Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
I love Pasticcio, my mum makes it really nice. I usually make some tzatziki to start when we have it too and some salad.
How about this for a treat. It's just got me thinking about this weeks shopping basket!
:think :think
I do love Greek food, having been sampling it a lot over the last 30 years and I did enjoy my two cookery courses in Symi.

This lot should keep you busy for a while: Here. I'm still working my way through it.
hi you all...am going to try the aubergine recipe for a veggie relative coming over christmas...seems easy enough and I know she likes greek food...but it will need bread to go with it...so tune me in ...which bread and where will I get it.....also any more nice greek vegie main meal recipes you think I could manage...tweetie
Have you tried the Aubergine sliced and deep fried in batter? It makes a lovely starter.
:tup
no havent tried the aubergine in batter....but I did use the aubergine with feta on top recipe today and it was very nice...it went down really well....tweetie
Does anyone have the recipe for Contasouvlay? (that is how you say it but I am not sure of the spelling)I know it is lamb spit roasted (or in the oven) with lots of rosemary and salt but is there anything else and is it only fresh rosemary? I have only encountered this in Zante and Corfu at one tiny 'locals' place, but it is absolutely delicious!
Thank you but that is pork Souvlaki and the one I am trying to find is lamb. I see it says Kontasouvli after the Souvlaki which is a bit confusing!!
Have a look at this lot - it looks as though it's the same recipe, different meat but done on a spit over charcoal.

http://wn.com/Souvla_kontosouvli_lamb_on_the_spit
do you mean Arni souvla? arni meaning lamb obviously...how big was it,you might mean xondresouvla(xondre meaning big,or fat,chunky or so on) if you're referring to the huge ones,they tend to come on a platter removed from the souvla(skewer)with the meat being in huge chunks the size of a fist? as for the recipe etc everywhere does them slightly differently,they're seasoned rather than flavoured,the quality of the taste comes more from the fact they're charcoal grilled more than what they add to the meat,but usually it's salt,possibly a touch of cumin,olive oil and water,basted on as it cooks.

place in the village round the corner from mine called obelix does the best one ever,my god :really
That looks like the one Parky 45! I never knew it was marinated in pineapple first! Well wadya know - that must be what gives it that amazing flavour! Thanks for that.
I attempted to make the Beef stifado recipe and so I bought the beef, the good red wine, the veg and 328 (lol) different herbs and spices and after 6 hours with the oven on in July decided to leave it to the locals and enjoy it on holiday, which by the way I could have paid for with the cost of all the ingredients.
:cheers
Cypruschick - cheat like I do, and buy the mix when you're out there - not quite the same, but lovely nonetheless.
there is a greek site BUT with videos in ENGLISH as the female chef is making the dish!
it is very interesting and very helpful! you can take a look and you may find your favorite recipe in there!

http://www.greekrecipes.tv/

xxx
Kate
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.