Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
due to go to mamaris 11th sept,3rd time this year,we stay in armutalan which is not near main road,ive also been to sharm this year so terrorist threats dont usually worry me,however my 15year old daughter doesnt want to go mamaris now,and also my eldest daughter is 6 months pregnant and my grandson is 5 dont know if i want to risk there safety if these idiots are still in the resort,i feel for the people of mamaris who have had a hard enough season this year,maybe if we are extra carefull get taxis etc we will be fine think il see what happens over next few days
mariaxx658 wrote:
Im supposed to be going to marmaris next monday im really worried about going i know i shouldnt let these idiots spoil my holiday i have been really looking forward to going back to marmaris as i havent been there for about five years .

But now im not sure if i want to go but if i dont want to go will my holiday company offer me somewhere else ?

Maria ... in view of this recent incident, your concerns are quite understandable. However, please ensure that those concerns along with any decisions about your holiday plans are based solely on the confirmed facts of the situation, rather than some of the unsubstantiated claims which were made earlier in this thread.

If you still have worries about proceeding with your holiday plans, speak to your travel agent or tour operator in the hope that they will be sympathetic towards you. However, as the threat of terrorism in Turkey has been known for some considerble time, probably since before your holiday was booked, it is perhaps unlikely that you will be allowed to make any alterations at this stage without penalty. If it had been a totally unexpected or unpredicted situation, the travel industry may have reacted differently. But the Foreign Office has warned of the potential risk for some time and so as far as the travel industry is concerned, you are making your holiday plans fully aware of the possible risk.

For more info and advice from the FCO about travel to Turkey please click here.

If that page seems alarming, compare FCO advice for Turkey against warnings for other countries. Sadly, warnings about the risk of terrorism exist for many countries now.

David
genius, we were in marmaris july ,aug.our daughter was 7nhalf months pregnant,i was paronoid as hell then ,we go back the 7th of sept our 4th visit this year .i will have eyes like a hawk,just keep youre family together .,hopefully now is the best time to go ,,,after the event,just me and hubby this time,need a holiday to get over the last :lol: .pregnant daughter was a nitemare :lol: never again :?
Thanks Chelseaboy. I have seen loads of news broadcasts and no fatalities reported. Taxman i agree wholeheartedly and i will be going to Marmaris in September as planned.
thanks ladyjan, hope my daughter wont be a nitemare its to hot etc,lets just hope nothing else happens there,dont think my grandson would be happy if i told him he wasnt going,apart from my lovely boat trip which i cant wait to do and my visit to icmeler market we will just stay in armutalan and be very carefull
I agree with the previous posts . We shouldn't let a few mindless extremists put us off going to Turkey . I think we will be even safer going there at this time as there will be an increase of police in the resorts , everyone will be more vigilant ,, and the " scum " who did it will have bolted back to their holes .
I am going to Icmeler on the 11th Sept , but wish it was tomorrow
You are totally correct chelsea boy !!!!!!! I also wish to those injured a big get well. ) And that even in other parts of Turkey are hearts are with you.

looks like they have come down your way carreta. hope you are ok
We are due to go to Marmaris this Friday for 2 weeks, with 16 year old lad, my wife is now very worried about him going off on his own like he does over here, I know what will be will be but you can't help thinking of what if. The thing is after looking forward to a great relaxing break we will and others will be thinking of not leaving the hotel / apartments etc. I know that my lad will want his freedom and we will be worrying for the whole 2 weeks especially now we have learned that another bomb has gone off in Antalya. Really don't know what to do for the best? I am not that worried but my wife is, my lad does not know yet.
I fly out on friday and unless advised by the FCO not to go, or the flight is cancelled, I'll be going. I won't be beaten by a bunch a loonies! Having said that, due to restrictions on hang luggage, I can't take my usual camera equipment with me for my diving expeditions so they've already won to a certain extent. Not much I can do about that though, I'll still enjoy the underwater world and my time in Turkey regardless.

See you all in Icmeler!

Darren

PS; click here for the latest from the FCO.
Can anyone help? i am searching for email for bluebay hotel marmaris.
Thankyou.
try this jagger. http://www.bluebayshotel.com/bluebays.htm .. i was there this morning saying goodbye to my friends.... very busy place
Hello all,

I am going to Marmaris with the family on Friday (1st September)

After all these attacks / bombing I am very worried about going.

What are the odds of this happening whilst I am in Marmaris? .. I've heard alot of people say "they dont attack the same place twice"

If you was heading to Marmaris with-in the next week, would you go?

Any advice would be brilliant!

Thanks!
I personally would go. We have had much more serious terror threats in this country. You have to make your own decision but read the posts on the Marmaris bombings
lk

I go on the 4th and feel the same as you i really dont know if i want to go anymore .

I have been looking forward to my holiday for months .

Im so angry :evil: with these people.
I am going to Icmeler on 11th Sept and can't wait to go . I feel just as safe going to Turkey as i would going to London
Lk .....

No one can answers your questions as no one knows when or if or where there will be another attack.

I know how you feel as my husband and i fly out on Thursday to Marmaris.
I have just phoned the travel agent now to ask how much of the holiday payment we would loss if we cancelled she said all of it!

If my husband would let me and i felt 100% that i didn't want to go ( i would say i feel 80% at the minute) then i would cancel and forget about the money we have paid to go.

All i can is that it has happened now and the police will be twice as more on the look out for anything than they would if it hadn't have happened
and
they don't normally go back to the same place twice as quick
and
what is meant to be is meant to be.

We will not be using the dolmus to travel around we will take taxis and we will be extra vigilant.

I am as worried as you LK.

Red
its a personal choice... i havent seen people panicking here.most are getting on with their holiday.For us that live here, i for one will not be leaving. security is now tighter then usual.The question is where is safe?Turks still want to visit the uk despite 7/7 and the recent scares in the airports..................
Hi LK, If you cancel, you won't get your money back. I know this is an unnerving situation for everyone. All I can say is just keep watching National News ie BBCNews24 and keep up with the threads on here. Give it a couple of days and HOPEFULLY, things will be calming down. Don't let it spoil or deter you from your holiday, we are in the same boat as you, as we are due to fly out on 14th Sept. As it stands, we are still going, the real Turkish people need our Tourism, don't let a minority spoil it for the majority.
First choice are offering cancellations or alternative holidays, see here

http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/latestnews5.html
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.