Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Hi rijan :wave:

As you mention there are some posters, :think me for one, that have previously arranged a taxi to take them to various destinations, I would recommend that you arrange your taxi through the hotel reception, that way you will get a reliable driver and the hotel also know who you are out with.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=136680&hilit=Kairouan
I did an extensive tour of Tunisia a few years ago ending up in PEK for a few days, unfortunately the tour didn't include Dougga which I think is the most impressive of all the Roman ruins in the country.
One of the reception staff at our PEK hotel arranged a private taxi trip for four of us, it wasn't expensive and we had a comfotable ride in an almost new Renault Espace.
Thanks again
I think the very valid point both make is that with wife and kids, safety is paramount so probably better to get hotel to arrange a taxi than to try to sort a deal out with a driver outside....
Hi rijan

I note you are going to Tunisia with your wife and kids, I am not sure if you have ever been to Tunisia or any similar country (Turkey, Egypt, Morocco etc) but I should just point out that part of the culture is haggling over prices when you are out and about.
You will get almost constant pressure from vendors to buy from them, this can seem quite strange and can be a bit intimidating if you haven't experienced it before however don't let this put you off as there is no real danger and the locals see it as a bit of fun.

Graham
We have been to Pakistan and also to Turkey [Istanbul and Anatalya] so if it like that then fine. I was led to believe though that they are MUCH more aggressive than that in Hammamet Medina so was seriously rethinking going there [which is a pity as we loved the Grand Bazaar].
I read your thread and noticed you paid £13 each.
On TA I was private messaged by a couple of tour guides who were offering a car to Khairoun and El-Djem for £90 or £130 respectively.
I think I will see what the hotel can sort!
Hi rijan

There were 4 of us going and the total worked out about £13 each (£52 total) for the day and we also gave a small tip at the end.

The price quoted for you might include a tour guide for the full itinerary and the very small entry fee for El-Djem however our price was just for the taxi although the driver was knowledgeable and did tell us a lot about the locations but didn't accompany us in to them.

Graham
Thanks
I will keep the numbers and see what things are like locally and what the Tour Rep/Hotel have in place. :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.