Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
When we visited in early October I asked Dave what is happening to the place and he said he had no idea, he said they will never go back not even for a visit and did not care about it after they had retired.
We have a friend who lives in Port Nou (I think that is the name its just up from Cala Bona) and they said they had been told that the London Inn might be pulled down and apartments built in its place if the owners cannot find a buyer, as he said if the owner keeps it as a pub it can never replace the London Inn and Dave and Doreen.
As for that massive price tag, I think Dave might have been pulling your leg, or maybe that is the value for a new building, I looked at the outside of the building when it was closed and to be honest it is not in good condition and would need quite a lot of work although a lot could be cosmetic without looking to closely.
End of an era, but all the best to Dave and Doreen, you both deserve a rest.

Alan
Tis,
believe me, try going on Thinkspain.com, click on property, Ref:573023. Then try telling me I'm wrong. When I was there, the day after the "end of an era", I went to tea with one of the waitresses, and her husband, Jeannette, and Pete, they told me that Dave had the keys, til Mon 1st of November, the staff were all going in there Saturday and Sunday, to clear out anything that didn't belong to the owners. He, Dave genuinely thought, they were going to turn it into one large house, but looking at this advert, maybe they are looking into re-opening the bar, like Alan says though it will never be the same, I know I will never go back there. Too many fond memories, staff, and old friends, the entertainers too, we got to know them all.

I have most of them on Face Book, so keep in touch there, will see most of the entertainers next year in Santa Ponsa, at "The Square", most of them play there, different nights of the week.

It was strange though the last night I was there, going to meet Jeannette, and Pete, coming out of the Sema apartments, and the London in total darkness, I've never seen it like that, at 6 o'clock, spooky.
Hi Garry.
Its hard to believe that the owners will get that kind of price given how the situation is and how much work I think needs to be done, when we visited Cala Bona in June and October it was far from busy and as we all agree the AI trade is killing off small businesses in these lovely resorts. My inlaws have bought a villa in Andratx for their retirement, so when we visit in January we might have a ride to Cala Bona to see what is happening to the place.

I think we might try one of the Canary Isles for our hols next year, somewhere different, failing that a week or two in Andratx sounds great too.

Alan
Garry, I wasn't trying to tell you that you were wrong! I had wondered originally if you'd accidently added an extra zero but before I made my post I went onto my usual Majorca property guides (just like to have a look and see what's going on) and there it was, €800,000 and that's when I made my post!

The owner isn't the owner of the Sema Apts is it? I just can't see how they can even think they'll get that for it, us folk who return year in year out know how hard it's getting for the bar/restaurant owners and as we've discussed before there's a canny few up for sale at the moment......having said that, it's still the only place I want to go on holiday to and I'm booked already for next year.

I can only think they're trying to get such a high figure based on the reputation the London Inn had and of course 3 bed apartments are hard to come by HOWEVER I don't think they have a snowball in hells chance of getting 800,000 for it.....it's not as if it's in a prime position or has wonderful views either!

Will be watching the advert with great interest and will take a look when we're out next summer and see what's happening!
Happy New Year everyone, we got back from Majorca on Thursday, the weather was quite nice but cold in the evenings, whilst we was there I could not resist having a look at Cala Bona (even though we was at the other end of the island at Andratx), seemed strange seeing the London Inn closed and in complete darkness, to be honest everywhere seemed like a ghost town, the few people we met was either Germans or Spanish, did not talk or hear to any English whist we had our walk from Cala Bona to the other end of Cala Millor and back, it seemed strange as when we are normally there the promenade is busy. The Hotel Cala Bona had lots of workmen there when we went past. It looks like building work is being carried out to a few hotels this winter.
As for the in laws villa in Andratx, that will be the only time we visit as they have already put it on the market as the area is not to their liking .
We had thought about going to one of the Canaries this year but have once again decided to go back to S'Illott and the Apartments Arcos Playa mid June. Just waiting to see if the flights get a bit cheaper.

Alan and Dara
Happy New Year....this time of year you won't get many tourists there at all (as you discovered) as season doesn't really start till May (we found June quiet when we went in 2008). I can imagine it being a ghost town this time of year but that's normal for most of Majorca I guess.....this time of year everyone tends to head off to the Canaries as it's usually a few degrees warmer.

We were watching the webcam and saw work starting on the Cala Bona (looked like the back building) but then the webcam came down so no idea what's going on....just hope it's all done and dusted by time peeps start going on their hols.

We're back to Cala Millor (Cala Bona end) in July......I can't wait! Hope you get your flights sorted....Jet2 appear to have brought theirs down, we booked ours with Easyjet again this year :cheers
Hi Tis,
I know what you mean about it still being quiet in June we was in Playa de Muro last June and it was pretty quiet, in fact it was busier in October when we stayed in S'Illott.

The webcam at the hotel Cala Bona is working, in fact I am watching it now, looks more like a bomb site at the moment. They are currently clearing all the debris from the ground floor.

Flight wise, we will probably use Monarch again from Manchester, its nearly door to door on the train for us. Looked at Easy jet, Jet2 and BMI baby and they are all basically the same give or take a tenner, I could not believe how much Thomson or Thomas Cook wanted they are both double that of other airlines. Was thinking about Easy Jet from Liverpool but there is no train station there and don't fancy getting taxis.

Roll on Mid June :cheers
OMG.......you're right the webcam is working! :) Have been checking every few days but it was just black with NO VIDEO in the top left corner for weeks. They have been VERY busy since I was last able to view it....it's just a shell now....would prefer to look out over the harbour tho'....I miss that view!

Good luck with getting your flights with Monarch, hope you get them nice'n'cheap.....Thomsons prices were ridiculous when we looked at them!

Roll on July :cheers
Big Al

You can do Liverpool Airport by train - if your train stops at Liverpool South Parkway then you can catch the regular shuttle bus to the airport. 5 min trip on a mostly dedicated bus lane

hope this helps
Hi Becky.
I will remember this for the next hols as we booked on Friday from Manchester with Monarch and they don't give refunds.

Thanks again
Alan
How is Cala Bona faring without the London Bar? It was always our main nightstop and we always made a point of ending the night in the great atmosphere, even if we didn't spend the whole night there. As any other bar taken up the slack and become a venue for artists etc. It would be good to know - Thanks.
Just back, do not worry the resort is surviving. The back road with the closed London Inn looks awful but the prom is bustling. Claudia was on at the Alicia and other nites good shows. Levante had the usual. Fallon was on at Millor Garden ( where we stayed, excellent value) Sur and Moreyo alternated artists nightly. Cala Bona has Tony Peppons and other mixed shows Michael Jackson, Rod Stewart tributes etc! Usual artists at Atalon. The bar/ beside the Cap de mar (with benches) had good country/ western,singers most nights and not forgeting the Consul had someone every night. So something for everyone!
If you want anymore info pm me. CBG
Hi CBG. Just back from a few days in Sa Coma with my best friend. Sa Coma was really quiet; Kings Head busy but people disappeared after the tribute bands (probably back to their AI which is totally ruining the resort). Walked into Cala Bona which was busy. Wish I had known Claudia was appearing; saw her in Magaluf a few years ago and thought she was brilliant. Gx
No signs of John, I read that he has relocated to the mainland. What a shame as he was a good entertainer and a great guy
Thankyou Calabonagirl, He was the best nights holiday entertainment I have ever had as he was so different. Maybe he will turn up as a surprise somewhere. I also enjoy Dyland Cassidy ( Rod Stewart impersonator) and before we went to Palma Nova in February I had alook to see If i could see If he was booked for anywhere we could go and see him and he turned up in the hotel we were staying as the entertainment on the last night
shrimper-I think I saw Dylan at the Alicia this year, (Rod Stewart tribute) he was excellent.
Hi everyone, I am yet another big fan of Cala Bona. This was my 5th year of Cala Bona and have already booked again for next year. This year we stayed in the Alicia, what a lovely hotel, and having read some of the reviews we also saw Dylan Cassidy, he was brilliant.

I used to chat alot on webcamsmania but for some strange reason, the fan club can no longer chat so glad I have found this site.
Hi Pat, there is a lot of us Cala Bona fans here. Are you going to the Alicia next year? I can't decide if I want to go in a hotel or self catering, the flight is booked so will check prices when all the accom is on for next year. The Millor Garden was great value so we might go back or maybe splash the €'s and go to the Bonamar or a lotto win and I'm in the Gran Sol!!!!Speak soon CBG
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.