Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
If the hotel is open and we indeed are greeted with some 'teething problems', what right do we as consumers have to claim compensation from Virgin (or whomever your tour operator is) on our return. I gather we should collect as much evidence as possible, but what else should we/can we do?
I for one am very unhappy that I was sold a holiday to somewhere 'newly refurbished' that hasn't actually been built yet. Anyone who has booked through Virgin will testify that nowhere on the pictures in the brochure/website mentions artist impressions rather than genuine photos.
Hi CJ

Have a look at the Trading Standards website

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/ -

There is a section on the site for consumer advice and that deals specifically with holidays, it covers advice on making complaints and gathering evidence etc.

What I can't understand is how Virgin have been getting away with this legally for such a long time. We too booked with Virgin and from the website, brochure etc you are under the impression that the hotel is up and running, and that they have awards. Again I had a look at the Trading Standards website and there is a bit about the Trade Descriptions Act 1968, it mentions that the law says that statements about provision of services, accommodation and facilities should be truthful. Well the pictures are not of the hotel, there is no mention that it is the old Casuarina or an artists drawing etc. Legally though I am sure Virgin will have covered themselves somehow in the terms and conditions or they would not have got away with treating people in this way. I am assuming that people will have already contacted Trading Standards given that it has been going on for such a long time now?

Also Mark suggested that I contact Ros Fernihough office with regard to free legal advice and I spoke to her PA, she did give me advice on my rights and gathering evidence so that we could take the matter further should the situation arise. I posted the general points that she told me but you would certainly get a lot more information by telephoning her. Also have a look on this site at the holiday advice and holiday complaints section in case there is any more information.

Ros has offered our members free impartial legal advice. Please note that Ros does not read or post on this board any contact to her must be made via :-

Tel :- 01922 621114

As Crocket mentioned many people found themselves in this situation last year and it was a case of take the ABV or ABC or pay extra. Customer satisfaction and return business cannot be that important to Virgin if they are continuing to treat customers in this manner.

keanda

I myself am waiting to see what happens, but this experience has certainly put me off booking any future vacations with Virgin.

kean
Perhaps more people in this situation should complain to Trading Standards (I have).
If we do not stand up to Virgin on this it will happen to someone else next year at another hotel. I have gone through a lot of stress and heartache over this situation, I wouldn't want anyone else to have to go through it because I and many others kept quiet.
A group claim against Virgin may be the answer!
Hi Stars

What advice did trading standards give? Did they think that if enough people complained then something could be done about it being missold to other people?

I have checked on another forum and there is a lady in the same situation travelling 1st June, she said she has tried various modes of complaint but it seems Virgin have it all covered according to her. Like yourself she to made the suggestion that if enough people got together and complained as a group and perhaps sought out legal advice then maybe Virgin might take heed and it may prevent someone else going through this.

keanda
Our travel agent assures me that the Hotel WILL be open on time for Virgin customers travelling in June.
I just can't help but feel pessemistic.

On a side note, has anyone been to the Cliff? How much of a hole in my pocket is a meal for two there going to make?!
They have a set price for a 2 or 3 course dinner. Wine is additional to this.

They used to quote their prices on their website but stopped doing so. Last time (2006) me and the missus spend an excellent evening there, the bill came to about £ 175.00

Mark :)
cj190782.
They will have to work alot faster than when I checked 1 week ago if they are to open in June. (my opinion only).None of the roads into the hotel have been started on, the gate houses not fully completed, I didnt see any windows fitted in the building.
I am still booked into tha Almond Casuarina Beach, not the ABV as was told by my travel agent for 1st June.
I tried to chase the new changed invoice up so I could send it to ABTA with my complaint. But suprise suprise Virgin are now saying that they did'nt tell Co-op travel that we were to change hotel. Virgin state the Almond Casuarina will be open on time!
The lady at Co-op travel said " Virgin said where did you get that information from, the Almond Casuarina will be open by the date of travel, the Co-op travel agent replied - from you direct.
Does any-one know what is going on!!
I am with co-op travel and have paid the rest of the monies today (i don't want to lose the honeymoon!), we were told that Virgin have told them that they will be open for 1st June as planned.

Hmmm.....
Hi

I've been going between this forum and another one. There are some pictures on the other forum but one of the ladies living in Barbados went down very recently and took some more photos but as yet they have not appeared on the forum. She kindly e-mailed them to myself and I think they show a bit more of the development than the previous photos that I have seen. I am not very technical on the computor but if anyone is interested they can contact me and I will try my best to e-mail them.

keanda
I have just joined this forum - I am gutted to see this info about the holiday. I booked for this hotel with my 3 & 5 year old children for 22nd june and I am not willing to take any chances, so I will be contacting Virgin first thing tomorrow.

Just wondered if you could email me the pics you received from the lady that lives in barbados.

**Edit to remove email address (as per T&Cs) to prevent you being bombarded with spam! If anyone can assist please send a PM to this member. Thanks Pippy**
Thanks For all your help on this forum

:que
Hi Morganace

I've e-mailed the pictures to you, if there are any problems receiving them let me know.

keanda
Hi Keanda

Would it be at all possible to send me the photos too? **Edit to remove email address as per T&Cs. Pippy**

Thanks

Kind Regards

Vix_xi ;-)
Whatever you do, don't believe anything the travel agents or tour operators tell you. In my experience they are the last to know what's going on, in fact I found I was keeping Airtours in the picture, rather than the other way round (ditto people booked with Virgin). Bear in mind also, that the opening date for the Casuarina has changed 7 or 8 times now. I think the only people who know the opening date for sure, are the construction contractors.

Best sources of info are this web site and the Tripadvisor forums. I also found Almond UK quite useful (phoning was better than e-mailing) and Scott Bulger at Almond's Tampa office was very helpful, in fact it was he who confirmed we would definitely be transferred to the ABV. At that point I relaxed a little, at least knowing we had somewhere to stay !!
  • Edited by Crockett 2008-03-29 17:09:41
Hi Crockett

When were you due to go?? My family are due to go in June 22nd I am holding on the phone now with virgin who are clueless-so I am trying to change to turtle beach at their cost, been on hold for 45mins now

Thank you
We went last April 2007. Yes, it's been a long, long saga !!

Good luck with getting them to change you to the TB at their expense. As I mentioned before, many people have tried this and I don't know of any who did it without having to pay the extra themselves.
To all members! Please do not post your email addresses on the forum!

It is against the T&Cs of the forum and will result in you being bombarded with spam!

Anyone wanting to receive these photos, please either send Keanda a PM or, for newer members who don't have a sufficient post count to enable them to use the PM facility, please post on the forum and ask Keanda to PM you.

Once you've received a PM you will then be able to reply.

No more email addresses to be posted please!

Thank you!

Pippy :)
Hi

Ive just booked for the Almond Casuarina yesterday but not due to go until 7th September, hopefully I will know more over the next few months from some of you going out there sooner, and some friends I have over there.

Ive been going to Barbados for the last 7 years and have stayed all over the island, The Casuarina has been under development for nearly 3 years now as my mum got married in the Turtle Beach in Sept 2005 and it was closed then and had been for some time.

I have been back 5 times since then and even though work is going on in the complex, the time delays are very inconvenient to people and have met many people over there who were meant to stay in the Almond Casuarina but were moved to alternative accommodation.

I have some friends over there who tell me the work is starting to be done quicker and the watersports guy's at the Turtle Beach have signed contracts to do the watersports at the Almond casuarina aswell so many people relying on this work being completed quickly.

The reason I booked to go here was that First Choice have now pulled out of flying to Barbados and was meant to be staying at Tropical escape on the west coast for a change, however when we got a refund of monies paid and looked at other hotels with Virgin as they seem to be the main tour operator now I could not believe how much in price many of the hotels and flights had gone up.

As someone mentioned before going All inclusive is not necessary for Barbados due to the number of great restaurants and bars where food is relatively cheap.
Anyone going soon who wants to be in St Lawrence gap and have the All inclusive my recommendations would be to try to get in:
Escape at the Gap
Sandy bay Beach Club
Turtle Beach
or to take the option to go to the West Coast in the other Almond Beach hotels but it is further out and will cost you taxi fares or bus fares to get into the Gap and the nightlife!

Good luck to all who are going, and keep everyone posted on current news.
Regards Caroline
Travel Weekly posted an article on 27th March saying that the Almond Casuarina Beach will be open on the 1st May, 08. But reports on trip advisor say that it will not be ready by then.
The hotel according to Travel Weekly closed June, 05.
Three years is a long time for refurbishment!!! LOL
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.