Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Broadband Dongle
20 Posts
Fizzy, I'm in Goa at the moment, (Candolim) using a Photon+ dongle. Purchased it in the elephant shop. Dongle costs 2,400 rupees plus 1,000 rupees per month for unlimited downloads. Sorry don't know where to purchase one in calangute, but I'm sure somebody on here will know.
We got ours from a shop in Post Office Road, Calangute! Near the Saturday morning market.
Likewise - goangirl .Fizzy2, Its just South of the Post office ,virtually next door down . I have found Tata photon to be the most reliable and fastest , albeit a bit more expensive.
I too got the Tata Photon from Elephant Shop. However, be aware that the subsequent months at 1000 rps is not unlimited usage. After that it is 4mb (whatever that means!). I am on my second month and so far 1000 rps top up has lasted 2 weeks but I don't stay on for more than 30 minutes at a time. Having said that, it is very fast in comparison to the Idea dongle I had last year.
Candybabe
I topped up on the 19th January and I got 13578.0 MB valid until 18th February. I only used a quater of my allowance last month. I go on most days for at least an hour sometimes more if we stay in of an evening. I was sceptical of the "unlimited downloads" but so far its been more than enough.
  • Edited by Joan_H 2011-01-29 12:22:26
Joan H
Excuse my ignorance but how do I check how much of the allowance I have used on my Tata Photon. I am a bit of an IT dunce when it comes to dongles. I know how to make it work, and that it about it! I asked the chap in the Elephant Shop but he didn't seem to know.
Candybabe
Candybabe, when you set up your account on line you have to give a phone number. I gave the indian number I use here. Each evening I get a text from Photon telling me the remaining balance. Also on the photon start page, under where you connect you should see a log icon, if you click that it will tell you your usage.
It took me a while to work it out. When I purchased the dongle the guy in the elephant shop told me, just plug it in and away you go. It wasn't that simple. lol Hope this helps.
Hi I have an unlocked dongle which I use in the UK which works with any network. Can I buy a sim card for it in Goa that will work? Has anybody else tried this?
I also use tata photon + and find it by far the best speeds are good,and little dragon is on from dawn till dusk,Fizzy nearest place for you is tata shop right next to the post office/entrance to market post office road,take your lap top in with you girl in there will set it all up in 5 mins you will need a copy of your passport and visa
I think for me it might be different? I am on "pay as you go". I did not have to set up an account on line. I am out here for 4 months only and was told the dongle will work again when I am back again in November. Fingers crossed but if there is a better way for me to do it next time, please let me know.
Thanks to everyone for your advice, hubby has duly read your replies and says a big Thank you too. :tup The technical side I will leave to him, we just want to be able to keep in regular touch with our daughter whilst there - never bothered taking the laptop before .

Thanks again......Fizz xx
Hi Fizzy

Like many others, I got a Photon+ from the shop near Calangute post office. They also set up the laptop and loaded on the necessary software.

I don't know if this is usual, but they asked us for proof of address. We provided an electricity bill.

You will need copies of passport, visa and a photo.

The speed of the Photon is almost as good as at home. I had the Tata Indicom dial up dongle before and there's no comparison.
Thank you KatieP..............I'll pass that info on to the OH.

Fizz
I have now registered so I get a daily text to say how much usage I have left. Must say that even using it 2 hours a day is not denting the capacity at all! Thanks Joan H for the tip.

Interesting that once putting in my dongle number it told me I was David Beresford and living in the Alor Grande. I am not him and do not live in the Alor but, hey, who cares! Last year my mobile phone was also showing me as someone completely different! I think it is an Elephant Shop thing - they get you registered as anyone - so much for security being important in India. I most certainly was NOT asked by them where I lived and they were happy with a copy of my passport and visa.
Candybabe, same thing happened to me. I was registered as Elsie Wright living at the Highland beach hotel. I managed to change the name a few days later by going back into the account, couldn't alter the address though. Slightly :offtop when they photocopied my passport and visa Info I noticed he had a stack of the filled in forms in a pile on the floor. As you said so much for security. What happens to them all is anyones guess.
Did you also have my problem in that I was without service for 6 days in January because of "registration error" - same thing happened last year with our mobiles! I am slowly getting used to Indian inefficiency!
Yes, I was without for 3 days in January because the paperwork wasn't filled in and sent off. Everything ok now.
Just in case anybody has an unlocked dongle, here are the settings for airtel.
When you purchase the sim get them to set up data / web browsing it costs 98irp extra and, so I was told but and don't know how long it will last, gives you 2 meg for a month.

APN - Static
APN - airtelgprs.com
USERNAME - Blank
Password - Blank
Dial up acess no *99#

The signal in our apartment is not good so a little slow but if you have a good 3G signal it is a lot faster.

Al
If any one has a 3G Kindle you will be glad to know you get free internet access in goa.
The speed is not bad but I only get EDGE access rather than 3G.

Sam
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.