Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
one way to protect the people (bar personnel) you know is by walking into the bar to speak to them and then its not classed as hassle as such but i do sympathise with people who only want to speak to their friends ,after all weve all known people for years in Icmeler.We just take the card off them and say no thanks or whatever and that is enough mostly ,but i will not put up with physical hassle but this has only happened 2/3 times in the 9 years weve been going to Icmeler ,twice in Marmaris Marina and once from the Baron bar and the "infamous" guy outside there,but i had a "word" with him and it stopped.But as i say if its someone you know and dont want to get them in trouble just step over the threshold and speak to them if you have time ;)
I think the hassle in turkey is nowhere as near as bad as it used to be

does this show that the police actions are working?

It is sad though that you cannot be approoached by a "friend" without him risking his business.
Surely there must be a middle way that curbs the excesses but still leaves room for a friendly "welcome back"
The touting at restaurants only seems to bother first timers to Turkey, regulars either ignore it or laugh it off.
Or do they?
In tenerife we just ignored them, i suppose its what kind of person you are, id still be polite but i can see it winding a few people up
I too have just returned from Marmaris and i found the hassling worse this year than the previous few.
A couple of times the frontman on the restaurant went to shake my hubs hand only to keep hold of it while he tried to get us in.
I dont mind them asking us to eat there but when they go too far it bugs me and i wouldnt eat there if that was the only place left in Marmaris.
I can fully understand why they need to get the customers in, but i was really hoping it would have quietened down this year, last year i took my daughters for the 1st time, and on the day we arrived one of the guys grabbed my daughter by the arm and dragged her into a restaurant, i just walked in and dragged her back out, while this behaviour is annoying, i find it such a shame that they are forced to close down for 3 days! :que
I've just got back from 2 weeks in Altinkum and i didnt find the restaurants and bars hassling as much. Some of them still try and call u over etc but they're not as aggressive. Didim Shopping centre is the worst though. U get proper hassled by every shop everytime u go in there. One of them called my friend a gypsy and he isnt a small guy! He turned round and asked him to repeat what he just said and he shut his mouth after that. Me and my friend also got called gypsies for some reason in the market!! Some of the Turks can be quite rude sometimes but luckily most of them are very nice.
Just back ffom Olu Deniz and the hassle factor was low........even more so when you have a tan and are no longer classed as 'fresh meat'!!!!!!!!!!

However, did notice 2 particular bars were shut for 3 days a piece with the explanation outside being tha they were all 'on holiday'.

Don't know if this was an imposed shut down or really were just away????!!!!
one point about blaming the police looking for bribes. Has it occurred to any of you that the restuarants are reporting each other?? to reduce the competition. every time I have a foreign client looking at houses here in Antalya within two days I get a tax raid as the Turkish estate agents are jealous and call in the maliye (tax people). What make this worse is half of them or more are not declaring any tax. The more Turkish businesses that go bust here the better unless they are prepared to behave with some integrity.
hi fiona
i cant beleive you were hassled in turkey those days have gone years ago
i:m going to altinkum in september hope its ok first time in altinkum i love marmaris thought have a change tony :wave: :wave:
Fethiye used to be a terrible place for hassle.There are some lovely shops in the old part where you could spend hours.The problem was you just wanted to get away as soon as possible as almost every shopkeeper was pestering you to sit down,drink tea and buy in their shops.It was way over the top and uncomfortable and could literally spoil holidays as people would stay away.
Now it is entirely different as you can walk through,take your time and enjoy the experience.
Bartering is part of the experience but over the top hassle is not.
Regards Dave
hi ijduffell
thanks for you reply about altinkum i:ve been going to marmaris for the last 10yrs thought about having a change altinkum in september cant wait they do the same in marmaris just shut bars /rest for 5 days tony :cheers :cheers
hi all been to a few places in turkey i love the banter i met one of my good turkish friends through him hassling me to eat in his place one night i did kept in touch ever since they no how to look after you of course you cant eat every where you walk. so a polite no thanks or para yok ( no money ) or if you tell them your a/i they remember you and leave you alone . but for me turkey wouldn't be the same with out the banter and barta. :wave:
hi anthony h when are you going sept, 8 of us are going 19th so i hope we dont get hassled to much as we love turkey .last sept was'nt to bad if you get to know some of them they sort of spread the word to others to leave you alone :D
hi myra
flying out to altkinum sept 12th first time to altinkum . been going to marmaris for the last 10yrs thought we would have achange ,booked flights for june 2009 to marmaris £165 you cant miss those bargains what are the temperatures like in september tony :wave: :wave:
last year they were in the high 70's some days were over 80 it was lovely and warm a bit cooler at night but after you come out of a hot pub or resturant your glad of that .i'm sure you will enjoy altinkum as much as marmaris. :hols
myra
thanks for the reply 70 80s will be fine
tony, :cheers : :cheers
I thought this topic was :bars and restaurants closed by police:!!!
sorry for that :offtop but was asked a question and it would have been impolite not to answer.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.