Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
He has a Schengen visa that we got for Spain that lasts 3 months, I know it covers Greece too but I'm not sure about Cyprus.
Hi Kedi,

His Schengen visa will cover Greece, and as Southern Cyprus is Greek-ruled then there shouldn't be a problem with him flying into Larnaca or visiting the south.

Best you double check just to be on the safe side, but I'm sure it will be OK.

Strawberry
Hi Strawberry,can you remember the room number at the Deniz Kizi?I'm staying in Kyrenia for 3 nights end of May before moving up to a villa in Edremit.I cant decide between the Ship and DK,both the same price.How far is DK from Kyrenia and are there any decent restaurants near the hotel? Many thanks.
Strawberry7,

I would just like to point out that southern Cyprus isn't Greek ruled,they do have thier own government.
They speak the same language but that's as far as it goes.Cyprus has never been ruled by the Greeks.
Hi Gooligan,

Thanks for pointing that out - I thought that as the south was the Greek part it would have been under Greek rule, but I suppose it's Greek Cypriot rule then? :think I'm sure it's part of the EU though, isn't it?

Kedi, you'd best check with them to be on the safe side. I know a schengen visa covers most EU countries (although the UK isn't part of it funnily enough) so maybe south Cyprus won't be either. Better safe than sorry. Could you not just fly into Ercan? Or do you want to stay in the south?

Strawberry
Hi Ian,

I'll find out the room number for you tomorrow and post it up.

Out of the 2 hotels the Ship is closer to Kyrenia harbour by about 10 minutes - but neither are very far - although you'll need to take a taxi (unless you like a long walk).

The Deniz Kizi's restaurant does do evening meals, but they are nowhere near as nice as the Ship's food. Having said that, it's not bad by any means - just a bit samey and boring I found. There is a nice restaurant on the small driveway leading up to the DK (the last one on the right as you approach the DK) and the food there was very good. But if you stay at the DK they will drive you free of charge (and bring you back) to Niazzi's restaurant in Kyrenia - it is owned by the DK. You really must go there as the food is spectacular! You'll need to book it as it is very popular - and sitting inside is even nicer as it is so nicely furnished.

Whichever hotel you choose you'll not go wrong. I'll post up the room number of the one we stayed in at the DK.

Strawberry
Thanks Strawberry, I will definitely check first. We could fly into the north but I know it means sitting about on the plane in Turkey for an hour or so before going to Cyprus and we have 2 young children so I thought it may be easier to do it the other way.

I did consider going to the south but my parents have been to Southern Cyrus and they said some people can be a bit funny towards Turkish people so thought it may not be such a good idea.

Kedi
Thanks for your help Strawberry,I've found your posts really useful.No need for the room number at the DK as I've now booked my 3 nights at The Ship.Mountain view of course ;) .
Hi Ian,

Oh I'm sure you'll really be pleased you chose the Ship - it's a lovely hotel. And their car hire is very reasonable too - well worth booking.

A little tip: when you go down for breakfast it's all buffet style (and very good too) with both hot and cold food, but a lot of people don't notice that there's a blackboard as you walk into the restaurant telling you that you can order eggs cooked to your choice (fried, poached, scrambled omelette etc) at no extra charge. They do have the standard boiled eggs already cooked, but if you prefer the other ones just ask the waiter.

Also, not all rooms have hairdryers, but just ask at reception when you check in and they will give you one. They also do washing and ironing at a REALLY small charge!

If you do hire a car and have an hour or two to spare, drive down to the DK anyway (it's only 10 minutes down the road - turn left onto the main road out of the Ship and the DK is on the right about 10 minutes drive down). Non-residents are welcome to use their beach and pool and it really is pretty. Well worth going down there just for a look and maybe a swim in the sea or a drink/lunch. I think there's a small charge to park your car down there, but if you park it outside the main hotel's reception area it's free (it'll just mean walking down a small hill - but it's only about a half-minute walk).

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Strawberry
Cyprus was actually under UK control for many years - hence the UK military presence - and post-independence there was a big lobby for unification with mainland Greece and it was the prospect that this might happen that provoked the invasion of the north of the island by Turkey. As far as the UN and nearly the whole of the rest of the world other than Turkey is concerned, the TRNC doesn't exist, but is simply that part of the island illegally occupied by Turkey. I am NOT seeking to open up a discussion about the rights and wrongs of this but just trying to explain the background to the ambiguities that exist re who can and cannot enter either the south or the north of the island and from where.

SM
Hi Sma

That's correct; Cyprus was under UK rule (I think until about 1960? may be wrong on that) and it's interesting to see how the island still uses our plug sockets etc (and drives on the left - both in the south and the north).

Many Turkish Cypriots work in the south of the island and cross the border every day to go to work. If Cyprus joins up with the Schengen countries then Turkish citizens will be able to travel to the south too.

Strawberry
We flew into Ercan on our last visit rather than a south Cyprus airport and found, despite the stopover in Turkey, the actual journey time was shorter! By the time we had landed in Larnaca, battled to get our bags, braved the traffic, driven to the border in Nicosia, crossed over and driven to Kyrenia, we easily exceeded the six hours 'flying' time.

So, we tried the Ercan route. We much preferred the wait on the tarmac in Turkey, since you could at least stand up and stretch, and the kids we saw were quite excited that they were visiting two different countries in one day (albeit a little disappointed that they couldn''t get out and see it!). We had no problems at Ercan airport, collected our car, and were relaxing in the hotel less than 70 mins later - wonderful!

BTW, British control of Cyprus did end in 1960 - spot on, Strawberry7!
Leaving Bristol at 7am tomorrow for a fortnight at the Ship Inn, Kyrenia. Enjoyed our stay last year, and will be able to answer any questions on my return, regarding this years stay.
Kedi, we have been to north cyprus quite a few times now and the longest time we had to stay in turkey was 45mins. and that was Istanbul airport. Usually if its Dalaman we have got away with 30mins.
Ian have agreat time at the Ship, we were there last september for two weeks. The a la carte menu is fine. If you fancy a change though, Out of the ship, turn right, walk along the road for about 100yds. On the otherside of the road is a bar, the entrance is lit up. Its mainly outdoors. Very friendly and great food. Kleftico is wonderful. Have a great time :tup :tup :cheers
Hi,

My wife and I are hoping to holiday in the North Cyprus in late September but we would like to fly into Larnaca. Does anyone know of a reliable person or company who would pick us up at Larnaca Airport and take us to the Merit Crystal Cove then back fouteen days later.

Additionally we would be obliged if anyone could give any advice on attempting this. (ie Would we require a Visa or might we have problems getting through from south to north.

Thanks,

Auldyin
Try stephen@kktc.net

He should be able to sort you out.
Thanks Gooligan for the reply but stephen@kktc.net is being bounced back as unable to deliver.

Auldyin
Hi Auldyin

It's not a link but an email address,try to copy and paste it or just type it out manually,dont click on it.
gooligan,

Much obliged for your effort to help, but as I said emails are being returned as 'unable to deliver'. Perhaps Stephen has stopped the taxi business, or possibly changed his email address. If so perhaps someone out there will know his new email address.

Thanks anyway,

Auldyin
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.