Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Bodrum
21 Posts
About 35km, maybe 30 mins to centre of Bodrum. There are plenty of places to stay on the peninsula other than Bodrum itself if you want a beach holiday.
any info welcome not having been before, recommendations always good. Like a beach, a harbour, boats, somewhere nice to walk
Yes the transfer is fairly short. Bodrum is a cosmopolitan bustling town. If you prefer peace and quiet stay somewhere else on the peninsula and just go into Bodrum for a buzz! The castle is a lovely place to visit and it is a great place for a shopoholic. At night there are plenty of bars and clubs to choose from. There are also many daily boat trips to take. My choice would be to stay somewhere like Gumusluk because I like things a little quieter. If you are a party animal who enjoys staying out late then Bodrum may be for you.
I always say to people that love Greece that they would love Turkey.

Newer apartments and hotels [generally] and better facilities [all usually have air-con as standard] and cleaner overall.

Bodrum peninsula is a great first choice for turkey. If you want lively head for Gumbet, if you want quiet head for Bitez, Ortakent.

Middle of the two would be Turgetreis.

Bodrum is fantastic to visit day and night, and there are also plenty of trips that can be taken.

Enjoy
I always say to people that love Greece that they would love Turkey.

Sorry to say not true in our case, :really been to turkey twice [Bodrum & Side] hated both sticking to Greece Portugal and Cyprus
Just as a matter of interest what did you hate about Bodrum ? I really enjoyed it there last year, only downside was I thought it was by far the most expensive Turkish resort I have been to [ hotel was reasonable though ! ]
lots of things, big, brash, noisy, more expensive, and i didn't find the locals as friendly as everyone else seems to,also i go on holiday for a rest and found we were being hassled on every street by vendors, many people like that kind of thing but sorry we don't, the traditional local cuisine was similar to that of the Dodecanese islands so that was fine we just didn't enjoy the experience [Side was similar but even more expensive]
Wizard- you went to the wrong place! There are parts of Turkey that are not for me but might have been when I was 20! Bodrum and Marmaris are two of them and often the places where Brits go for their first Turkish holiday. There are some lovely little places, we frequently go to the peninsula south of Bodrum, the Datca peninsula. It is beautiful, mostly undeveloped with no hassle from the shops and restaurants. If it weren't for the mosques you could compare it with a Greek Island 30 years ago. Many of the beaches are empty even in high season and the area is famous for it's pure air and water quality. Most of the hotels and pensions are small and friendly and there is no mass European tourism or large AI hotels.
right place/wrong place doesn't matter [we went out and about too as I'm into archaeological sites] both herself and i just didn't like Turkey no further discussion will make us change our minds.. sorry

wizard
I also think Greece and Turkey are completely different (been to Greece six times and Turkey twice and its an option for next year). I certainly wouldn't say if you like one you would necessarily like the other either and wouldn't recommend it purely on that basis alone.
Hiya, Like you up until 12 years ago, we had only been to Greece..........Now it's Turkey all the way. Fantastic.
We have been to Bodrum and surrounding areas a few times, and we are back in Spetember to Turgutreis, a few miles outside Bodrum.

If you like beaches, then Bodrum town is a no go area, try the Peninsula, Turgutreis or Gumbet.
Bodrum town offers good sightseeing, and excellent nightlife, some really decent shops in and around the harbour, and the new marina has some designer shops and fantastic well priced cafe's and bars.
If you need any help with hotels, areas or just general info, then give me a shout, been a few times.......so have some knowledge. :sun2
It always seems to be that Turkey creates more differing opinions about whether it's good or not than any other holiday place. Mind you it's a good job that we don't all like the same place or it would be terribly busy LOL!!

I'm different from Wizard - in the past I've done both Turkey and Greece and much prefer Turkey. Having said that, if I had visited Marmaris on my first trip to Turkey, I don't know that I would have returned - but then again, that's only my opinion and I know that loads of people love Marmaris. The first time we went to Turkey, we visited Gumbet and fell in love with the place - so much so that we have now bought a place over there.

There's loads of places to choose from on the Bodrum peninsula, just do your research carefully so that you choose a place that suits you. It's 35km from the airport to Bodrum so it's a nice short trip. If you have any more questions, just ask - we visit about five times a year (both in and out of season) so know the area pretty well.
Any recommendations of studios/apartments very welcome please. You never know we may go as a change from Greece,
Sariyaz Hotel - Bodrum. Lovely small hotel, about 22 rooms, very peaceful but only a 10-15 min walk to the centre. Went there last August and although the hotel was full we had the pool area virtually to ourselves. I think most of the guests were either Italian or French and did not seem interested in staying around the pool. I put some photos on Tripadvisor if you want to have a look.
right place/wrong place doesn't matter [we went out and about too as I'm into archaeological sites] both herself and i just didn't like Turkey no further discussion will make us change our minds.. sorry

A bit closed minded that I think. If the only two Greek places I'd ever been to were Kardamena and Laganas then I'd hate Greece, but I tried other places and loved it. Its wrong (and ignorant) to assume that all places are the same, when you have only ever visited somewhere a couple of times. I've never holidayed in Turkey, though Ive been to Bodrum & Marmaris & Icemeler from a couple of Greek islands, but I'm interested in Bitek. Looks nice and quiet. Any thoughts??
Do you mean Bitez? Its a nice place with a beach and watersports available. It's also not far from Bodrum so you can hop on a bus for a change. There are quite a lot of nice places on the Bodrum peninsula. Gundogan, Yalikavak, Turgutreis and Gumusluk.
we are going to bodrum next week wondering if theres any markets boat trips, whats a must see or a must miss??? thanks
Whereabouts are you staying? There's boat trips galore - take a walk round and see which looks good, talk to others who have been on them - there's lively and quiet ones to choose from. Bodrum has two market days (the market is behind the bus station) - Tuesday is a general market (clothes, bags, etc) and Friday is more fruit and veg but interesting to look round. There's also a market in Turgetreis in Saturday which is good. From Bodrum, you can catch a dolmus to explore other places on the peninsula. The jeep trips are good and you get to see a different side of the place. If you like a bit of culture, the castle is great to look round - some fantastic views. Have a Turkish bath - you'll feel great after.

If you give us a bit more information about yourselves - what you like and don't like - I can maybe help a bit more. We have a house in Gumbet (next door to Bodrum) and visit at least five times a year.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.