General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
have you thought about somewhere longhaul as many good standard htls may have more than just your usual 1 restaurant some even have al la carte, when you compare what it costs to go to maybe a 4* all inc in tenerife for little more you could go further afield and get better value for your money :wink:
There is a hotel called Lykia World in Turkey which has excellent reviews both in the brochures and on the hotel reviews part of this site. It sounds absolutely fantastic with loads of pools, restaurants and bars but is quite expensive.

Bodrum WOW (world of wonders) resort in Gumbet, Turkey, is also supposed to be fabulous with an excellent choice of food and drinks.

I hope your parents get somewhere good - 40 years is quite an achievement.
Both the Iberostar and the Rui chains are of a pretty good standard - I don't think you could go far wrong if you picked one of their 4* or 5* hotels anywhere.

Don't forget you will still be talking 'mass catering' if you are staying in any hotel - so I don't understand why people come to expect gormet meals ??

We would particularly recommend the Iberostar Creta Mare or Panorama (they are run as one hotel) at Rethmynon on Crete - it is an excellent hotel and the grounds are absolutely beautiful - take a look at the reviews on here and Trip Advisor.

We are going to the Titanic at Lara Beach (Antalya - Turkey) and the reviews of that place are also superb...though a bit pricer than your average, there are still deals to be had. We did everything DIY and I think that helps if youhave kids (unless you can get free child places) - the only thing is the flight times tend not to be the best in that area of Turkey :cry:
Hi,

I am suggesting this just as it is a bit different and peaceful.

I don't know if I am on the right track for you but a few years ago I went to Comino island (inbetween Malta & Gozo) I thought it was fab there (I did put reviews on it - I had a different user name that I lost the log in for = Holiday Queen), well I thought this place was quite fab.

A little island with lovely views, the all inclusive package was really tasty, the staff were really good, there were some odd things to do if you want it - eg, sailing, tennis and the hotel has a boat (free of charge to guests) so you can pop over to Malta or Gozo any time for either your own little outings to explore or for a change or scenery do organised trips. The island is only about 2 miles wide with only the hotel and bungalows on it in seperate bays but also the famous blue lagoon, but it was a joy just to have some peace and quiet and just do what you wanted to do at your own pace. (my parents also went there on my recommendation they year after and so enjoyed it)

Thomson used to go there on an AI basis but don't any more. Bellair do and give you the option of the hotel or bungalows. I would say the hotel and to take the AI option. It is a lovely little place and so pretty and natural. Even though it is quite remote I was not bored in the slightest for 2 weeks twice! (First time was in July and second was mid September so the weather was better on the July visit).

Other guests there had been to the carribean and exotic places etc and found Comino much nicer for the fraction of the price.
Many thanks for the replies.

Don't forget you will still be talking 'mass catering' if you are staying in any hotel - so I don't understand why people come to expect gormet meals ??

Yes, that's the problem! I was hoping there might be one or two AI resorts that would have distinctly superior, non-mass-catering food as their USP - too much of a niche market maybe. I'll have a bit more of a think about things I guess.

All replies much appreciated though, thanks for taking the time.
Hi just a thought but would it give you more options if you looked at Full Board rather than AI - there seem to be alot of Full Board hotels with a la carte dining.... perhaps if you wanted to pay for 'everything' you could contact the hotel directly and give your card details for them to bill you at the end rather than your parents...... just a thought.....
Thanks msc1977, I hadn't thought of that, will look into it. My parents are retired and while their income is adequate for their needs they don't have a huge amount left over, so I would feel most comfortable finding a way to cover the costs myself without making them feel they need to be "frugal" - I want them to feel they can have anything they want, which is why I initially thought of AI. Full board sounds like an option (and they are unlikely to want to avail themselves of many of the other things included in AIs - nice long walks and ambling through villages and markets are free whether AI or not, after all!)

No massive hurry to get anything sorted out anyway, so I'll start looking at full board - thanks for the suggestion.
rotixan, Two years ago when we had our 40th we went on a cruise and it was the best holiday Ever. we usually go three or four times a year on holiday. Have been AI and HB but must say the cruise was the best ever and we hope to go again next year. you can have a choice of dining.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.