Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Is John still entertaining in Cala Bona? He was recomended last year and made my holiday and could well get me back there.
John has left the island for family reasons but may return next year(so i was informed).
Thankyou Jayjay65 for the reply on John, I do hope he returns
Yeah, it is CBG, but it is going to be big job, they will have to pull it down, and re-build it brick by brick. I don't think it affects the block at the back, or the annexe at the end. Hey Tis I agree with you, it is a great place, but the loss of the London Inn, is so sad. 23 years they have been in Mallorca, 2 years in Cala Millor, and 21 years in Cala Bona, we believe they are coming home to England, after the end of October. Will keep you posted, as I have said we are off to, Santa Ponsa, next year, give there a chance.

Garry x
I agree the loss of the London Inn is bad but it doesn't have to be the end for Cala Bona.....we've booked to go back next summer.....weighing up the cost of a caravan holiday in UK against holiday in Majorca, there was no contest. Couldn't get same apartment as this year so we'll be in Cala Millor (Cala Bona end) but I'm happy with that, means we'll be able to eat out in CHEERS more often. I'm looking forward to seeing how things are, hoping that we'll not see too many changes with regards to bar ownership and closures.

Can't wait to go back....kids are counting down already :)
Came back from Cala Bona yesterday. It was interesting to note that whilst walking into Cala Millor in an evening some nights the place would be heaving and then the next night or two it would be very quiet. We wondered where the people kept disappearing. We had a few spectacular storms whilst there and noticed as a result huge amounts of seaweed thrown up onto the rocks and in some places even onto the beach. This would have put me off if I was a beach-lover. It also smelt in places. Not sure what they can do about this, but certainly in the 2 weeks we were there we didn't see too much of an effort to remove the seaweed - apart from the little beach in front of the Levante. We did have a great time though and I also would agree with the comments re the cyclepath - its an absolute nightmare at times! Having said that, I also felt we were in danger of being knocked over by the 'wrinklies' on their mobility scooters!!!!

Would I go back - probably not or certainly not as late as this time of the year.
Really shocked, was in Cala Bona in May and it was really busy. The London Inn was packed every night we were in there and also the Donkeys Rest for our mid day snack was busy. Stayed in Sa Coma two years ago and when we visited in May we were talking to a cafe owner who said that lots of eateries had closed due to all inclusive at the hotels. Such a shame as love both places.
We got back on Wednesday :( , admittedly we stayed in S'Illot but went to Cala Bona and Cala Millor nearly every night I have to agree with Babs135, the seaweed was a problem as well as the 'wrinklies' on mobility scooter and the amount of Germans was unbelievable (some of them are so arrogant). We went to see Dave and Doreen in the London Inn for our last time, shame they are ending their association with the place, they will still live in Majorca and are looking forward to the rest, but when saying our good byes it was a bit emotional. We was amazed how quiet Cala Bona was when ever we visited, Cala Millor was a bit busier, but nothing like as busy the same time last year.
Still we had a great time despite the torrential rain storms, on Tuesday (our last day before flying home that night) we went to Palma with the intention of having a harbor cruise, no such luck, to be honest with the amount of flooding on the main harbor road i'm surprised we did not make our own hire car cruise :yikes .
As for next year I think we will try somewhere different, don't get me wrong we love Majorca, but a change is as good as a rest so they say.

BigAl.
Hi Al. Where did you stay in Sillot? Me and my friend are going to Sa Coma/Sillot next year for a few days. Were both resorts very quiet? Just wondering why you went into Cala Bona/Millor nearly every nite :) .
Hi, we stayed at the Arcos Playa apartments in S'illot, they are really nice, we had a top floor two bedroom apartment which was massive. There was very little if any entertainment in S'illot and Sa Coma was not much better which is why we wandered to Cala Bona or Cala Millor but to be honest everywhere seemed quiet but it is October. I would say that during the daytime S'illot and Sa Coma where much busier than Cala Bona or Cala Millor, which surprised me.
If you are going to stay at S'illot I highly recommend the Arcos, mainly because of the size of the apartments, and mainly British holiday makers, ask for apartment 301 or any of the 01's as they are corner apartments with walk around balconies that overlook the pool, main square, mountains and with sea views towards Sa Coma.
If you want any more info just ask. :tup

Al
Just returned from a wet week at the Moreyo.Still had a great time and it was sad saying goodbye to the crazy gang at the London Inn.On a brighter note Caroline at the Moreyo says that they are defo open next but may not use travel republic (think she mentioned hotels 4 u but my spanish is rubbish!)As usual they couldnt do enough for us .Staff even came out to give us a round of applause for swimming in the rain,when youre wet your wet ! :cheers
We have decided Santa Ponsa, is the place for us next year, we have found a really nice private appt, which backs onto the sea, it has it's own diving platform, and steps back up. Plus it is much nearer to Palma, so Bev can go for dialysis, in a cab, so we don't have to hire a car. The owner is really nice, and helpful, there is a taxi rank just around the corner, and "the square" is about 100 yards away, which is great cos that's where all the acts perform. We know quite a few of them now, including Abba Again, so it won't be much different from Cala Bona, just so sad to see the "London Inn" closing, 23 years of history, I will be there for the "end of an era" next week, 27th of October is when it all ends. Boo Hoo, my god, I don't think there will be a dry eye, in the house that night, will remember you all fondly to Dave, and Doreen though.
Garry and Bev xxx
Hi Al. Me and my friend have had 4 days in Sillot/Sa Coma for the last few years. We have stayed at the Paraiso and the Punta Amer. Next year we are thinking of trying half board in one of the 4* hotels because, to be honest, the food wasn't great and we tried loads of places. Booked our flights and going to look for some accommodation after Christmas :cheers .
Work has started on the Cala Bona hotel.....they've moved the webcam so you can see all the work in progress.
Did anyone go to the Cala Bona London Inn closing party? I bet it was buzzing, I'd appreciate any good stories on the event. Was there any inkiling of it re-opening under new ownership or is that just wishful thinking?
Garry went with his wife Bev I think but don't think he's been back on since so not sure how it went.
Sorry but it is wishful thinking i asked Dave when we were there 2 weeks before closing and my intentions were honourable as i was enquiring with a view to purchase but from what Dave said it was the end (owner of property etc) cant really say anymore respected Daves answers so left it at that and enjoyed our week at the London Inn .They will be missed by a lot of people but ,hey, we all have to retire sometime ,good luck to Dave and Doreen for their retirement ,you will be missed (and joyce,leslie,and jenette) x
Yes, sorry JayJay, that was the end, the end of an era, Dave and Doreen send all their love, to all customers, past and present. It is over, the place is up for sale, by the people upstairs. 800,000 euros. Joyce has gone back home, to Newcastle, Jeanette, is staying there, with her husband, Pete, they actually have a nice apartment, in Cala Bona. He works at the Rose and Crown, in Cala Millor, she has a job at the "Sundeck", next year, also in Cala Millor. Lesley and Dave, maybe going back to Ca'n Pastilla, they are really good friends of ours.

We ourselves, are going to Santa Ponsa, next year, good crack in the square, we believe.

The last night, was the best by the way, started out with David, then Vic Reeves, then Kev, then all hell let loose, Iain Duncan, then Graeme Dee, my god it was such a good night.

The end of an era it was.

Garry and Bev xxx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.