Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Virgin have just phoned to say that they are not sending Virgin customers until Aug,08. She would'nt say where I would be going, I have to wait for the letter. But they are only sending letters out to people traveling in April at the moment.
That is not an answer that I would accept from them. I would insist on knowing what arrangements they have made for the holiday that you have booked and in effect paid for. What if the accommodation offered is not suitable? Better knowing about it now then later when you don't have a chance of booking another hotel.

I would not accept their rather lack of customer services and would do all possible to make them do something you want to do as a customer.

Mark :)
Mark

I can only say that getting any response from Virgin is an absolute nightmare and it is an impossibility to get anything in writing. When you send recorded delivery letters, yes you get a response but a basic general one saying they will look into it and will respond within 28 days in line with ABTA code of conduct. When phoning we are being kept on hold whilst they check out things (premium rate numbers) and no-one gives the same answer, some are saying it will now open in August but others are saying it will be open in May. People are being told on the phone by Virgin that they will be moved to ABV or ABC only to find out days later when having to phone again for confirmation that they no nothing about a move - "who told you that"
Almond are also sticking to there claims that the resort will be open on 1st May - "if not before that date" and all facilities will be open and no building works will be ongoing (that was the reply I was given this morning). I've seen the photos taken a few weeks ago and have had replies to posts from people who are just back from Barbados saying it is nowhere near completion and is a building site. It is increasingly difficult to do anything until we are officially told in writing, we cannot get a refund until we are officially told in writing and I can only repeat what I have read elsewhere and that is that people due to travel in April are only being told at the moment leaving absolutely no time to get a refund let alone be able to book another holiday.

Anyone thinking of booking with Virgin or Almond Resorts should give some serious thought to it before parting with hard earned cash, because in my opinion they do not care about there customer care or satisfaction and once they have your cash then its tough luck.
Keanda,

Unfortunately that appears to be a sad reflection on the level of customer services both Almond Resorts and - in this case - Virgin Holidays are displaying to their customers.

I just tried to dummy book a holiday to the Almond Cassuarina hotel on Virgin's website and it is telling me that the hotel is not available trying random dates upto and including July of this year. Selecting a date in August will allow me to proceed with a booking.

Perhaps this is an indication by Virgin Holidays that they're not confident about the opening date of this hotel too now and that they're at least not taking monies for a hotel they may very well know is not going to be open.

I know that it doesn't help your predicament but at least others trying to book this hotel before August will not be in the very same situation you find yourself in.

Please keep us posted on how you get on.

Virgin Holidays have put a post on both TA and Sutori about the current situation.
I hope this is genuine and not some smart ar** (person).
They say the brochure is being altered and so is the web site, but as yet the web site is unchanged.
Just thought I'd update the situation. Almond Casuarina was due to open on the 1st May with a soft opening. I've seen a few recent reviews in for the hotel now and although there is still building work going on and the beach front accommodation is still not complete, it is at least open. Virgin sent out a Health and Safety team around mid May. We were told that all going well Virgin customers would be going in from the 1/7. Our final balance was due in May but we held it off for a day or so and were told that everything should be alright and they could not see a problem at that stage with us going in 1 day early from 30/6. We also were given quotes for turtle beach at an additional £400 at that stage. Anyway 2 weeks later the letter arrived informing us that we were to be sent to the Almond Beach Village on the West Coast, they were not prepared to allow us into the hotel early even if we had signed a disclaimer. I spoke to a different member of the customer service team for a costing on moving to Turtle Beach - she came back with £9000 more (she priced a 1 bed apartment instead of 2 rooms, also the price quoted for 2 rooms was much more expensive than if we done it ourselves on the internet, asked her to price specific sc accommodation only to be told it was not available even though I could do it myself online,(I think they were trying to put us off and for us just to accept what they were offering.) I was also told that as we had been given early booking discounts on the initial holiday that we were not entitled to them again. We did eventually get to speak to the original guy who told me the lady was new and he could still do Turtle Beach at the original additional costing and the early booking discount still applied. After spending many hours on hold waiting to speak to people (1 call I had to hold for 1 hour 35 minutes) and given the level of poor customer service (with the exception of the guy) we decided to cancel our holiday. It took nearly 3 weeks to be re-embursed and I had to call to push for that.
I believe Virgin are sending out another health and safety team on the 15/6 to assess the situation further. The hotel sounds as though it will be very nice though once finally open.
Personally I found Virgin an appalling company with very poor customer service.

keanda
Thanks for the update.

Sometimes walking away and giving your money to other companies is the best course of action. When it hits their pocket they may take notice.

We have used Virgin Holidays many a time and always found them to be OK to deal with. It's a shame your experience wasn't the same.

Hi all

We have just paid to go to the casuarina in sept so im not worried about it being open anymore but Im a bit apprehensive. A friend of mine has said that there are xtra costs for flights nowbecause of fuel costs? Does anyone know anything about this now? Ive actuually been to my travel agnt who was totally unhelpful. She says that they do not know anything apart from that letters of notification can be sent out on the run up to your holiday.Ive heard this can be hundreds? After all the hassell with whether the hotel will be open now this! :que
There is discussion on fuel surcharges elsewhere on the forums, mostly in the GHE forum.

You would need to check the T&C's of the brochure or online website you booked from to see if the company has a no surcharge policy.

luci :wave
If anyones still concerned about building work..
We did arrange a move to The Turtle Beach so didn't stay here. . although I did visit this hotel and walk all through the hotel/pool/bar/beach. Based on the view I wouldn't have been dissapointed staying here. I saw a little building work still in progress and a few guys walking round doing a snag list but nothing to spoil your holiday. It's better here than going to an old hotel that needs a refit!
Beach Fantastic.
My parents have just paid for there holiday to Almond Casuarina for September and there was no suggestion of a fuel surcharge. They are travelling through Hayes & Jarvis and flying with Virgin
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.