Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi Scott

Have a look through the reviews HERE and weather topic HERE.

Pippy :D

Edit. I see you've already posted in that topic.
Thanks very much. I'd looked at these topics prior to posting, however i was just looking for people with first hand experience, to set my mind at rest. thank you
I went to Puerto Plata in October last year, so I won't be able to advise you concerning the weather. I would suggest checking BBC weather and/or wunderground.

Anyway, if you are still browsing hotel's I would 100% recommend the Gran Ventana. There is other thread's on the hotel, but if being beside a beach is a must, then this hotel fits that request. We walked out of our apartment and were on the beach within moments.
I've been to the DR in May and Nov/Dec and I would say there were a few more tropical showers in May than in the winter months, its also much more humid in May. That said, its also very hot, the showers in all my visits have usually been short with plenty of sunshine in between.

Being tropical, when it rains, it really does rain but in my experience its more likely to be during the night and I have never, in 10 visits to the DR lost a whole day to bad weather.

June is within the hurricane season so its down to luck I'm afraid.

I've not stayed at any of the hotels you mention but would recommend at least a 4* hotel or be prepared for things to be more basic in a 3*, personally I would still stay in some 3* as long as the food was reported as being OK, I go for the sunshine not the decor.
The Casa Marina Reef and Beach still get good reports, its been a few years but it was good when I stayed there.
HI There!

i was in the Dominican last June, we stayed for 2 weeks and returned around June 8th.

I can only speak for our experiences obviously but we only had rain once, at around 9pm for about 2 hrs.
It was fabulous weather all the time, some cloud in the afternoon but mostly sunny. The locals did comment however that they were suprised they had not had more rain by this time.

We are travelling back to Dr in 3 weeks to return to our beloved Riu Bachata!!
Each time we have been we have had a small amount of rain - it's a tropical island, after all!! It's usually at night and if it does rain in the daytime it has always passed by in an hour or so.
Obviously i'm not a weather person and can only go on our experiences!!

Hope this helps!!!
We went in February a fews years ago for 2 weeks. It started raining when we left the airport and rained every day, bar 2, from about 3pm until sometime during the night. Stayed in a 5 star hotel. Most people had rain pouring in their hotel rooms - down the walls, under the doors. Beds had to be pulled away from the walls or they got soaked! Staff came round with golf buggies to take guests to the restaurant, so that they would be reasonably dry. There were power cuts nearly every night. The Brits complained like mad, but the Americans never bothered about it! Had a great holiday tho!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.