Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Sharm el Sheikh
5 Posts
Most people seem to experience hot weather, blue seas, clear water, kind & helpful locals, and a desire to return...
alanwall wrote:
hot weather, blue seas, clear water, kind & helpful locals, and a desire to return...
That was my experience (at the Conrad), twice over!

Pippy :)
Hi Neil :)
As a newbie to Sharm, i will try and tell you what there is to see and do, and as everyone knows, its my pet subject and i do tend to waffle :D

I do not know where you are staying, is it in sharm itself or on the outskirts?

Naama Bay has an array of lovely hotels and different star ratings, different to what we know from home, that said the majority are beautiful and full of culture where as the Hilton, Marriott etc are the same as anywhere.
First of all if you havent done so, i advise to get up to date with all injections and take mossie spray etc with you, and preferably start taking odourless garlic caps, mossies hate smell, it secreets out of the skin.

Naama bay is an array of hotels in the desert, and loads of places to eat outside of in where the a/c is on.
Foods you can expect to eat is chicken, mince(Kofter), pork, steak, pigeon etc, you name it they have got it. There in Naama bay centre there is a Mcdonalds and burger king, hard rock cafe, an Mall to buy gifts from and also plenty of shops surrounding the outskirts of the restaurants. many places you are welcome to eat and drink in, whether alcoholic or tea/coffee, sprite etc. You can sprawl out on the cushions, have a drink and watch the world go by, also having a go on the shisha pipe is also abit of culture. I dont smoke but i have always one on the go :D
There are several supermarkets in Naama centre or just before you enter it. We usually use the one near to the Movenpick. Water to buy is a lot cheaper from supermarkets.

If you havent an adapter for your hotel room as some vary, supermarkets sell them for 50p.
Because of weight being a factor in airports, you can buy suncreams from Egypt, if you are lucky like us and buy the bogoff ones then its cheaper in the UK, but overall, about the same, and they have higher strengths out there. We often run out.Although i am middling to dark skin, i always wear factor 30, second week 25, or 20.
The climate this time of year is about the hottest, through till August it gets hotter each day, but normally there is only a couple of degrees difference between them.

Expect temperatures to be in the region of 45-55 degrees. By 8 am it is normally about 80. In F thats averaging between 120-130F. In Cairo possibly expect it to be higher.
I would personally recommend you wear beach shoes or chocs in the sea, the coral is very sharp and of course standing on it kills off the plantations etc.

There are an array of water sports on the beach, eg, pedaloes, ringos, paraguilding, the sofa and the chair, and the banana boat.

There are numerous trips out on boats to see the wonderful fish, of course scuba diving and snorkling are a must.

Other trips you can see when you are out there, or with your rep. Cairo, luxor, the nile, quad biking, water parks, camel riding, horse riding etc.
Take a little currency over there in Egyptian pounds from the UK.
Then change your UK money into Egyptian over there, you get a lot more for your money.
Tip when a service has been done, and check receipts if eating out, service charge may have already been added!

Be very vary of anyone coming up to you to sign a book, they will get you into a perfume shop and you wont get out for hours(6 hours i was in one till 2am)........dont have eye contact with anyone especially near the markets and bazaars.
If you like something offer half to start with. Out comes the calculater blah blah, walk as if going out of the shop, they soon run after you ;)
My advice also is to take out the excess waiver on your holiday insurance if you can. If you require pharaoh revenge tablets (runs and cramps), it is cheaper to go to the doctor and get the correct medication. It costs £30 if having the injection, its your choice if you want this. I have tried medications from the chemist in Sharm and i am immune now so just have the injection and it works within hours. Streptoquinn and antinal costs 50p from the Doctors where as in shops it costs more. If paying the £30, you will have an examination, injection in the bum, be given tablets and diaoraltye. You can get the money back from the insurers.

If you get the runs and cramps, keep off alcohol, keep out of the sun, drink sprite as it has lemon in it which i am told keeps the gut happy. Eat plain chicken, rice that is boiling hot (not lukewarm), fish etc. Keep off red meats as they are full of bacteria, but you can eat veg if peeled and washed. All this advice is from the Doctor not myself.
If you have to have the injection and it doesn't work first time, dont worry, they will give you another stronger, it doesnt cost any more, its with all in the price! Drinking the local mint tea is nice. I was told to not eat salads and drink the milk as it isnt pasteurized, but my hubby always eats salads and he has never been poorly. Do make sure though that milk is boiling as with nescafe which is their favourite.

Egyptians are very welcoming, friendly, and will do anything to please. It is extremely hot, so take care, and i am sure you will enjoy your holiday, and if at all possible please go on a quad bike, they are so much fun.
If there is any questions i havent answered please let me know.

I am sure it will not be the first time you go............which airport you flying from and where you staying?

Have a great time

Michelle x
sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
Hiya :wave:

Well I am not sure what I can add to that really excellent post by Michelle :tup
but will have a go.

Sharm spreads along approx 40 kilometers of red sea coast line, so some of what is accessible to you, will depend on where you are staying. Generally most hotels in Namma Bay are B&B, bars, restaurants and cafes are here & people like to take advantage of them. There are lots of Brit favorites like Hard Rock, KFC, Maccy D's plus Egyptian, Italian, Chinese etc. The list is endless.

Most hotels outside of NB are large AI's, many people who stay in these will make one of two trips to NB or Old Market for shopping, a change of scenery or a meal away from their hotel buffet.

There is another area called Old Market, prices are cheaper, there are more Egyptian restaurants & it is more authentic than NB, some people like it, others don't.

TO's offer many trips, Luxor & Cairo to see the sights. In Sharm, Quads, dessert trips, boat trips etc. If you book with locals in NB you can save serious money. One consideration may be will everything be narrated in 3 or 4 languages if you go on a trip booked in NB ? Sharm is exceptionaly popular with Russians and Italians. This is a personal decision & I wouldn't push people in either direction alot will depend on how much you wish to do and how much cash you have.

It will be very hot, so try to take a decent amount of high factor suncream with you.

Regarding money, most take a small amount of Egyptian to get them through the first day and the rest in Sterling & change it to LE when you get there, as the rate is about 10% better in Sharm. Hire your hotel safe.

Many bars and restaurants add 22% to prices. 12% service and 10% tax (or vice versa). this can come as a shock to people as it is in the small print at the bottom of menus. Don't know why it's a shock as that's where this kind of thing is put on menus all over the world :que .

People sometimes add a futher small tip. Tip in small Egyptian notes, don't tip in pound coins or worse Euro coins. Their banks will not take coins and they have to go to a middle person who takes 'commission' or beg returning Brit tourists to change them in to notes. Also you will end up over tipping.

The recommended jabs for Egypt are Hep A & Typhoid, plus the DTP we need for this country. You can get these free or for the cost of a prescription from your GP surgery. Ideally sort them out between 4 to 6 weeks prior to travel. With Hep A if you have a booster when you come back it lasts for 20 years so great if you intend going back a lot.

There is a sticky at the top of the forum with all you need to know visas.

Have a brilliant holiday, as said it will be all hot weather, blue seas, clear water and lots of fishes to see.

What hotel are you staying in ?

Doe :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.