Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
doe wrote:
I think at that price AVIOS must be involved. Maybe that is just the taxes and fuel :think

I am investigating London City to JFK in business, but need to collect a few more miles first as recently used loads on Alicante in Business for 4 people.

Yep , just a few :D It is just the taxes and fuel , £ 506 per person
Used a companion voucher to get one flight free ( just taxes and fuel ) and then 120k AVIOS with taxes and fuel , then 5 nights at Hilton for £150 , yep 30 quid a night with points making up the balance , so then blew the budget by booking 3 nights at Al Maha desert resort http://www.al-maha.com

Havre a really nice flight to SFO Nivsy I've only been in CW on a 777 , would like to try the upstairs on a 747 and the 380 , I'm now saving madly to get enough AVIOS to do HKG in F next year , but realistically it will probably be CW unless the missus decides to buy the whole of tescos

like Doe I really like the look of the 318 to JFK from London city flight BA001 , the old Concorde number , I've read some really good reviews of that flight .... sounds fun
andy66 wrote:

like Doe I really like the look of the 318 to JFK from London city flight BA001 , the old Concorde number , I've read some really good reviews of that flight .... sounds fun

I'm pretty keen, but will have to join your wife and buy t'other half of Tesco.

I've got 20,000 miles trapped :( in a old BMI account that I never opened up a Diamond Cub account for, it would help if I could get them released to BA somehow

All I can say is WOW to the hotel in the link Andy - Enjoy :cheers
Doe :sun2
We are booked on a long haul flight with BA and are flying on a Boeing 747.
There are a few options for seating which we can choose from we like the idea of just two seats together rather than the three but cannot come to a decision, so please can anyone advise which we should opt for

Seats available are

51. B+C
51. H+J
52. H+J
53. H+J

Help and advise would be gratefully received
Thanks Tush
Rows 51 and 52 are OK would say 51 is the best. Row 53 might feel cramped due to the planes' curvature. Also row 53 may not have as much recline due to it being the last row. You could also be bothered by people queueing for the toilets when you are seated in the back row.

Must say I like the two seats together rather than three.
defo best going for the two seats together without third if option there, Sure you may have some people hanging around close by for toilets in the rows you mention but it is probably worth it.
I went to Vancouver in 51C, it was OK but all the economy seats are too narrow. 51 A is next to the window and would be better.
I flew back in 29A, this costs an extra £50, but you get more legroom because there is no seat in front. Also the middle seat was unoccupied so I had room to stick out my elbows and put my bits and bobs on the next table and seat.
Incidentally the plane I flew back on was BNLM which on the very next flight to Cape Town went wrong and stayed in Cape Town for 3 days. She has now been taken out of the BA fleet and has been ferried to Cardiff to have her seats removed and her undercarriage swapped for an older one before being ferried for her final trip to Victorville in the Californian desert to be broken up.
She seemed to be a nice plane, it's a shame she has to go, but she has done 109,000 hours and I suppose she is coming up to her D check.

By the way, I really liked BA long haul, the staff were great and the food wasn't bad either. Also plenty of drink!
I don't believe there is a 51A. Row 51 has just B&C B being next to the window albeit with a gap.
On the seat plans I viewed both " A " and " K " drop off so its B, C. D, E, F, G , H, J in a 2-4-2 layout look at http://www.thebasource.com Or. http://www.seatguru.com. It also states that the seats are a bit off centre in respect to the seats in front so the seat legs in front could hinder your foot/ legroom , not sure if this is really too much of a problem though as I've never sat in these seats so I don't have experience of them , but I imagine if travelling as a couple they look to be ideal .

Glad you enjoyed your trip Qman
We travelled in row 54 seats B & C last year to Capetown in a Lufthansa 747. Like BA's 747 not much leg room but it was nice not having to ask someone to move everytime we wanted to leave our seats and there was a fair bit of storage room down the side of the window seat.
Thanks everyone for your response, those of you who have traveled in those seats do you think it is worth the extra £60 each return ?
I guess only you can really decide if it is worth the money to reserve these seats - how do you value them?
My economy flight to Vancouver cost about £675, premium economy was £2500!!! Club class was £4000!!!!!
I like a bit of extra room because I'm not thin, but the price of premium is silly. I could have bought 3 seats for that amount, but they would probably have given me 29A, 34D and 49G!!

Yes I was wrong there is no 51A, it was 51B that I would recommend.
qman
sometimes it works out well. Last summer we booked WT+ for the return leg and they cost just £100 more. :D
Fiona, was it £100 each or for both whichever way it seems very cheap when you compare it to just reserving 2seats at £60
Cheers Tush
it was £100 each. I think I was just really lucky :D
you certainly where just checked to upgrade for Jan flight to Mumbai will be in excess of £300 each
We flew BA from heathrow to Mumbai recently. It was ok. Personally I wished we had paid extra for emirates. Plane was old, cabin crew pretty miserable and the IFE was pretty poor. It was the 747. You get what you pay for so lesson learned.
However you went Emirates then it would be with a stop via Dubai rather than direct with BA.....True the BA 747 is now showing its age and Emirates crews are not always great plus the 777 on emirates down the back tends to be 10 across - not always comfortable but the IFE is indeed better.
Emirates crew arent up to much and the food is worse!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.