Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
Boot scooters
6 Posts
Hi there Jeffro

have just booked for next year with 1st Choice (Airline is Thompson Fly) and there is no extra charge for my Mums scooter (they said so long as it folds down for storage on the aircraft) So hopefully there should be no problem.....
Hello
I have a small scooter that fits in the boot of my car, I have taken this scooter with me every time I have gone on hoilday, the only time I have had trouble was with thompson are last holiday was to costa blanca, to the Flamingo Oaosis, the holiday was great the coach drivers were very bad.
Thompson have there own coaches with Reps on them, if you have a scooter they dont like it at all,they will stop you putting your scooter on and if you dont stand there and wait you will be lucky if they put it on they will put everything else on first every suitcase prams, I had shorts on and they could see I had calipers on both legs but I had stand there and drag the scooter around behind the driver while the Rep looked on after they put everything on the driver looked at the rep and when she said yes it could go on my scooter was put on, I think its disgusting the they treat disabled people, have traveled for years and only had this with thompson
best of luck hope you have treatment then I did.

Fred
Please don't forget about insuring any expensive mobility equipment you take abroad, airlines have been known to damage wheelchairs and scooters and any existing insurance may only cover them while in the UK.

You may also need to take an extension lead to go with your continental adaptor to charge them easily.

Happy travels. :tup
Hi there

in PDI at the moment and I must say was nervous about travelling with my mum (and her scooter). I must say it was the least stressful journey yet! From Belfast airport - Las Margaritas in PDI - no problems at all. Mum even got to keep the scooter right up to the door of the plane......... we did not even have to dismantle it and at Las Palmas airport, it came out on the luggage carousel..... Hope all is as smooth on the way home!!!!
Hi, I travelled with my scooter, Manchester to Palma in July, no charge.
No problems going apart from a slight concern over disconnecting the batteries, we didn't want them boarding separately as they are relatively small in comparison with some, but once we had explained that they were slot in and not plug in they were fine, I drove it to the door of the plane, they just wanted it in freewheel so they could push it back for loading.
On arrival we had to depart last, they brought the ambulift to the plane, we all got on, my scooter was already on it, we were taken through a different passport control, the staff dealt with that, then they lead us to the carousel.
We had pre-arranged for a private mini bus to transfer us to hotel as I have problems with the coach steps.
Coming back not as easy, had to check scooter in special luggage where the insisted it went through the hand luggage x ray machine, they stood and waited for us to lift it onto the belt, we told them if they wanted it up there they would have to get help because we couldn't do it, then they said to take it apart but we would have to get some more security labels, we told them check in had closed, so they took it apart, x rayed each bit and put it back together again, they then folded the back of the seat down and taped it with yards of brown sellotape, and the arms and batteries were taped to the seat,Then we were taken to the plane on a mini people mover.
In Manchester the pilot forgot to tell ground staff we needed a wheelchair as the had no lift for that stand, we waited nearly an hour while the staff cleaned, restocked and fueled ready for take off,
I was taken to the carousel by a lovely man, he found the scooter, he was very apologetic because although the scooter was fine and ready to drive, all the tape had been removed but the brown sticky stuff had bonded itself to the vinyl seat, not a pretty sight, we told him not to worry it wasn't Manchester that had taped it up.
If you ever get this tape bonded to yours you can easily remove it with Betterwear sticky stuff remover.
Just keep saying " This to will pass " lol.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.