Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
ALDI Travel
23 Posts
Knowing people (even related to one!) shop at Aldi using old Waitrose and Sainsbury bags in case the neighbours see them unload the car, can we now expect them to book Aldi holidays and use old Kuoni luggage tags??
I cant wait! I shop at Lidl and Aldi and if they are good enough for the Germans ,who demand high standards,they are good enough for me :rofl
I was surprised when visiting Germany this year,that they are the only supermarkets there along with Netto.!
No Sainsburys,Tesco or Asda!
Unfortunately we don't have any of the British supermarkets here in Germany. I would love to be able to do my shopping in Sainsburys, Asda or Tesco. If you ask any expat what they miss about the UK, the supermarkets are always high on the list. We do have lots of other supermarkets though, Real, Sky, Kaufland, Marktkauf, Plus and Norma to name a few.

Judith
On Holiday Group Direct Ltd

ABTA Number: L3315 & Y0446

Address:
7 Magellan Terrace
Gatwick Road
Crawley
West Sussex
RH10 9PJ

Telephone: 0870 167 1020

Fax: 0870 167 1021

Also trading as: Fresh Holidays, Aldi Travel, Flight.co.uk
That will be this company then - http://www.onholidaygroup.com/?packagetype=DP

An interesting statement at the bottom of the page regarding flights, accommodation and transfers bought via them not forming part of a package and thus not ATOL protected :think I think they might be wrong there.
I shop at Aldi and I use old Sainsbury's and Waitrose bags. Obviously steve 8482 does not use Aldi or he would know that is the system there. They charge for carrier bags to encourage you to re-use old ones and save the planet. It is nothing to do with being ashamed! For heaven's sake!

I hadn't heard about them launching a travel service. That's interesting.
Kiltman-Graham et al,

they are using the same "get out" clause as Travel republic and others who offer "dynamic" bookings. However, TR are in hot water over this following the demise of XL so the claim that ATOL protection is not required for this sort of booking is yet to be conclusively decided.
By digging deeper, the "On Holiday Group" do offer "traditional" ATOL protected package holidays via their freshholidays.com subsidiary. Whether the new ALSI travel service will be "dynamic" or "traditional" is unclear - as is the law!

Cheers,
Jet
MehMeh

You've not met my sister-in-law!! And she isn't alone.

And i am frequent shopper at Aldi, especially for the wheat beer!

Steve
Aldi do not have an ATOL to sell air holidays by the looks of it.

So they are either
1. Selling components (split-packaging), not covered by ATOL (like Travel Republic and OTB).
2. Or maybe selling as an non-ATOL agent, holiday packages from an ATOL Tour Operator. Which I doubt.

Who knows? Of it's not clear, ask yourself why? Just because ALDI are a big chain store doesn't mean a thing in my books. After all, Woolworths has been around for much longer and what has happened to them was a surprise!
This company seems to be using Supplier Failure Insurance to get around being fully ATOL bonded - the insurance they offer having looked at their wording appears useless. Apart from a £50 excess per person, the policy has a 7 day insurers cancellation clause which means they could just come off cover at the first sniff of financial problems plus if you claim you have to get 'written' confirmation from the liquidator which could take months if anything at all. The insurance is a good idea but this policy must be breaching some kind of unfair laws in insurance.
Where have you found the policy? Can you post a link so we can all see it ?

Alice - Part answer to what they are going to do is here http://publishing.yudu.com/Freedom/Avkpx/TTG141108/resources/11.htm but only mentions hotels not flights. They appear to be fronting other companies in the same way other supermarkets offer insurance etc. but when you look into it the policy is with someone like Axa. My mobile phone says I'm on Asda Mobile but I know it's really a Vodafone service. So the new question is - who are On Holiday Group and Eurotours International?
euro tours is a malta based company

on holiday group is based in Crawley west sussex

wiz
I see that it is now available - ABTA registered and Supplier Failure Cover.

http://www.alditravel.co.uk/faqs.php#sfc

A qucik check did not come up with a better price for my choices.

fwh
I looked at the aldi website, tried to check out prices for a break in Prague, every date I tried they said not available, no way to find out any timetable for flights, felt I was wasting my time.
Tried searching for a package earlier and I had to pick my accomodation and whether I wanted airport transfers even before I had the option to search for flights. They even asked for passengers info, so I couldn't be bothered to fill all that in even before knowing that there was a suitable flight. Did I do something wrong? :que
I did the same Shirley and put in passenger details, no choice of flights came up.
It confirmed the accommodation price and wanted payment, but it did not include flights. I didn't complete the booking.
are you doing it right???? :duh just had a go to search for a greek holiday and it gave plenty of options :tup you MUST click the box which sayes hotel and flight then it will bring up a search box... :think dont forget they dont include transfers :que
:whoops Thanks Wizard. You were right. I just filled in the search panel without checking what options were highlighted at the top. When I checked again I noticed that I should have clicked Hotel and Flight.
I too have read the Supplier Failure Insurance which Aldi offer, and have created a topic in DIY holidays.
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=130559

I looks to me like it's not worth much. If there is a supplier failure you are expected to claim via other routes first. Mainly the CAA (ATOL) or your credit card/debit card then any holiday insurance policy and finally look to their Supplier Failure Cover.

This is what the policy says:

Post edited for copyright reasons, as material from other websites may not be reproduced without permission. A weblink to the relevant page may be provided as an alternative.
David HT Mod
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.