Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Yes it's Benidorm for us! I booked on Boxing Day, to go on January 27th.
I got a good deal with Thomson, full board at the Orange for 14 days for £736

I am particularly happy to have done this booking as we had to cancel a holiday in May, as I developed Cancer, so it is exactly a year since we went abroad ( I missed both a May and October holiday).
Regards Sue
Glad you`ve got a holiday Sue, you will be looking forward to Benidorm.
I hope you are on the mend.
Christine
:D Nothing will stop me going to Benidorm, i'm there for 10 weeks from 14 January regardless of the poor exchange rates. :D
I hear you loud and clear anniehac.

The Euro may go down, but value for money is almost guaranteed in Benidorm.

We do own an apartment there, so that won't change in price, but the food and drink is still awesome value for money IMHO.
Hi Pebbles, Benidorm will always be the in place for me. We are staying at the Gemelos 22, were we stayed last year and it was very good.
the pound has dropped against all currencies not just the euro.anybody who decides to book a holiday outside the eurozone thinking it is better value for money will be in for a shock
We are going in 3 weeks time for a long weekend.Will be staying at the Pelicanos.Will post some prices of drinks, food. entertainment on our return.
The prices are still the same, you can still get a full English breakfast for 2 euros.
However, the poor exchange rate makes you think about whether you really need that jumper at 15 euros or that handbag at 12 euros, which is currently 15 and 12 quid respectively.

The price of drinks in the hotel Regente have not changed since last year and the price of two coffee's in the cafe Vina del Mar are still the same, despite the increase in price of a bottle of milk.
Benidorm still remains value for money, you just have to decide where is the best place to spend your well earned cash.....simple !

Sanji
Ive booked for next year booked away back in august for 2009 staying at ambassador hotel euro not putting me off .Sadly i didnt get away on saturday dec 27th for a wk staying at the orange as my dad passed away on the 23rd december but im now looking again for a week after everything is all been taken care off Happy new year to you all cheers mazza
Benidorm is the No.1 place to go if travelling within the euro zone, so I think weighing up the pros and cons of value for money ie drinks prices, entertainment a choice of good standard accommodation etc there is no contest.
Have booked 2 weeks next year staying at the Regente for under £900 for the two of us, so I feel very happy with that.
Sorry mazza for your loss.
Happy New Year everyone.
Sorry to hear about your Dad Mazza and once again I offer my sincere condolences.

luci :wave
Hi
Just returned from Beni last night,prices getting ridiculous even pastie in indoor market £2.50.
Drinks prices in most places 2 euro for bottle of San Miguel if you buy 2 or 3 euro if you only want 1.
Prices in show bars worse,2 v + t with bottle mixer in Valentines = 11 euro,yes £11.
Bottle of SM and wine + soda in Morgans Tavern = £7 inc £1.60 for splash of soda.
Granted prices lower in small bars (£1 for undrinkable lager) but if you go for branded beers/spirits its
really expensive + who wants to sit in empty bar all night.
Not really bar owners fault just weak pound.Just expect to be shocked what you find.
Everybody i spoke to was saying the same.Beni not same with low pound.
On market day you never saw anyone with carrier bags,just having a walk around.
Found the best value in Spanish tapas bars in Old Town,bottle of SM + Soberano = 3 euros.
Sorry to be depressing but with pound so low it will be the death of the Costas.
Met one couple on plane home who had booked a month but was coming home after 10 days.
Johnny C
How is it not the bar owners fault for charging such high prices?

It is not as if they are buying their drinks from British wholesalers in pounds sterling, and if the Spanish bar owners can afford to charge a more reasonable price (but still outrageously expensive by normal standards), then why can't the others?
if the Spanish bar owners can afford to charge a more reasonable price (but still outrageously expensive by normal standards), then why can't the others?

I would imagine that they have to charge higher prices to cover the cost of the acts. At the end of the day, if you're not prepared to pay extra then avoid the Caberet bars.

We find that the Vincent chain pubs are quite reasonable, especially the Village pub which has quizzes, karaoke e.t.c. If you look around I'm sure that there are still reasonably priced bars and a bargain to be had. ;)

Sue :)
Possibly Sue.........But there again, I would imagine that those places had to pay for their acts before the pound took a nose dive as well.

So there remains only one justification for such high prices.

Greed.

Bar owners are well aware that visitor numbers are down at the moment, and that they will probably decrease further. They want to make the same profit from fewer customers so, of course, they have to charge disproportionately more.

It is easy to form the impression from reading this (and other) threads about Benidorm that some people are under the illusion that business owners having been doing holidaymakers a favour with their prices in the past. This has never been the case. They always have, and always will, charge the absolute maximum that they can possibly get away with.
Ive been going to Benidorm for years every year,and Im not going back in 2009!!.Decided Ive had enough of paying ridiculous prices in the cabaret bars to see the same acts telling the same jokes every year.Also too many stag and hen parties in the hotels so drunk and swearing,spoilt it for me this year.Booked Turkey for 2 holidays instead.
sorry to hear about your dad mazza , condolences .

ive booked up twice for next year , the Mont park and the Ambassador , both full board , i think more people will be going full/board or all inclusive from now on.

as most people say , benidorm is the place to be still , but from now on i will be picking and chosing my Caberet bars , maybe pop in for an hour each night , how can they charge something like 6 euro for a vodka (minus the mixer) when you can buy a litre of vodka for 10 euro in the off sales . :que
Will Benidorm survive the credit crunch and the low pound sterling?
Of course it will, out of all the costas Benidorm remains the best for value for money.
There is no doubt that last week (Christmas week) that numbers were down compared to previous years, but if you'd walked on the promenade this morning up into the old town, then you would wonder where have all these people come from and what credit crunch.?

It was heaving up in the old town, but no doubt some of you will need the photo's that I took to convince you. ;)
The Spanish love Benidorm as much as the Brits and they have arrived in thousands for the New Year celebrations, also the Belgians and Dutch, so, as they use the euro, the exchange rate for sterling makes not one bit of difference to them.
I can't comment on cabaret bars because I knocked them out of touch years ago and why would I want to go and pay their prices when some of the acts doing the circuit are booked to perform in the Hotel Regente.?
The Spanish are not silly enough to pay and watch these second rate performers, so the cabaret bars will suffer, but the resort will not while ever the other nations continue to keep coming.

In a Spanish bar this morning, I had a coffee, the hubby had a black coffee with brandy, plus a bottle of sprite...the cost 5 euros 40 centimos, which is basically £5.40p.
Can you buy that in England for that price.?....I think not.!
If you want the finest Scotch, then you'll pay for it because it's been imported in, but if you want a very good spanish brandy, it will not cost you anymore than it did last year, it's only dearer because you are getting less euros than you did last year....so where have all these ridiculous prices come from that people are mentioning.? :que

Sanji
Bless you Sanji, hope youare having a great time. There is no better place to be than Benidorm. All those doom and gloom posts will not put me off. Roll on 14 January, it can't come soon enough. :sun2 :D :wave:
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.