Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hello Simmey.

I have done two Nile Cruises followed by a week in Luxor and going on my third cruise and stay in Luxor in three weeks time.

First Choice used to offer 4 days @ Sharm, 1 weeks Nile Cruise then 3 further days in Sharm - was that the package you mentioned being discontinued? Have you also tried Thomas Cook, Kuoni and Longwood Holidays? Another alternative is to do the weeks nile cruise then a week in Luxor and arrange an overnight trip to the red sea from there - i did the day trip - it was excellent but a long journey so if doing it again i would opt for the overnight trip - there are some really good local tour organisers who can sort this out for you at less than half the cost of your tour operator.

As for Luxor - it is not your typical holiday resort, more a working town with fantastic temples and tombs to visit, there is the hassle factor but if you have the right attitude and a good sense of humour i find it's very easily dealt with. Because it's not your typical beach holiday type resort women are always advised to cover up more - the advice i have been given is to cover shoulders and legs to the knee and topless sunbathing is prohibited.

There are a good few places to eat out at night if you look at http://www.luxortraveltips.com it gives good information on them all. Not all restaurants serve alcohol though. The price of drink varies a great deal, in hotel's and if drinks are not included in your cruise boat package you will pay upwards of £4 for a large beer and £4 for a glass of wine, a bottle of wine will be around £15-£18. It is cheaper in the bars around town - maybe about £2.50 for a beer, the same for a glass of wine. Luxor is not known for it's nightlife, there are a few bars but no clubs or disco's. The nile palace has a bellydancing / whirling dervish show on at nights and the Jolie Ville has a fellah tent show twice a week with food, drink, camel rides, bellydancing, snake charmer. If you want a bit of nightlife though i would stick with the red sea resorts.

As for safety in Luxor - it's as safe as anywhere, i've been to Egypt four times now and never once felt unsafe.

If you have any more questions dont hesitate to ask and i hope you manage to find a package that suits what you want to do.

Suzie
Luxor is an excellent base for your holiday.

There are lots of restaurants from very cheap to expensive, depending on your fancy.

If you are looking for a hotel, try to stay somewhere fairly central so you can walk if you feel like it. Personally, I think anything past the Sheraton is too far out of town and the Hilton in the opposite direction is also too far out of the town.

Last time we stayed at the Sonesta St George and had a great time for the 2 nights we were there.

Then again, I am totally biased - Egypt is my favourite holiday destination now I am living in Cyprus (which was my No 1 favourite place before). Luxor will always be a firm favourite, closely followed by Aswan.

CwB
Hi we have also done the Nile cruise and stayed at Sonesta St George and had a fantastic time. Been to Luxor a few times and it is like marmite love it or hate it. We booked with Nile Cruises 4 U and the lady is really knowledgable - from memory either Barbara or Brenda. We stayed on King Tut. Nile Cruise is amazing and we went all inclusive on cruise which included 10 excursions 3 meals per day and wine and beer.
Thanks for your replies, you've been a great help.

Suzie, yes the package was the one you mentioned, staying in Sharm 2 nights, Nile cruise 7 nights then Sharm 4 nights, they are not doing it in winter and may not do it in summer, (we wanted to go in April when it would be cooler to do sightseeing.

I just can't make my mind up, we are used to beach holidays and would love to stay in a Red Sea resort for the 2nd week giving us a chance to unwind after all the sightseeing but can't bear the thought of such a long journey home on the last day, I think it would be too tiring. It would be so much better to fly home from Sharm rather than bus you all the way back to Luxor.
Hi again Simmey,

I had a look online and you can book similar holiday with hayes and jarvis and discover egypt. The discover egypt holiday is inclusive of one night in Cairo.

I have heard people complain at the airport about the long journey back from the Red Sea resorts to Luxor on the last day, seemingly they were picked up from their hotels at 5am and taken to the Jolie Ville Hotel in Luxor until it was time to depart for the Airport. Many were talking about complaining to the tour operator as they had no idea there was such a long journey involved!!!!!

It's a shame First Choice have stopped doing the Sharm/Cruise/Sharm holiday as i think it was very popular. I think a lot of things are changing now they have joined forces with Thomsons.

Suzie.
Susie,

It's the long journey on the last day I'm worried about, such and early pick-up, long journey to Luxor then waiting at a hotel until the time of the flight, then 4hr flight and we live 3hrs drive away from Manchester, I think we would come back exhausted instead of refreshed.

I've sent for a Hayes and Jarvis brochure, thanks for your reply.
It is a very long journey :( we went two years ago from Hurghada to luxor for our flights because at that time they wasn't flying from birmingham to Hurghada while we loved the holiday the travelling home was a nightmare just very tiring only went back last year because they now do direct flights to Hurghada from bham would not of gone if we had to do that journey again. Saying that this year we are going on overnight trip to luxor by coach but then have week back in hotel to recover :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.