Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Thanks for the update

Just curious as to whether the prices you mention would differ in Sunny Beach? The costs you detailed above seem to be getting very close to prices in the UK which is a bit of a blow
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the update - I'll stick to having my haircuts in Dobrich @ 4.50 Leva ;)
My grass was brown for most of last summer and the previous summer because of the lack of rain (hopefully I'll get some goats in to reduce the scythe work!) - the only Ivan that I used to know in the village was a nice chap, a Bulgarian police pensioner, who unfortunately passed away a couple of years ago.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Baldur
Thanks for the update Tonyt. It is so sad for the people that rely on the summer season for good wages etc that things are so bad. Friends told us 2 years ago that the gypsies and market were going to be moved so interesting to see that they have made a start, not sure where the displaced people have gone though, some BG friends maintained they should be taken to the centre of the country or even out of it..... but I am sure you are well aware of the animosity towards the gypsies in BG. I will not be in BG until 5th August, far too long to wait but needs must etc, will visit Albena to see if trade has picked up in August, if it has not then not sure what will happen for the locals who rely on the seasonal work. Nels
update part two.
further to my first report,after a meeting between, Police Hoteliers, and travel companies, two of the three (free) Igloo toilets have now reopened. At the time of my leaving yesterday there were only 14 Hotels open and as from today for four days, there was the International Horse Show going on also the workers union games involving 12 countries, the Hotel I was staying in was doing around 100 breakfast's instead of 500, evening meals 150 instead of 600. Taxi Drivers are offering 20% discount to try and get some earnings. My friend had done 1 trip earning 60 lev, this being on his stand from 7am to 12pm each of Sat,Sun,Mon,Tues,
La Bomba Bar on Beach Kavarma 14.99 with free 300mls beer.
Natsha's opp Bazaar, Half a roasted chicken 8.99 take away
Many places now doing Coffee and Pancake 5.00
also Mousakka with free 300 mls beer 11.50
Internet Cards. 7 lev 1 Hour. 20 lev for 5 hours.
Wi-Fi Cards were so expensive, did not want to spoil Baldurs trip
Now for trips run by Balkan Holidays with a comparison price for a private company of which I have tel no if you p.m for it.
Balchik and Kaliakra 61 Lev....................................30Lev
Balkan Fiesta (Eve) 65 Lev
Bulgarian Wedding (eve) 72 Lev
Danube Trip 95 Lev .............................................76Lev
Jeep Safari 90 Lev...............................................55Lev
Nessebar 70 Lev.................................................40Lev
Back to the past (Aft) 53Lev
Romania. 96Lev....................................................55Lev
Bulgarian Village incl Stone forest, Village of Venelin,meal, drinks
distillery, Bee Garden, then Kamchia and boat
trip on River. 9am to 6pm all paid for 60Lev.
Veliko Tarnovo ......................................................70Lev
Fishing Trip............................................................46Lev.
The last 3 Trips are only with the Private company.
BALKAN HOLIDAYS, do not believe what they tell you about transfer times. ie Brochure states 45 mins Albena to Airport, yesterday I spent 1Hour 50 mins in intense heat going from resort to resort collecting passengers, not a rep at any of the Hotels and not even one at Varna Airport on Departure, very nerve racking for 1st timers. and the vows of never again were heard, even the people we picked up from Peter of Yorks Hotel in Varna. Hope the above has helped, fire away with your questions. I will say the food in my Hotel was so Great I did not bother to eat out at night, always plenty of choice, well presented and always HOT. Cheers. Tonyt.

Sorry forgot to add information for walkers, you can now walk to Kranevo without going through the water, they have built a bridge over stream, word of warning, unplaned 4 x 2 timber used, plenty of splinters, 100 yards further on a look out tower has been built, 6 tiers, again be wary, although metal frame, woodwork leaves a lot to be desired for. two steps already broken and handrail on fifth flight very dodgy.
Now going the other way, you can walk all the way to Balchik now (or cycle) It is 9 klms and it took me 1hour 45 mins on Sunday. If you walk it on a sunny day, make sure you have some shades, as the reflection from the new white concrete and sea walls is hard on the eyes. No motorised vehicles allowed on this new stretch. Tonyt.
  • Edited by Tonyt 2009-06-12 06:41:08
Great to hear you had a good time Tony The up dates are great :cheers :tup June
June, Thanks, sorry to say very negative reports from clients picked up at three different Hotels In Golden Sands yesterday, I have not stayed there, so cannot really quote. Tonyt
Going in three weeks time to the Shipka this year Tony ,but will make the best of it June :sun2
Hi Tony,

Many thanks for another comprehensive update!

Wi-Fi Cards were so expensive, did not want to spoil Baldurs trip

You should know me by now - you coudn't spoil my sojourn in 'Zlatna Dobrudzha' if you told me that they cost 5,000 Leva each.

I haven't bothered with the WiFi cards in Albena since 2007, when they were 5 Leva a pop (and only then before I discovered the free WiFi access in the now-extinct Peter's House) - my spend on accessing the 'net last year averaged around 80 Stotinki per session, using the internet club near 'Neshtoto'/'Central Cafe' in Dobrich (1 Lev per hour with a minimum charge of 50 Stotinki per session). ;)
Baldur
Hi hazy,

Just noticed your price query - there have been several Sunny Beach price reports over the past week or so, if you check recent threads (e.g. mcfester's post of 10th June and mammabear's post of 11th June).

Albena is a much smaller and, in most ways, more strictly managed resort - prices tend to be among the highest of the Bulgarian coastal resorts as its management company, Albena AD, aspires to a 'higher class' of tourist (whatever that may be).

Baldur
saw those Baldur so thanks again

We leave tomorrow, and am grateful for all the reassurances i've got from you and others on the site so am really looking forward to it now. Hotel Korona here we come!

I''ll be sure to post back on here when i return :sun2
We leave tomorrow

Have a great holiday!
Thanks for the update Tonyt, we're staying in the Hotel Magnolia from August 7th, did you notice anything about it?
Also what were the average prices for beer and soft drinks in the bars/restaurants around Albena?
Cheers,
Toffeeboy.
toffeeboy, the Magnolia was just opening last week, I do know that a couple refused to go in, reason, I do not know. It is placed at the very top of the resort and you will need the noddy train to get into centre and back 2.5 lev each way per person, could put a drain on your expenses if you are a family. I am a non drinker but noticed beer at 4 Lev, but if you go past the Arabella it becomes cheaper. 500 mls Fanta was again 4 lev in centre but cheaper, outside of area. Tonyt.
Thanks for that, i think i'll get the noddy bus, my missus and daughter can walk, save a bit of cash over the 2 weeks!
Toff
Hi TonyT

We are going to the Hotel Gregana on 25th July
Any thoughts/opinions on the hotel?
Can you still go horseriding in Albena?

Thanks

Sarah
Hi Sarah. Gergana is placed at the very end of resort, a 15 minute amble into centre, very impressed with inside decor (although never stayed there). I would want a sea view, as the rear overlooks the nature reserve and unless you are at least five floors up the view is of trees along the river. you will now be able to walk to Kranovo in the same time, as there is a bridge over river. Yes there is still Horse Riding from the Stables on the way to Bus Station. Caribi Bar just along from Gergana, no longer has the support that it had a few years back. Cheers Tonyt
Hi Sarah

We stayed at the Gergana 3 years ago and friends stayed last year, it is fine, some of the rooms were smaller than ours but all very clean etc, we only had breakfast but I believe the A/I was good last year according to friends. I did post a review about it but it was 3 years ago as I said.

Hope that helps, have a good time I have to wait until the 5th August :cry

Nels
Thanks guys

Really looking forward to going. Its a real big family outing to celebrate my parents 70th birthdays so we're all so looking forward to it

We have booked all sea view rooms, so sounds good

Sarah
We stayed at the Gergana last year and thought it was a lovely hotel. It was the Gergana complex last year made up of 3 hotels and we stayed in the middle one - don't know if it's the same set up this year. The rooms had all been refurbished and were really nice. The views from the sea view rooms were worth paying a little extra for. The only complaint we had was that the food did seem to deteriorate towards the end of the week though it was coming to the end of the season. The food in the first hotel was much better but we weren't allowed to eat in that restaurant. You could however use the bars of the other 2 hotels. The pool area is lovely as are the reception and lobby areas and staff were very friendly, the amination team were great. For me the best bit was the setting right on the lovely beach.
Hope you have a good holiday.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.