Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Brand Malta
37 Posts
Must admit that we don't care how many other people go to Malta for holidays or not, all that matters to us is that we continue to like it.

Sliema2
I think that people should consider what changes might be made so that Malta continues to enjoy revenue from tourism, whilst at the same time maintaining the islands individual character.

If tourist numbers fall, revenue falls, hotels/bars/restaurants may close, there will be fewer facilities and the quality of provision will also suffer.

I'm sure that you wouldn't want to see the Maltese people disadvantaged because of this!

This is a real opportunity for people to contribute to policy and who better than the customers who form the majority of Malta's tourists!

Some of the changes being proposed might mean that the things you like about Malta may not remain the same for very long!!

Ciao

Susan
I really don't think that a drop in tourism will result in Dingli cliffs closing, or the crystal blue seas being closed, or the country walks being abolished, or the villages being closed down etc etc, or Malta's unique history being foprgotten about, you see the things we enjoy about Malta the most are things that are natural or have been there for centuries, so what if beer or hobz goes up or the odd bar unfortunately closes, there will always be an alternative somewhere close by and we will always pay that little bit extra if we have to, so it really is not an issue to us.

Sliema2
A drop in tourism will mean less money coming into Malta, less jobs for the locals, maybe they will then have to invest in manufacturing factories and other forms of revenue i.e more fish farms that pollute the environment. More power stations will have to be built but where? em.... Dingli Cliffs!!!

Tourism will affect the Islands greatly and their Government quite rightly are now looking into the problems. Give credit where it is due they are asking for your opinions.
Hi M&N, you are of course right that there is some credit due, they have recognised that there is a problem and they are still trying to do some thing about it, notice though that I used the word "still" I say that because we filled out our very first MTA tourist questionaire in March 1999, so they obviously knew there was a problem or at least the potential of one 7 years ago, so here we are all those years since and they still haven't worked it out hence my appathy about it, seen it and heard it all before, thats why it isn't an issue for me, however for the sake of the countries economy I sincerely hope that Dr Zammit-Dimech earns his salary for once and get's it right at long last, but I reiterate we love Malta no matter what and it would have to suffer very very and serious dramatic changes overnight for us to not want to go or live there.

Best wishes
Sliema2
Hi Sliema2 & M & N, & sdwill,

Not flying until later today and although there are airport security alerts at the moment I'm still looking forward to our hols.

I have noticed over the years that there does seem to be a drop in the numbers of people opting to go to Malta from the UK but I would have thought that this is well compensated by the numbers that now visit Malta from other countries like France and Germany. I know that some years ago we met very few non-UK visitors but now there are lots especially young people learning English, though I would have thought England was the best place to do that!

As you know we love Malta but don't expect everyone else to feel the same. It may well be that as has been proved with Spanish destinations the market can fluctuate and that's what might be happening now. More advertising in the UK would help but I often wonder how much damage has been done by the very few seedy hotels (we know who they are!), that folks have had to endure in the past??

Oh well sahha for now,

Trev
Hi Trev, you make a very good point there mate because according to friends in Malta and from our own experience there has been a marked increase in people from other parts of Europe visting Malta, namely Dutch, Belgians and Scandanavian countries, aswell of course as Germans, Italians and Spanish, enjoy your trip and stay safe mate.

Regards
Sliema2
Statistics show that whilst the numbers of tourists from destinations such as Germany and France rose, the overall numbers of tourists to the islands fell.

Bluntly put, this means less LM in everyone's pockets! In the period between January to June 2006 that meant 2.1million less LM than the same period last year! That's a big chunk of a small country's GDP!

M&N, I think you're right, if Malta can't gain income from tourists then they can't fund protection schemes for the heritage sites, they can't improve the cleanliness of the sea water or the beaches to Blue Flag standard because they can't build sewage treatment plants, they can't maintain the beautiful architecture and they might well build something appalling on Dingli cliffs!

Some of the ideas that they are proposing are to :-

increase the numbers of off-season tourists.
examine the feasibility of low cost airlines
increase numbers of more 'mature' language students
advertise Malta as a short-break destination i.e. city breaks
encourage more 'sports' tourists i.e. diving, sailing, rock climbing
become a stopping point for cruise liners

At the moment there are obvious things that need to be done to achieve these goals. The members of this forum are uniquely placed to offer insight into what could be done to attract more tourists to the benefit of all!

For myself, I'd like to see the beaches reach Blue Flag status, I think Gozo could become an excellent eco-tourism/luxury destination, I'd like to see more facilities catering specifically for families, I think that restoration of the existing fortifications and historical sites is a priority.

Malta could also do more to attract International events/artists. The International firework show this year was excellent, and Malta won first prize!

I really do think this is an important topic for debate and we shouldn't become blase about it.

Susan
Hello Trev'

Good luck with the airport check-in. Remember not to take any hair gel or lotions in your hand luggage! :lol:

Unfortunately the increase (if any) of other tourist going to Malta is not making up for the declining Brits' Hence all the 'foreign' students learning English, occupying hotels and making a nuisance of themselves to holidaymakers.
I think Malta needs to advertise itself on the unrivalled aspects such as the history,historic sites, Scuba diving facilities and likes thereof, similar to what Australia, Spain e.t.c do! Yes I agree with you that the unfortunate experiences that people have in some of the well known hotels (for the wrong reasons) Also Slimeshare! does not do the reputation of the Islands any good whatsoever.
Sliema2 has already mentioned that these things have been pointed out to the Government in the past but for reasons only known to themselves :smokin they refuse to act upon them.
I think that the problems are a bit more immediate and that has prompted some action.

In the past Malta could rely on a steady stream of 'repeat' UK/European customers and the reliable package tourists who book well in advance. But the trend now is towards more independent travel and shorter breaks. People are looking towards Eastern Europe and Turkey where you seem to get more for your money. Malta will always be a favourite destination for some people, but that's not enough.

If I had the choice I'd be in Malta for either the autumn or the spring when the weather is cooler and everything is a bit greener (and no foriegn language students). This year we came to live in St Julians in February and most of the tourist facilities were closed until at least the end of May, I thought that was a missed opportunity! All us sunstarved Brits dying for a bit of sun in Feb/March! My kids were swimming in the sea in April and the beaches/cafes were deserted (no jellyfish either).

Ciao

Susan
I would love to spend long weekends over in Malta and if I could get a return flight for around £80.00 then I would probably be over there at least once a month.
Exactly, you, me and quite a few others I expect! This is just the sort of thing the MTA needs to know about.

In fact a better market research for them might be to ask people why they don't come to Malta for a holiday!

Ciao

Susan
Hello all, I have just sat and looked over this link with great intrest, having not long come back from Malta. I to noticed that in our hotel the mix of people from most E U countrys was more than the number of English, the point about the foriegn language students is a valid one. I noticed that in the hotel near ours they would stand on the paths in big groups and make it hard for people to get past and intimedate you, by the way most of these were Italians. there was even a report in the paper from a local man who had seen then throwing bottles out of the hotel at cars as the drove past, and they fill up the buses all the time with there big groups making it hard to get any were.
As for night life in Sliema were is it, once the World cup finished the bars just seemed to shut down. It may not be every bodys cup of tea but we like a bit of entertainment at night ( to old for Paceville ) but do like a Quiz, Karaoke or a singer/group to pass the night away, there was non of this to be found just sit next to the road with the fumes from all the old cars and buses. what is needed is some sort of square like they have in other E U holiday resorts with bars and restuarants so you can sit and have a beer or two or watch a show or enjoy a nice meal under the stars.
I have been to Malta five time and enjoyed it every time, I have put this more than once about how we like the history, but I have to say that this time after this years holiday I think it will be a long time before we go back again.
I am working on my report for this holiday and will post it soon then you will see why I may not go back for a long time.

Dave :shock:
Hi Dave. Sorry to hear of your concerns,i,m looking fwd to your report.
Having been a regular to Malta for the past 20 years.I feel i am qualified enough to make my own observations.
I stayed in Sliema,and as Dave has rightly pointed out,there is nothing to do in the evenings.Sliema has been described as chic,with lots of pavement cafes to wind away the evenings.My description would be boring,There needs to be a caberet club or bar,maybe a kareoke,anything to liven the place up.
I have a five year old son,so Paceville is out of the question,if anyone can tell me where there,s a good family bar in Sliema,please tell me,and i don,t just mean where you can take a child and sit him down all night.
Again as Dave pointed out,the island is full of students hanging around in groups and yet spending very little money,yet i saw many places offering discounts to students.
The Promenade in Sliema has building work going on,Tigne Point still has to be completed,yet you go away in the Summer,and don,t want to have to put up with all the noise from building sites.Add to this,many empty shops and apartments that the locals can ill afford,if Malta doesn,t move quickly,what very little Brits it is attracting,they will lose them altogether.Quite simply Malta isn,t offering value for money anymore.Part of the hotel i have stayed in many times,has now trying to attract holiday ownership,in other words timeshare.
I came back from Malta 2 days ago.Sure the best part was meeting up with friends.I would normally go back in Oct,but not this time,another lost tourist for the island to report.
Malta - Start getting your act together.
a
Hello Dave.

Long time no read. Sorry your holiday was not all it should have been. Look forward to reading your report. Did you ever make it to the Victoria?

It is nice to see that this topic posted by Susan (sdwill) is now beginning to get the serious, constructive comments that it deserves. There are far too many 'I'm alright jacks' in this world.

If the serious, constructive comments and thoughts keep being posted on this topic I think, when it has run it's course, it would do no harm at all to send a print-out of it to the MTA. So keep you thoughts, experiences and suggestions coming.

Allan
It is very sad to read these two reports above, but both make very valid points.

In my opinion the teenage language students do very little for Malta. In terms of tourist revenue they certainly spend very little and cause a huge amount of inconvenience for genuine tourists and locals alike. I read a newspaper report of 3 Russian youths arrested for causing serious damage to parked cars.

As I live in Spinola Bay I can also sympathise with the lack of child friendly facilities in the vicinity. There are the Independence Gardens with playparks past Balluta Bay but hopefully the park behind the Spinola Palace should soon be completed as well. We do eat at a couple of restaurants in Spinola Bay, right by the waters edge and the children go and see the ducks or look for fish. However I am never quite happy to let them play so close to the water (two of them don't swim very well!). But other streetside bars are totally unsuitable. A square or pedestrianised street is a great idea and just what the area needs.

The restaurant in the grounds of the Spinola Palace (Girasole?)was putting on a cabaret evening on Thursday nights which featured traditional dancing and folk songs but that seemed to stop during the World Cup. (I could watch it from my balcony and it looked and sounded very good) I don't know if it's restarted yet?

As to accommodation, well we pay about double our UK monthly mortgage in rent for our apartment. Definitely not cheap and most accommodation in the area is priced likewise, even holiday lets. Local estate agents have told me they are expecting an 'adjustment' in property prices soon because nobody can afford them at the moment.

I think we've already highlighted some areas that people are concerned about and some things that people would not want to see changed in Malta i.e. the unique historical features.

Keep the ideas coming!

Ciao

Susan
Hi Susan
I noticed a number of letters from tourists posted in the Times of Malta.Most of the tourists were complaining about going to hotels and findinf them full of students,who stayed up half the night,making lots of noise,spending little money.Basically saying why should we come on holiday to put up with this.
Do you think the MTA are taking any notice of these complaints
Hi Malta b,

Well I don't have any inside information, but from reading the MTA Strategic Plan I should think that they're well aware of the aggravation caused by some students.

One of their stated aims is to try to encourage a more 'mature' student to Malta, one who would study more advanced levels of English Language I think.

Overall the revenue contribution made by the existing students is small and they're also quite a small percentage of the total number of tourists (although it might not seem so when you're in a hotel full of them!).

I suppose that from a hoteliers point of view, it is one way to fill rooms during the season. However I think that guests who are paying 3-400 sterling per week are right to be upset by the unruly behaviour.

The best solution might be to put them in purpose built facilities outside the main tourist areas - maybe the University Campus has halls of residence?

I do know that they use classrooms at Verdala School during the summer holidays and generally wreck the place.

Ciao

Susan
I first went to Malta for the culture as a 19 year old. That is I stayed in Qawra and between the Saturday and Friday I spent two days in the resort. This was with "Malta Bargains." There accomodation didn't put me off and I am returning in July 2007, this time for a fortnight.

To be honest there is too much to do in a 7 day trip, that a return trip to Malta is a must. At the end of the holiday I was exausted.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.