Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Bugs In Turkey
21 Posts
Hiya
Not a great lover of bugs myself. Been in Marmaris 3 times now and going back this year. Quite honestly have not seen many bugs at all. Don't worry it will be fine :D
I don't remember seeing any bugs at all in Turkey (apart from the odd holiday rep) so they can't have been very impressive. Not even a mosquito springs to mind although I know some people have been bothered by these.
ive seen quite a lot of bugs over the 25 years ive been going to turkey, i do go about 4-5 times a year so on average will see more than the average holiday maker but only last year we saw jumping spiders and huge flying things not sure what they were but they were mainly around the swimming pool, wasps,biting flys, mosquitos,horseflys,hornets and a snake, saying that i only got a few mozzie & fly bites and 1 wasp bite, i dont want to frighten you but i also dont want you going to turkey thinking there isnt many insects about, wasps are worse in oct so you should be ok with them, but they do come around when youre eating outside etc, just put plenty of insect spray on and that should keep some of them away
I saw my first spider last year in all the 13 years I have been to Marmaris/Icmeler, apart from wasps and mozzies never seen anything else :D
You're quite right, of course. It was so sill that I didn't think anyone would take it seriously. Now changed.
^ well that was helpfull given the fact the poster is terrified of bugs
Hi

Weve been to Turkey a few times,but have not seen many bugs at all,a few mosquitos perhaps, but not a problem.

Paul
oh thankyou all very much..I know that that i will be buying alot more insect spray then i thought and i hope i dont see no jumping spiders...the thought of that makes me cringe...as i said before thanks for telling me..or i shall say warning me about the bugs!
Don't worry about the jumping spiders, although they move at a hell of a pace it is always, in my experience, in the opposite direction, they don't seem to be a very brave species.
i was in marmaris in oct last year... certainly didnt see any wasps, or i wouldnt be going back :shock: (unlike zante the year b4, they terrorised me... enough to put me off going back)!
but i didnt see anything else either (in marmaris)... dear god... jumping spiders? :cry: if i saw them, id be put off for life....
the 1 thing i was bothered by, was the blooming mozzies, i got chewed to bits, so this year im definatley going to be investing in loads of insect repellent stuff, including fly spray for my hotel room!
I've not seen any of these spiders either in my time of going to marmaris. Maybe I was just lucky!! The first year I went I got a couple of mosquito bites but they haven't bothered me since and that is four years on.

I've also heard people mention cockroaches before, personally I have never seen any in Marmaris and really couldn't believe when she said she had saw them, because I have not seen one. How about you's? You's seen any at all?
sadly yes ive seen a few cockroaches too but not many over the years ive been going, as for wasps there are always loads there when i go infact the last 2 octs ive been stung and never in my life have i ever been stung grr,everytime we eat outside they seem to come no matter what month it is grrr, my mother lives in turkey so i wont go into what insects shes had in her house or it might put you off going lol, ive seen quite a few jumping spiders, they are quite small but they do bite although rare, but it is best to be forewarned, but as i said due to amount of visits each year to turkey im bound to see more than someone that goes once a year so maybe thats why i see so many bugs, in fact the bug i hate the most is a daddy long legs :twisted: and theres plenty of them about here !!!!
Im terrified of bugs too Louise and can tell you that before i went to marmaris for the 1st time i was worried about them. I have been a few times now and have not had any problems, i must have only seen about 3 or 4 cochroaches too, no spiders, i have seen wasps and fly things but they hav nt been near me. Try not to worry too much about it.
As for the mozzies, i always use Avon skin so soft dry oil spray (green one) and i have never been bitten once, i also use it to spray around my room especially curtains, bedding etc... and on the light bulbs.

The worse thing for me in Marmaris is the stray cats :twisted: so i hope you dont mind them. Although saying that, i seen a lot less of them last year than i did the years previous.
ive lived in turkey for many years and i'm not an lover of creepy crawlies either..BUT..i saw more in the UK than i have here..and in the autumn in Wales i couldnT sleep for fear of the HUGE house spiders that used to come out every year..as big as mice ..i swear it!!
jumping spiders..or wolf spiders as they are called in the uk are just a numerous in country areas in Britainas they are here..
if the hotel/bar/restaurant is clean then cockroaches shouldn't be a problem...
you can always get a pet geko.(kertenkele)..small lizard..to chase them off!!! :P
:D wow thanks!
I have read holiday reports about where im staying, and know one has commented on the appartments being dirty, so i think that im pretty safe when it comes to crockroaches!!!!
as i have already said
Many thanks for taking the time to set my mind straight
Louise 8)
we have a holiday home in gumusluk and i always contact a turkish guy who spreays our whole apt inc garden for £30 once he has done that nothing is alive that was in there and anything that does go in comes out pretty quick or is dead pretty quick, also when we sit on our patio its quite funny to watch flying insects fly towards patio then veer off quick as he sprays all the patio as well ,great value for money. it lasts about 6 weeks.john
Thats well worth it biggles, i would do it too.
Ask him if he would consider commuting to England and doing my house for giant spiders :lol:
Where did you see a snake not in Icmeler i hope as i have dreadful phobia regarding them
hi

i saw the snake as i opened the door to my mothers house in beldibi near marmaris it slithered out of plant pot and moved towards front door ive never shut the door so quick, it was black and about 4 ft grrrr, not sure what it was ,my hubby was left outside lol and he said it went quickly over the wall
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.