Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
This might be of interest to you but I was in a similar situation with Virgin Holidays before about a hotel we previously stayed in. Recent reviews told me that service had allegedly gone downhill badly at this hotel and I was concerned about the forthcoming holiday.

I contacted Virgin and expressed my concerns pointing them to these bad reviews and how it could affect my holiday which in turn would lead to me seeking compensation from Virgin due to their prior knowledge of these happenings at the hotel.

Virgin Holidays replied and offered me to change hotel free of charge with any difference of price either being refunded or me having to pay.

I ultimately didn't take them up on this offer and took a chance visiting the hotel and it all turned out to be OK.

So, perhaps pointing Virgin Holidays out to the fact that this hotel may not be fully functional by the time you take your holiday and rather then them having to have a lawsuit against them, they may also offer you a change of booking free of charge.

Perhaps something to think about?

Mark :)
Hi Mark

Your suggestion is certainly worth thinking about. I will be keeping a very close eye on the situation and if the hotel is not open by 1st May as they are claiming then I will be onto their customer services.

thanks again

keanda
Hi, have you seen the updated photos on TA, under the Barbados forum? People going in June are currently being moved to ABV! I still believe they will be open by the time we go in Aug....
Hi Rachie-M

I have just come off the TA forum and see that the lady booked for the 1st June has already been notified about the move to ABV. We are due to go at the end of June but the photos certainly don't look as though it will be ready. I will be watching very closely and will wait and see how she gets on in the next few days.

keanda
I am in exactly the same situation as you. I am going to the Casuarina on the 30th June for a Honeymoon and I am totally unsure of what to do. I have just phoned our travel agent who has said that people are being moved who are due to go their in March and April, but no mention of May and June.

What can I do?

Oh my god, I feel sick. I have just seen some photos of the hotel....
Hi Keanda - sorry not had access to PC for a few days hence late response.
If you come out of Barbados Beach Club onto the beach and turn right, walk over and across the little picket fence path on the headland bit onto next strech of beach the place on the right with swim up bar is Bougainvillea, next door, which was under construction last year when we were there is a new block of condos. Walk about another five mins along the beach and Casuarina is the next place along before you get to the cut through path which cuts through to the back gap road. Hope that is understsndable for you. Also if you walked the roads into the gap, when you get to Luigi's on the right the Casuarina is just oppostie on the left hand side of the road.
Cj...depending on what you want...but
My friends were at the Almond beach club and loved it, we have been to the ABV and it was our best holiday ever!!
If you are going just for the beach, I think Dover beach is the best. The ABV is out in the sticks, but this didn't worry us. The restaurants were like an all night affair there.
We are booked at the Casuarina at end of Aug, and I would be delighted to be transferred to ABV (as we have kids) my worst fear is that we end up in a middle of a building site!! Saying that I've always found the Almond resort managers more than accomodating, so if you were unhappy I think they would move you.
Hi all I booked my holiday to the Almond Casuarina resort 2 weeks ago. I picked it as its right next to St Lawrence gap. My boyfriend and I want a lively holiday and we were told that St Lawrence gap has clubs. I love the look of the hotel and the write up. I was dismayed to read about the problems on this site. I booked with Thomas Cook (Virgin Holidays) I was told nothing about the fact that the hotel is not open yet or that its running late! I e-mailed the Almond Casuarina and they have come back saying that it will open May 1st. Thomas Cook have told me to ring them and they will find out exactly where the building works at if I ring back in May. I think its a disgrace that any holiday company is allowed to sell somthing that is not completed!!!!
I only booked mine last week, I wasn't informed either, but had previous seen this thread, so I knew the score!! When do you go?
Im not going till September 7th but by the looks of them pics on TA it wont be ready for months! Im going to wait until May and get Thomas Cook to make some calls. I want their assurance that no building work is taking place. I wonder what pool the Almond website is using for the photograph on their website!!! surely that is false advertising!!!!
How can Virgin continue to sell this holiday knowing that photos on their website are false?
According to another forum the hotel is now opening 1st June.... I can't see it happening.
Do I assume that I will be offered the ABV?
Yes, I emailed Almond resorts directly...They email back to say we would be offered ABV if we had kids or the choice of ABV or the Club if we had no kids
Hi
I am booked for this hotel 1st June.
Informed by my travel agent that I am being transfered to Almond Beach Village. The contract I have is with Virgin and not Almond so I should not be restricted to this hotel. Virgin have a hotel next door to Casuarina, Turtle beach that is the same 4* all inc as I booked in the same area, So why do I have to accept being moved to the other end of Barbados!
This hotel has been miss-sold as the hotel has been closed for over 2 years. Virgin should have informed the customer at the time of booking about the ongoing situation. :que
Hi Blue Heather

Thanks for letting me know where the hotel is located, my husband recalls walking past it but I hadn't paid much attention. It will be in an ideal location when it eventually opens.

Stars,
We are travelling at the end of June and have therefore been keeping an eye on this forum but also on the TA forum. I read a post on the other forum but I do not know if I have misundertood it, you might be able to clarify it for me if you don't mind. It said that Virgin are offering either a change of accommodation to either ABV or ABC or a refund to people who are booked to go on holiday up until 31/5/2008. People booked from the 1st June onwards are only being offered a change of accommodation to the ABV or ABC at this stage, but cannot be offered a refund because technically they are still claiming that the 1st of June is the opening date and they therefore have to wait until the opening date is changed yet again before being entitled to a refund? As I have already said I may have misunderstood the post so hopefully you will be able to clarify it for me.
I also spoke to someone from Virgin last week about something else, but I did ask her about the official opening date which at that point she told me 1st May. She said that people booked to travel in April/May were being notified by the HOTEL about the change of accommodation.
I totally agree with you that the contract is with Virgin and not Almond and you have got to wonder how Virgin are getting away with misselling this hotel for 2 years.

keanda
All I can tell you is my situation.
I bullied my travel agent into contacting Virgin on the grounds that Virgin would not discuss anything with me. My travel agent rang me back to say that my booking was being changed to the ABV, I protested and after agreeing that it was a major change said she would get an administrator to phone Virgin back to ask for the south. This was without any joy. Her return call stated that this was the only offer on the table and cancellation charges would be applicable.
I did take the advise from this site, I told the travel agent to put it on record that if I accept this change it is under duress!
and after agreeing that it was a major change said she would get an administrator to phone Virgin back to ask for the south. This was without any joy. Her return call stated that this was the only offer on the table and cancellation charges would be applicable.

If it is accepted to be a major change you're entitled to a FULL refund of your monies. Explain that to Virgin and advise them that you will take that option and take your custom elsewhere unless they book you in the hotel YOU wish to stay in with - of course - any difference in price being refunded or being paid.

Don't let Virgin or the Almond Group of Companies in Barbados bully you into anything. If necessary, contact travel solicitor Ros Fernihough for free advice.

Hi Mark
Are you saying that I should pay the extra for the change?
Package Travel regulations state that if a change is made: it should be of equivilent or superior travel arrangements.
This was not my gamble on the hotel being open on time, it was Virgin Holiday's. If they were miss informed by Almond that is a case for them.
But I booked with Virgin and not Almond so I should not be limited to the Almond group for relocation!
I do not want a refund as I got a good deal at the time of booking, all I want is a trouble free holiday in the South of Barbados!
If I were in your position I would push Virgin to an equivalent hotel in the south of Barbados as you choose that area as it is - for example - conveniently close to the airport and the amentities of St. Lawrence Gap. Either of the other Almond hotels are far away from the airport and nowhere near the entertainment centre of "The Gap" of Barbados.

The Turtle Beach hotel would fit the bill, but expect Virgin to go back to you and advice you it is fully booked. This may apply to any other hotel you wish to stay at that is more expensive. They may offer "Escape at the Gap" which you may wish to consider. It is not a bad hotel and you would be entitled to some monies back as it is cheaper.

At the end of the day, Virgin can legally get away with it. They may well use any trick in the book. It is up to you to make them do this differently.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.