Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Its all down to personal preferences really.
I think if you wish to go B&B then a hotel in Namma Bay like the Novotel is probably a good bet, as you can get to all the bars and restaurants easily.

As you haven't been before, feel obliged to point out though that Namma Bay isn't everybodys cup of tea, yes you will find many nice restaurants, plus shisha cafes but they are interspersed with McDonalds, TGI Fridays, Hard Rock Cafe, Pizza Hut etc & neon palm trees. :yikes not really an authentic Egyptian experience. Plus there is a bit of a hassle factor. This isn't intended to put you off just more so that you know what you are looking at really

Sorry dont now the Mamara so can't comment, do you know which bay it is in?
Sharm el Sheik stretches along 40kms of coastline so is very spread out.

Let us know what you decide, Doe
Hello Doe

Oooo thanks for your reply. On reflection, I don't think I fancy checking out those neon palm trees :que . I'm still kean on Sharm el Sheikh as I really want to do some snorkelling (havn't got the guts to go scuba diving).

I've done a google search on the Hotel Marmara. One site says that it is 10mins away from Naama Bay and 20 mins away from the airport. Another site describes the Sabena Marmara (formerly the Club Casablanca) as being on the southern tip of the Sinai Peninsula. But, as I know very little about the geographical area, I can't tell whether the 2 websites are describing the same hotel :duh . Think I will have to pop down to the local library and try and find a decent map of the area.

Would 2 females continually be hassled in an offensive way? I'm going with my sister.
Hi spangle its no 25 on the map that Lyn has put up.

I wouldn't think you would get much more hassle as two women on your own, than anyone else, but you will get some, as everyone gets hassled. Dress a bit modestly, ie linen trousers or 3/4 lenghts and light blouses, rather than mini skirts and tiny strappy tops. It's not that the later aren't worn in Sharm, they are, because at the end of the day its a tourist town, you will just attract less attention if a bit covered up. I'm sure you will be fine. Most people who go to Sharm rebook so it must have something.
Hi Spangle,

If it's good snorkelling you're after then you can't go wrong with The Sofitel. This was my first time snorkelling and I found it really easy and the amount of fish on view was fantastic. Access to the reefs is very straight-forward too. The hotel is described as 5 star (I'd say more 4 star but still a very nice hotel) and has 4 private beaches. It's also round the corner from The Hyatt which also has excellent snorkelling.

I stayed there for 7 nights on a bed and breakfast basis. Naama Bay is a 10-15 minute walk away - you do get hassled there but it's all good natured. It does get tiresome though so you have to think about what you want from your stay. Some people like the hustle and bustle...others don't. Personally I liked the peace and quiet of The Sofitel with the option of easy access to all Naama has to offer.

If you'd like more info on this hotel then let me know..I've just got back and the info is still fresh in my mind!

All the best

Neil
Thank you all very much for your input. The maps are really useful. And the dress code suits me just fine. The Sofitel sounds like a good option, as we've decided to go on BB basis, and the walk into Naama won't be daunting :D .

..... right am off to check out availability and costs. :cheers
I used the same map before I went to Sharm. The Sofitel is number 93 on the map...the next hotel along (Oonas) can be reached within a couple of minutes (just to give you an idea of distances and walking times). It's a bit misleading because it shows The Sofitel as being quite far out but it's not that great a distance. As soon as you walk down the steps you'll be on the promenade and it's plain sailing from there.

Feel free to PM me more info on this hotel if required.

Good luck with your booking. Regardless of where you end up staying you'll have a good time.

Cheers

Neil
Wey hey... am very excited! Have booked the Sofitel - it looks ideal for our needs. It worked out a little more expensive than we expected to pay (because it's during the school holidays), and we're having to fly out of EMA rather than a London airport. But, no bother, will have to learn to plan ahead in future.

Anyway, many thanks for all your help. :cheers
Hi Spangle,

Congratulations on choosing a great hotel!! I'm sure you'll have a great time. If you need any help on the Sofitel then let me know.

One tip to start you off (I'm assuming you haven't booked a package deal) - email the hotel and ask them to to pick you up from the airport. They offer a free minibus service and it saves having to worry about getting a taxi and negotiating a price after you land.

Regards

Neil
The sofitel members use the sonesta beach hotel, i recommend you pop into the Oonas dive bar they do cheap food, and do try the roof top bar and the massages they do behind the Oonas. All water in bottles is cheaper at the Oonas than on the beach at their bar. You will pay double. Very nice hotel on the hill. great views.

Michelle x

SBR queen :cheers
Hi Neil, Must admit it does feel daunting when you first arrive in a strange country, and you're immediately hassled by the locals. I like to get to my hotel, dump my luggage, put my holiday clothes, have a chill, and then I'm more mentally prepared for the onslaught of the locals :) ....so will definitely email the hotel and get them to pick us up.

Hi Michelle, Thanks for your tips. Will definitely head to the Oonas bar. I hadn't thought of Egypt as a place for a good massage - what sort of prices should we expect to pay?

Angie x
I don't know if I'm allowed to mention other sites but here goes.... ;)

I've posted a review of The Sofitel on the Tripadvisor website (complete with pics) so have a look when you get the chance.

Cheers

Neil
They do massages at the sonesta beach but under a sun umbrella, the crew who work from the hotel you will see on the beach in their glory. They also try to sell tickets for trips etc also. I never go with them, had a bad experience two years ago, so just normally go with the rep. But that aside if there are a few of you that go on trips with them, you should be ok, me and hubby were on our own.

Right the massage question, the oonas has a private garden around the back where the toliets are, i believe his name is Hassein, it costs about £10 sterling for the whole body (I think?), i havent had one done yet, but will do in June when i go back. It is done inside a gazebo, unlike the sonesta, which is up on pool side under a sun umbrella. It has a great reputation. By the way the Oonas bar is a dive centre, but everyone goes in there, they also have good accomadation. and do flights cheaper than hotels, but can use the SBR beach and facilities.

Michelle x

The Sonesta Beach Resort expert :sun2
Hi Neil. I wasn't sure whether I could mention other sites either. When you suggested the Sofitel I had a look at that very site. It's got really good reviews both on here and on "the other one" . It also has lots of information on snorkelling. Don't suppose you're allowed to mention your username on there?
Hi Michelle... well if I pluck up the courage to have one done, I'll be able to advise you!! It'll make a change for me to give out some advice, rather than receive it :)
Hi Spangle,

I have the same user name on 'the other site' - look for neil72uk in the Sofitel reviews. And don't be put off by the latest negative review posted. Someone was having a grump about air-conditioning not being available. It is available and it works just fine! :)

Neil
Hello Neil

Your review is really useful. So good that I've printed it off to take with me! Thank you.

Count down is on - yay!! :cheers
I'm well jealous!! Wish I was going back myself!

If you have any other questions just give me PM.

:)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.