Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Re: Cigarettes
351 Posts
you will proberbly find the fags cheaper at the airport before departure from cyprus
I must have been unclear in what i was was asking so I will try again.

If I buy cigarettes on the plane from Doncaster to Larnaca and take them with me into Northern Cyprus will I be able to bring them back out again?
sorry maybe i was unclear... why buy them on the plane they are usualy cheaper at the airport [larnaka] on departure

wiz

postscript... if you are flying within the EU they wont be selling them on the aircraft anyway.. aircraft sales are for flights outside the eec..
I see - I didn't realise that as it's a long time since I flew within the EU. Does that mean that I won't be able to get them any cheaper in the airport in the UK either?
have always found our airport shops dearer than those abroad.... mind you haven't been to Cyprus for a few years... perhaps one of our regular travellers may know the current prices...

yasus
wizard
When I say any cheaper I mean cheaper than in the shops here.
If you are flying within the EU (which you will be flying from UK to Larnaca) you will not be allowed to buy duty free cigarettes at the airport and they will not be offered for sale on the aircraft in either direction. You will be able to purchase cigarettes in the TRNC (where they are cheaper than in the south) but I do not know whether local arrangements forbid transporting them over the border in to the south.

Cheers,
Jet
You are only allowed to take 40 cigarettes from north to south but you can buy as many as you like from Larnaca to take back to the UK.
Thanks to everyone who has replied. :thanks
Hello people! Have booked for the first time to Northern Cyprus - 2 weeks, in June, at the Almond Village. The reviews all seem positive, and it looks just the sort of place for me i.e. do not much more than relax! It seems easy to get out and about by the local bus, but is it possible to hire a little boat to go up and down the coast, or am I off the wall with this one? Any suggestions for getting around would be appreciated as, I'm sure after a week doing nothing, I'll look forward to seeing something of the North! Many thanks.
Hi shebaeileen. I'm sure you will love northern Cyprus. We will be visiting n.Cyprus in Sept. for the 7th time. We find the Turkish so friendly and the hotels are great. Haven't heard of anyone hiring a small boat but you could always enquire at the harbour at Kyrenia. You can get a boat trip from the harbour, you will be on the boat for a good few hours, swimming in the lovely clear water while the crew prepare lunch!! Do book at the quayside you get a better deal. Word of advice, June is hot, take plenty of sun screen. Have a lovely holiday :tup :cheers :sun2
Thank you for your input Majorcagirl, I appreciate it. I know it can be hot in Cyprus - have been to the South a few times, but am happy with that during the day, as long as it either goes cooler in the evening, or there's aircon in the room. Forgot to ask about the mozzi situation - is it really bad, or just bad??!! Thanks!
To be honest I'm not sure its mozzies, rather think I was bitten by a small fly!! OH wasn't bitten at all. I would recommend using lemon wipes or you can buy bottles of lemon, they usually give you some in the restaurants to apply after your meal. Failing that I would use a good anti-mozzie spray. I'm afraid I'm one of those who get bitten by anything that flies!!
bee :sun2
Apologies if this is covered in earlier posts, and may be a daft question, but can I ask what is the best currency to take with me for both day to day spending, and for any bigger item I might want to buy? I ask because I have some euros left from a previous holiday. Thanks in advance for help. Only a few weeks to go, now.......
Hi Shebaeileen.New Turkish Lira will do you also the Almond will take £stg with no problem.you can sign for everything you have and pay at the end
Its a Beautiful place to stay by the way...We where there for 16 days 3 years ago
The place is spotless,the gardens are amazing just like living in Kew Gardens
we hope to get back there....cheers
The "New" or "Yeni" was dropped 1st Jan this year. Its now just "Turkish Lira" again and the notes are different (again!) although you can still use the YTL ones this year.
Thank you both for your input. Have read you get a better rate of exchange there than here, so am just taking sterling and my remaining euros. Haven't heard anything negative about the Almond Village, so really looking forward to it. Would like to see a bit of the country, if I can muster the energy, so might hire a car during the second week. Then again, might just laze about for the two weeks....
We are going to N Cyprus, Famagusta this year after 3 years in Turkey - 2x - Olu Deniz and 1X - gulet trip.

Is there anything different about N Cyprus to Turkey about staying there?
Is it more expensive? How much is a restaurant meal?
What brochures deal with northern cyprus please, are there any out for 2010 yet, thank you.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.