General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Which airline Susan as it'll be in their terms and conditions?
The number of cases you have doesn't make a difference, as Glynis said, just check the maximum weight for a suitcase that your airline allows
Its with Thomas Cook. I think I have read in the past as long as each individual bag doesn't exceed 30 kgs but just wanted to make sure.
Here's what TC say:-

Hold baggage can be combined between passengers providing they are all confirmed on the same booking reference. If passengers are travelling together but have separate booking references, you cannot combine the weight allowance.

There are no size restrictions for your hold baggage, however there is a weight restrictions. No single case can weight any more then 30kgs. This is due to Health and Safety regulations for the baggage handlers.
Ta everyone, I better start packing now!
thanks for this folks, I didnt know this and last year brought 3 1/2 empty suitcases with us because I was scared of going overweight on each case, this year it will be 2 cases

shaz :)
The number of cases you have doesn't make a difference, as Glynis said, just check the maximum weight for a suitcase that your airline allows

As the OP is flying with Thomas Cook they're OK because they do let you do this but not all airlines do. Ryanair for example doesn't allow pooling of allowances - each individual passenger, even if on the same booking, is only allowed to check-in a bag up the maximum weight per bag that has been paid for.

Make a mistake over this and even if you've paid for 3x15kgs they'll wap you for horrendous excess baggage charges if you try to check in 2x20kgs. In that instance they'll charge you for 10kgs of excess baggage (even though you are 5kgs under what you've paid for) which the last time I checked would cost you £200 :really It would be cheaper to buy another case at the airport amd re-pack if that happens.

SM
There is a maximum weight of 23 Kg per case so even if within the overall weight do not be tempted to overfill one case - the one the wife will be lugging about ;) .

fwh
SMa wrote:
Thomas Cook they're OK because they do let you do this but not all airlines do. Ryanair for example doesn't allow pooling of allowances

This is why I asked which airline SMa so I could go and check their T&C as I know through experience that they can differ a lot :(

Best to be on the safe side :tup
There is a maximum weight of 23 Kg per case so even if within the overall weight do not be tempted to overfill one case - the one the wife will be lugging about

Only if you're flying with Thomson.
Do check with your airline because although a lot of airlines will allow you to combine the weight some don't so best make sure first.

We have combined the weight before - that was with Easyjet.
Kedi Yavrusu wrote:
Do check with your airline because although a lot of airlines will allow you to combine the weight some don't so best make sure first.

We have combined the weight before - that was with Easyjet.

The airline is Thomas Cook and has already been stated, they are fine with combining luggage as long as no case weighs more than 30kg.
This is why I asked which airline SMa so I could go and check their T&C as I know through experience that they can differ a lot

Hi Glynis, I hadn't meant to imply that you didn't know this - apologies if it came over this way. I just wanted to take a 'belt and graces' approach to make sure that the original poster (or others who read this thread later) didn't take Helen T's comment as applying to all airlines, as they hadn't confirmed that they were flying with Thomas Cook at that point. And I hope that I haven't upset Helen T as a result either.

SM
No offence taken - just glad you clarified the point. :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.