General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I've now remembered that you can type in the letter and then press the up or down arrow key once or more to get the right accent etc.

.... yes,roseweb - that's what I do.
I've only got two modules left to do, but one of them has 40+ verbs in and I know I'm going to have trouble remembering all those, so I'm putting off starting 'cos it's gonna be a 5:00 a.m. finish - assuming that I ever finish!! :lol:
P.S. If your ears start burning about 04:30 tomorrow morning, it'll be me !! :rofl
I'm back on Greek. They shout at me on Symi if I make any mistakes (and then bring another bottle of Mythos).

My wife speaks classical Greek but the Greeks don't understand a word, of course. The language appears to have changed a bit in the last 2000 years, a bit like UK really.
The language appears to have changed a bit in the last 2000 years, a bit like UK really.

I think it changes on a weekly basis in the U.K. !! If they have anyone under the age of 25 on the t.v., I struggle to understand what the hell they're talking about.Perhaps b.y.k.i. will bring out a 'Modern English for old f**ts' soon !! :rofl :rofl
Just started on Spanish. Only got 49 days to do some cramming before Mexico. Hubby says he'll be happy just learning " a glass of beer" & "show me the way to go home" :lol: Can't say I blame him!
Roseweb, thanks for that. I found it and am practising my Turkish......can only get better. :D
Typing the answers in Greek is a pig. My brain aches. I need more beer. Whose bright idea was this?

And now Basil Brush is trying to persuade the poor people on the Turkey page to have a go in case they were lucky enough to have missed this thread. All over the country, you can hear HT members cursing and shouting strange words at the screen.

Oh well, back to it.
All over the country, you can hear HT members cursing and shouting strange words at the screen.

Yes, and we all know who to blame for late nights and looking like zombies in the morning, don't we Roseweb :!: :wink:
shouting strange words at the screen.
..... I would consider my time well spent if I could do it in Portuguese !!!
I only know one Portuguese swearword and daren't use it because,judging by the grin on my Portuguese friend-Rogerio's face, I think it may well be much,much, dirtier than what he told me it meant !!
Trouble is, I can't even check it out with Fatima,his wife, in case I'm right !! :lol:
Hi RP

The whole of the country will be walking around on a morning goggle eyed except me,i've still got ME on my computer and it only works on XP or Vista.

I can only use it on the girlfriends computer,and after five minutes she turns it off saying i'd take it to bed with me if i could (there's an idea for all you addicts :rofl )

Basil.
P.S. If your ears start burning about 04:30 tomorrow morning, it'll be me !!

Sagres, my ears didn't burn - have you done those verbs yet? :bhead
No,roseweb, I've 'hit the wall' as marathon runners would say !! Most of them I know because they're words I have already needed and used in the past;it's the ones I have never needed,and am never likely to need,and,quite frankly,am just not in the slightest bit bloody interested in, ( to climb, to design etc.)that I can't get to stick in what's left of my memory !! Does anyone else have this problem ???
From looking at the layout of the screen, there is a 'minus' sign there which is not activated on the free version.If I thought that,on the upgraded version, this could be used to delete words you didn't want to learn from the list and just let you concentrate on the words you're likely to need and use, then I'll consider upgrading.
I particularly enjoyed the 'seasons' and the 'days of the week' lists-straight through,first time, no spelling mistakes and all accents and cedillas in their right places;what did I get straight after ??? ..... bloody irregular soddin' verbs !!! :bhead ....'to be cold outside'.. now that's a beauty for the Algarve- see what I mean ?? :lol:
Thanks for this Rose, looks really helpful - I've made a note and will look at it one evening when I've got time.
Believe me, puddleduck, you will NEED time. As everyone has said it can be quite addictive. I start each session with a quick run over what I have done so far - so the time I spend is getting longer and longer. :roll:
Hi Sagres,

I think you should have another go at the dreaded verbs. You're not a quitter, are you?! With a bit of imagination (and determination!) it's easy to create links in your mind between most of the verbs and their meanings, e.g. adivinhar (divine/guess), desenhar (design/draw), crescer (crescendo/grow) and ferver (fervent/boil). I'm sure you already know beber, and after a little thought I worked out a link for cacar (hunt) by thinking of (and I expect you're there before me) Marques de Cacares, a very nice Rioja no doubt having something to do with hunters - OK it's a tenuous link but it helps me!! The only one I can't do anything about is consertar. How the b******g h*ll can that mean "fix".

Go on ...... try it again. :lol:
I start each session with a quick run over what I have done so far

Unnecessarily masochistic, Prawn. :tut
Sorry, but I just can't see the point of wasting a couple of hours learning words for which I can have no possible use.I will never,I promise you, ever need to use the word for 'hunt' when 'procurar' will suit me perfectly well when I'm looking for something.There is,I'm afraid, limited capacity in my memory these days and I need to prioritise those words I wish to commit to it.This is why I'd like to know,if anybody can enlighten me,whether the de luxe software gives the option to choose which words remain in each list.
Just checking that it has sunk in, Roseweb. At my age you cannot guarantee that info has not leaked out through the holes in the brain.

Have to say though that I am finding some quirky bits in the Turkish one - in one list is gives 'Iyi gunler' as 'Good day' which is what I understood it to mean, but in another it gives it as 'Good afternoon' so I got that wrong even though it was right before! :roll: Still, perseverance is something I have learned after many years with 'Sir'. :D
Hey Sagres, just found this thread........pm me with your Portuguese "swear" word and I bet I can tell you it's meaning!!!!!! :lol:
Pat
:glynis
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.