is fully booked!

Does anyone know of somewhere?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!! x
Hotels in York often have a policy (or they used to anyway) of only taking 2 night bookings over the weekend . In practice I can't see them refusing a 1 night booking in leaner times though but as the 23rd is the start of half term your chances may not be so good .

How about phoning the York tourist board to see if they have any suggestions.

ps . Just found the monk bar hotel as having some rooms with 4 poster and jacuzzi . http://www.york360.co.uk/hotels-in-york/monk-bar-hotel-york.htm

another couple here

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/the-holme-lea-manor.en.html

http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/hotels/minsterhotel.html

I know griffon forest get's good reviews but I doubt very much if they would do 1 night bookings .Always worth a phone call though http://www.lodgeswithhottubs.org.uk/North-of-England/Vale-of-York/Griffon-Forest.html?gclid=CIGBhP65mqQCFYZo4wodmR0OGA
Thanks alot for your help.

The 2 that accepted one night stays are sold out & everywhere else I have found are 2 night minimum stay - oh well! xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.