General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
budget holiday
8 Posts
i would recommend the Canary Islands to anyone. You can get some pretty good deals for both SC and AI. My personal preference is AI, as even with fussy eaters, there will be something to suit the children and of course, the constant supply of ice cream and drinks they seem to require is all in with it. The Canaries are approx 4 hours flying time away and the weather is likely to be good in March. In addition, if you do decide to go SC, eating out is relatively cheap and there is always something to cater for every taste ( even McDonalds can be found!)

In Lanzarote, i would recommend staying in Costa Teguise..too many good hotels to pick one, but my kids favourite is Lanzarote Bay. (AI)
In Tenerife, we stay generally in Los Cristianos and the kids always choose Atlantida ( SC), In Gran Canaria, we like so many resorts it's hard to choose, but i think the kids would go for Amadores or Playa Taurito.
There is so much to choose from on any of the canary islands and i am sure your kids would love it. ( my kids are now teenagers and still want to return to the Canaries year after year)
Thanks for that. We went to Tenerife in peak weeks around 5 years ago and believe it or not didn't have very nice weather. Although very warm the whole week was very overcast. This rather put us off the Canaries, but perhaps its time for another look.
Helen,
Have you thought about Alcudia in Majorca? Took the kids a couple of years ago and they loved it.

Sally
Thanks Sally. I just thought Alcudia was a little bit too far from Palma Airport. I along with the kids don't like travelling too far in a bus so the closer to the airport the better.
Helen, if you do choose any of the canaries, then if travelling on a bus is a problem ( my boy has the same problem still!) i would go for Lanzarote. Costa Teguise is approx 7km from Arreciffe airport and you can grab a taxi outside the airport for less than 15 euro's. The added advantage to that is it will deliver you straight to your hotel in approx 10 minutes rather than going to every drop off point on the way.

the transfer time is also not too bad in Tenerife, but again, i would go for the taxi. It took us less than 20 mins and was less than 20 euro's to go from the airport to LC.

Gran Canaria has the longest transfer time ( we went on the bus and it was a nightmare) and my opinion is that the road system is not as well developed as in the other 2 islands. It took us 45 mins to get dropped off (and we were first drop off) but coming back the journey was almost 2 hours as we were first pick up and we had to call at every hotel on the way. Even i felt ill by the time we got to the airport and we were late for check in! We are going back in November and will definitely be going by taxi or hiring a car at the airport..

Have you thought about cyprus?
Hi Val & Rob! Thanks for that info. Hubby & I went to Cyprus last year & found it expensive. ( The only holiday we've ever been on where we ran out of money) Thank goodness for the cashpoint.
Airport to Alcudia takes about 45 minutes and if it's daylight it's quite nice for the lids to look out of the windows! My daughter like to try and spot ostidges. You could offer them a euro for every one they see! Just make sure you point to the other side of the road if you see an Ostridge farm or that'll be your budget gone! :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.