Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
anyone back ...
21 Posts
Hi Julie36

I came back last week from Sunny Beach.

Weather was great.

It was quiet as it was the first week and most places were only starting to open.

Not a lot has changed except new buildings and the building works did not disturb us at all.

Prices for drinks and food have not changed very much from last year between 0.80 to 1.50 leva for a vodka and between 0.99 and 2.50 leva for a pint. A meal was around £4 for the two of us. You can still get fake clothing, cd's and dvd's. Brought back loads of clothes for my two older teenagers.

As for beggars! Yes the same ones were still there that were there last year which were a few kids, puppy and a woman with them. I'm afraid that my husband told them after a day to f*** off and they honestly didn't come near us again for the rest of the holiday. Did not notice any prostitutes (mind you don't know if husband did :wink: :lol: )

To be honest not a lot had really changed in Sunny Beach since we were ther last May except a lot more buildings have been built. They are putting a lot more street lights up which is great.

We walked from Sunny Beach to Old Nessebar and it took us about 45 minutes. It is only 0.70 on a bus but we did enjoy the walk.

Bourgas airport was brilliant for us this year but that is probably because we were the only flight at the time. We arrived from the uk early and arrived back half an hour early. Our transfer time to and from resort was only 20 minutes.

Liz
:wave
Thanks Liz for your report as it was nice to here that someone had the experience of prices this year and not just what people were thinking it would be. Any body else that has been to Bulgaria please keep everybody posted as we are not going to August. Will be watching this topic.

Tom
im flying at 6.30pm today - ill post as soon as i can whilst im there
Parents fly today to SB, so will see what they can tell me about prices/whats new etc.
anyone back from duni royal resort????i go in 10 days,, just hoping someone might be back by then with a report
just put a review on the forum for the Krystal Hotel and Golden Sands resort. got back on the 24th May
hoogie we are waiting for your live report!!! :hyper
Returned Tuesday 29th May from Albena, Weather was good for 6 days and overcast for 1 day with some rain, Pricesvery cheap for food and Drink, On arrival to Bourgas Airport at the Luggage collection area look for the shop at the back of it where you can still buy cheap ciggarettes, eg we purchased Rockets 40 320 ciggaretes for 12 euro's, Note also you can still buy ciggarettes perfumes and drink also in the 2 duty free shops in the Airport before departure note you pay Bulgarian duty on them.
Note also you can still buy ciggarettes perfumes and drink also in the 2 duty free shops in the Airport before departure note you pay Bulgarian duty on them.

N.B. You are only allowed to bring 200 cigarettes into the UK from Bulgaria, whether local tax paid or not, without paying UK duties & taxes - also note the security restrictions on liquids.

Baldur
Baldur is quite correct of course.

Please note there are reports of the security restrictions being strictly applied at Varna airport to the extent of make up and perfumes being confiscated on the journey home when found in hand baggage.

Note that the definition of 'liquid' under the restrictions includes creams, sprays, pastes and gels.

The airport shops at Varna and Bourgas in the international areas are unreliable with respect to being open, and whether when open they will accept credit cards.

Peter
hi i am going to ralitsa 3* in albena was just wondeing if there is much to do on the beach, like watersports and how much they cost or are they included in AI package and also what good excursions they are, is there anyone else flying out on the 1st of june
See this thread re the Ralitsa -

HERE

Peter
Yes your correct Baldur with the 200 cigs, But it only takes one person to take them to Court over this matter, As it did when they tried that with a Spanish Mp whom took them to court and totally made a fool of Uk customs and our Goverment with the same stupid 200 cigs ruling they impose.
If the country is in the EU you can bring back what you want, BUT it must be for your own use and not for resale. You have paid the tax in that EU country and EU law as, the Spanish MP proved applys to all EU member states. That is how I interpret it anyway. :D
If the country is in the EU you can bring back what you want, BUT it must be for your own use and not for resale. You have paid the tax in that EU country and EU law as, the Spanish MP proved applys to all EU member states. That is how I interpret it anyway.

It will be interesting to see how Customs respond to your interpretation Paul, hope you're prepared to go to the EU courts to argue your point, otherwise expect to have any excess confiscated or be charged the UK duty on them.

Aldur
It will be even more interesting to see how the Bulgarian customs react in view of the 200 limit on cigs being exported from Bulgaria.

They are not renowned for their toleration of people trying it on and ignorance of the rules is no excuse.

Patka
I'm sorry but the interpretations of the law by rwb46 and paul johnson1 in respect of the importation of tobacco from Bulgaria are incorrect and misleading, and this being a public forum must be corrected.

The restriction on tobacco imports from Bulgaria are stated HERE, and are in accord with EU law and are being applied by Germany; the United Kingdom; Denmark and Hungary.

These Member States have notified the Commission that they introduced on 1 January 2007 a restriction of 200 cigarettes for travellers coming from Bulgaria and Romania until 31 December 2009. Under EU law they are allowed to apply special transitional arrangements for travellers returning from the new Member States that joined the EU on 1 January 2007 as long as these new Member States have not reached the minimum level of taxation for cigarettes.

You have paid the tax in that EU country and EU law as, the Spanish MP proved applys to all EU member states. That is how I interpret it anyway.

WRONG - The minimum level of taxation is NOT being paid, that is the problem and why the restriction to 200 cigarettes is legal under EU law in those Member States who wish to apply it.

And, Patka is quite correct - under Bulgarian law you can't take more than 200 cigarettes out of Bulgaria. This is legislation brought in by the Bulgarians to appease the EU a number of years ago now.

Peter
As Peter's link to the EU Taxation & Customs Directives shows, interpretation of legislation (whether UK or EU) based on hearsay, media reports, conversations with mates down at the pub, etc., is inherently dangerous and could lead to potentially serious consequences.

Baldur
Fair enough my friend. I stand corrected. I know you can bring back what you want from Spain if you by from a Tobacos.But I have never been to Bulgaria before so I bough to your greater knowledge on this subject. :?: .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.