Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
I have to confess, this recipe is taken from the link below, I quote verbose, take no credit for it and do not claim it as my own...but it does work great :D

If the guy who wrote the page objects, I will remove this post immediately, but I don't think he will as its a great recipe :D (in my opinion).

I would categorise it in the Cypriot style - as you say, they do all vary...I also move from it away slightly instead of doing it in the oven, as I do it in the pressure cooker, without the flour (thicken afterwards) for 45 minutes on max pressure.

http://freespace.virgin.net/ward.mail/stifado.htm

Traditionally, this dish is served with crust bread to mop up the gravy, but it's also great with a few veg and my great rosemary potatoes.

sorry Ady removed copy right text but left the link
wizard
That's great I'm veggie and was going to try to make Stiphado with Quorn (as I remember how lovely it was when I ate meat - over 8 years now!) so at least I have an idea!
Will look out some of my recipies and psot one in return at a future time.
Hi
As one veggie to another. if you have an Asda where you live they do 'veggie beef style chunks' This would be great in 'Beef Stiffado' I recently made 'Scouse' and it was brill - Quorn is great but sometimes the 'colour' of it can make all dishes look the same!!!!
Irene
OK - 2 recipes that I got from a friend - she ran a taverna on Leros but was from Serres in Makedonia. (in the best Greek style - one pan, simple dishes!)

Mackerel in tomato and thyme (for two)-

2 headed, tailed and gutted mackerel
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 onion
1 clove garlic
black pepper
olive oil
thyme
water
Tomato puree (optional)

Use a deep frying pan with a lid

Chop onion and garlic, fry in olive oil until softening. Add tomatoes, use tin as measure for water - add full tin of water to pan (add tomato puree if you like REALLY tomatoey food!). Season with thyme and black pepper to taste. Add mackerel, cover and cook at a simmer until done (about 30-40 mins). Add a little olive oil to richen the sauce further if necessary. Serve with boiled potatoes and crusty bread. Goes well with retsina!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Filo "rice pudding" - 9 small portions

No rice involved - just the flavour is of the best, creamiest rice pud you'll ever have.

1 pack defrosted filo pastry
1 can condensed milk (NOT evaporated condensed)
water
melted butter

In a rectangular, buttered baking tin, layer the filo pastry, brushing each sheet with melted butter as you go. Mix the condensed milk with one can of water. Pour over the filo. Place in a 190ish degree oven until done (you'll know when it's done, it goes all gooey and caramelised on top!) - about 45 mins. Leave until cold/cool to eat - will keep in fridge for a couple of days, but bring up to room temp before eating...

Happy dieting! :shock:
i have so many dont know where to start so ill start with the first nice one i ever came across

my mum and her partner stayed in a place called Poros its a little place just up the cost from Skala in Kefalonia, she came home and made me Greek eggs.

very simple just finely chop a red onion and sprinkle it into raw fried eggs just before they start to harden, delicious
Tzoutzoukakia tonight!! Mince, 1 egg, finely chopped onion, fresh or dried mint, 1 slice of bread soaked, squeezed and rubbed into breadcrumbs.....squidge together until mixed...

Make into sausage shapes, whack into shallow lidded casserole. Mix 1 can chopped tomatoes with one of water, 1 chopped onion, black pepper, good splash of good olive oil.

Tip over "sausages" cook, covered, at 190 deg for about 1 hour (until done - I don't do cooking durations!)
slice a few aubergines longways and fry the slices in generous amounts of olive oil.

meanwhile, make a tomoato sauce but frying onion and generous helpings of garlic, add a couple of cans of tomatoes, a few bay leaves and a desert spoon or so of dried greek oregano. plus seasoning.

arrange the slice of auberine in a roastiung dish in layers with the sauce in between and covering the top. bake fpor an hour or so, crumbling some feta onto the top 10 mins before the end

delicious
Here's one from the Mythos:
Feta Mousse

100 ml chicken stock;10g gelatine powder;150g feta;150 ml whipped cream
few black olives;rosemary;
vinaigrette to accompany
2/3 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup balsamic, 3 large chopped black olives and ½ greek size fresh tomato, peeled and seeded and chopped.

Warm chicken stock and dissolve gelatine, add crumbled feta. When cool, fold into cream and fold in olives and rosemary. Season to taste. Fridge.
My Greek Friends made me this, you must try it:

This delicious and easy Feta Cheese Pita is made with eggs, yogurt, and feta cheese.

More like a quiche than a cheese pie, this is an easy dish to prepare using an electric mixer. It's a great snack to enjoy with coffee, and for those who eat breakfast (unlike most Greeks), try this to start your day.
INGREDIENTS:

* 1 1/4 pounds of feta cheese, crumbled
* 14 ounces of Greek strained yogurt
* 4 eggs
* 7 ounces of margarine, softened
* 1 cup of flour
* 2 1/4 tablespoons of baking powder
* 2 tablespoons of olive oil

PREPARATION:

Use a 10 inch diameter round baking pan or equivalent.

Preheat over to 355F (180C).

Using an electric mixer, add eggs and margarine to mixer bowl and beat at high speed. When the margarine has been well blended (about 2 minutes), add yogurt and reduce mixing speed to medium-low until it starts to blend in, then increase to high.

Mix or sift together the flour and baking powder and add to mixing bowl. Add crumbled feta 1/4 of the quantity at a time to allow to mix in. Scrape sides of mixing bowl occasionally to push cheese in toward center. Continue mixing at high speed for 6-8 minutes until very well blended and creamy (small pieces of cheese will still be visible).

Pour into baking pan and spread evenly. Bake at 355F (180C) for 40 minutes (check at 35 for doneness) until golden brown. Use a sharp knife to cut into small squares, diamonds, or triangles.

Preparation note: If you can't find Greek yogurt, make your own thick yogurt using commercial full fat, lowfat, or nonfat yogurt.

Thanks to Nancy Gaifyllia for the recipe
If you want to learn and cook greek recipies visit these sites with english pages, if you can read greek buy the ultimate greek guide, best ever, named "Tselementes"
a) http://www.greekcuisine.com/
b) http://www.recipe.gr/
c) http://www.sintages.gr/
Recipies from Crete, the best diet in Greece and my favorite: http://www.cretan-nutrition.gr/
Recipies from Kerkyra but only in greek: http://www.corfuweb.gr/foodguide.htm
Recipies from our days best TV-chef (unfortunately only in greek): http://www.eliasBmamalakis/B.gr/SPAN

Well, all of a sudden I feel a little hungry and I have to leave you
:shock: Thanks Skyllis - there goes my diet!!! Just as well that olive oil is good for you. :wink:
Or you can have a look at:

http://www.greecefoods.com/

(In English).

Ignore his page on ouzo, of course. It's his life's work.

Try a cookery course in Greece. It's great fun and you get to eat everything you've constructed.
Hi :!:

This is a recipe I found which I think comes from around Cyprus although I am not quite sure on the region but it works a treat :idea:

1x rolled shoulder of pork joint
1x large sliced/diced onion
Potatoes, peeled and chopped (as many as you may require as everyone is different)
Fresh Basil, Black Pepper, Pinch of Cinnamon
4 fresh chopped tomatoes
1x stock cube (optional)
good olive oil

Dice the pork and place all ingredients into an oven proof dish, mix well with a fair bit of olive oil, cover with foil. Bake in a moderate oven, 200/gas mark 4-5 for about 2 hours, taking the foil off for the last 30 mins to brown potatoes.

This is a really nice way to have your sunday pork for a change. The pork comes out so tender, we have tried it with chicken portions but found that the juices are not so tasty! :D

I serve this dish in pasta bowls and usually have some nice crusty bread
with it :) If I was cooking for more than 2 people, I would make extra potatoes seperately.
Mine is quite simple really, its Tzatziki made with 0% greek yogurt, chopped cucember, finely chopped garlic and mix well.
So wonderful just have it on almost everything and with no fat either!!!!! :tup
janbabe.. you forgot straight from the fridge on crusty bread drizzled in olive oil not only delicious but also cooling

stinny Yasas

wizard
Wizard - oh wow yes of course - think I'd better go make some now!! Also maybe a bit of feta on the side?! :lol:
that is what I'm looking forward to tomorrow, also taramasalata, obergean salata, and lots of Metaxa [[well no use eating healthy if i cant spoil myself]
probably cheese saganaki, very fattening but a great recipe.
Lamb kleftico's one of my favourites :)

I've been making it in the slow cooker recently and the lamb just falls to pieces. I add the feta about 40mins before it's ready- yummy!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.